I need help...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatsMySimi

Reaction score
Okay, so I wasn't sure where to postthis, since it does involve rabbits, but if it needs to be moved, a mod can go ahead.

Alright. I've got 3 rabbits. I'd love to keep them all, and my sister has agreed to keep one for me (She lives here in the smae house), and I'd like to keep the other two, as well. The other two are Simi, my lionhead, and Acheron, my holland lop BUCK. She's not spayed, and he's not neutered. I'd love nothing more than to have him neutered and bond the two, but I can't afford it.

So, I've got 2 questions.
- What can I do to make some money, to have him neutered (Other than babysitting, I already do that... But money goes to family stuff most of the time).
- Does anyone who lives near Houlton Maine know how much it would cost me to have a vet located in Houlton Maine neuter Ash?

Thank you.

Get a job? How old are you? I've been working for about a year, since I was 15. I work 4 hours Saturdays, and 2.5 hours Monday evenings, so am getting just over £20 per week (the nmw for 16 year olds here is £3.40 per hour.)

Even if you're not 16 yet, a lot of places will take you on and pay cash in hand, will probably be below minimum wage though.

I do the till in a shop - it's dull but it's not hard. Since I've worked I've been 100% responsible for my rabbits - food, litter, toys, vet care. If you are a good saver like me it builds up pretty quickly. :)

Ask for money for Christmases and birthdays too, then put that towards it.

But yeh, a job is your best bet. Maybe start hunting for a rabbit savvy vet now so you know what you are aiming for. Check the rabbit savvy vet list, also try phoning those around you and asking them testing questions to check their rabbit knowledge. Then when you have found one you are happy with, ask for what they charge for a neuter.

Could you possibly ask the vet to do it and let you make payments? Tell them the circumstances, how you need to have this done, but can't afford it right now. Sometimes if you are honest and tell them, they will work with you. If you babysit, maybe you could pay the vet like $20 a month?

is it snowing up by you? maybe you could start a snow shovelling service. charge a flat rate per hour or maybe for the whole job and shovel pathways or shovel cars out of the snow!

when's your birthday? demand money haha.

ALSO what about your sister who wants to keep sisi? is she old enough to possibly donate some of her birthday money to the cause to get them spayed/neutered?

i bet if you google something like kids making money or something of that nature (more properly worded, haha), then you would be able to figure something out, no?

lemonade stand?

or you can do what lucy did in Peanuts. start a psychiatric help stand in front of your house. but charge more than a nickel!! :):):)

good luck shay. let me know if any of these work. i'm trying to think of better ones!

tracy

ps: shay, if i remember correctly, you're 12 or 13, right? if so, for the knowledge of the rest of the forum, it's pretty difficult to find a job, and i don't believe you can legally be hired by a company that young. at least, thats the case in the united states. you need to be 16, possibly 15 in some places. so we need to help shay think of creative ways to make some cash!

I am only 14, so jobs around here are pretty slim...

My birthday isn't until March, and they've already given me my present... Hemmm... There is snow around here, but we all live in the woods, so the drive ways are long, and people usualy hire truck or tractors to plow them out...

I'm going to do some googeling, and such... See what I can do.

Sell some things of yours you don't really need. Like I really want a pair of rabbit converse shoes, so I'm selling some old video games to get them.

Yeh, you could sell stuff, maybe on ebay, anything like that.

XxMontanaxX wrote:
Sell some things of yours you don't really need. Like I really want a pair of rabbit converse shoes, so I'm selling some old video games to get them.

SCORE! why didn't i think of EBAY!?! i've been addicted to it lately too! that's a great idea shay, anything you don't need in your room, stick it on ebay. i bet you anything even the oddest stuffed animal you have will be bought for SOME price on ebay.

man that was smart montana.

tracy

I'll look around see what I can find, and list it on ebay...

I was also thinking making soem homemade rabbit treats, putting them together in little basket things and selling them, and doing the same with dog treats and such... I'd have to put money into it, but I probably could pull it off.

Selling stuff on Ebay is a fantastic idea. Can you sew, Shay? You can sew little snuggle bags for guinea pigs, hammocks & tubes for rats, fleece blankets for dogs and cats, ect. I am thinking about hitting up Joann's when they have their next huge fleece and flannel sales to sew up stuff for rats, sugar gliders, guinea pigs, and any other small rodent.

I looove making corn heating pads, as well ;).

Speaking of Ebay, I have a lovely pair of spurs that I need to sell on Ebay and have been meaning to for the past year, lol. That money can go towards flying Mal and Mad.

I can't sew, not really, but my mother can. And has her own busniess... Maybe if I got some people to buy a few things from her - she does horsey stuff - she'd give me half to put towards having Ash neutered..

Heck, if I can, maybe I'd bond all three, I don't know.

mods:

this is a great thread to hold on to! ways to raise money for your fur babies when you're a teen or younger!

thanks for posting the original question, shay!

tracy

Shay, I don't know about your parents, but I will sometimes pay my children to do some jobs around the house. Our older two earn money mowing the lawn (not now, of course) and the girls sometimes earn money doing some cleaning for me. Is it worth asking? I also think it's a good idea to ask the vet if you can pay over time, as someone else had suggested. They might be willing to work with you.

BTW, we had a litter of 4 babies at the end of October, and my daughter named one of the girls Shay! She's a black otter N. Dwarf. :)

Could you get your parents to loan you the money and then pay them back over time?

Do you get an allowance or anything? Even if you have to start by putting half or 3/4 away in the bank and not spend it. In some places you can work at 14 (Like McDonalds) but you get a trainee wage (Just under minimum wage) until you turn 15. Maybe try walking around your neighbourhood and collecting cans? I don't know about where you live, but there's so much littered bottlehere.. that it might help you make a small amount.

It all comes down to saving up :D. Ask for money with birthdays, Christmas, etc. instead of items, then put it away. Maybe try to cut back on any spending like clothes, ect. and put the money that you would originally spend on those items in the bank.

Will your parents loan you money, then maybe you could work it off? Even if it's only a little it will still help.

Talk to the vet. Ask if you could maybe work some weekends cleaning cages, dumping trash, washing food dishes, doing laundry or any things like that to work the fees off.

I know that if it were me, I might let a kid do that if they needed. It would show me that they are a good and caring pet owner. You might even get a discounted price. The vet can usually write off things like that as a donation.

Latest posts

Back