i need help on how to help someone.....lol!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxEstellexx

Reaction score
My friends mum died last week of cancer!:(:(:(!! i dont know what to say or whatever!! she wasnt inlast week at all and she only came back today. And for most of the dayshe was in the bathroom crying and then after school a girl who is alsoher friend said " hey, my mum is colllecting me do ya wannalift?" and just at the mention of the word mum she burst out crying!!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(!!!!!!!!

Suggestion on what to do ..............PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!

:)

Oh Estelle, I'm so sorry to hear that. I lost mymother to cancer when I was 10 yrs old, and found that most of myschoolmates avoided me because they didn't know what to say (mind you,I didn't have all that many friends anyway, being a very shy child). Iwould suggest that you approach your friend and express how sorry youare for her loss, and just ask if there is anything you can do for her.Let her know that you're there for her if ever she needs to talk -about anything - and then let her take the lead. If she needs you forcomfort and support she'll know that you will be there for her. Shemight not want to talk about it at all...we all grieve in our ownways...so just let her lead. And if she does want to talk to you aboutit, you could perhaps help her through the grieving process bysuggesting something, such as helping her to make up a memorial of somekind for her mother...like a scrapbook with certain pictures andmementos, or even planting a tree or bush in her honor. But if she letsyou know that she doesn't want to talk, then respect that...your offerto be there for her if and when she needs it will be enough.

That is something I just can't imagine having togo through that. I am guessing your friend is distraught and depressed.There is probably nothing anyone can do to make it better. But justhaving a friend by her side, will be comforting. Like BassetLuv said.Let her know you are there and willing to do whatever it takes tocomfort her. She is really going to need you.

:yeahthat

Binkies and Bassetluv both gave great advice. This is sosad:(There is really nothing you can say! Everyone grievesdifferently, but don't avoid her. This is a time when she needs supportfrom all around her. Lots of hugs and comforting words if they'reneeded. I'll say a prayer and hopefully she'll manage to get throughthis:pray:

Sometimes words aren't necessary - give her ahug and be there for her to talk to. Bassettluv had someexcellent suggestions.

Pam

Estelle - I am so sorry to hear about yourfriends mother, very sad for her, you and her family. My good friend'sbrother committed suicide 6 months ago, and although it is slightlydifferent, she has still lost a close family member. My advice is justbe there (body and mind) - don't be frightened to talk about it whenshe is ready and share thoughts and later on memories.

The worst is when other people can not acknowledge it and are toofrightened that they might cry. Your friend will cry lots and lots andthis would be no different whether you were to mention it or not. Myfriend found it sooo upsetting ifother frinds did not mentionit , she would say "I have not died, I am still here, I am still me"...etc.

Also another a really important thing is to remember it gets worseafter 3 months, although this does not always happen but often does.The initial shock passes and the reality hits home and they then reallymiss them, esp. as the one person they want to talk to is often thatperson. Make sure you stay aware that the grief does not just pass -and you regularly text her, call her, buy her books to read (not on"grief", she will want to do that if she wants) as it will keep hermind busy and help her sleep. When she feels ready to see the outsideworld, invite her to places and start to slowly introduce the thingsyou used to do together.

It sounds like you are doing a smashing job so far and you care so muchthat you are posting here which is amazing. She will sometimes need tosob, and let her. Some friends of my friend have made a distance sinceher brothers death (one even compared it to recently being dumped??:mad:). My friend is really hurt and will find it difficult toforgive these friends that avoided the issue.

Good luck - and it must be really sad for you too, as I felt with myfriend's brothers death - just be there, listen, talk -- simple advicebut my friend said she would not have got thru the last 6 monthswithout our close knit group of girlie friends to help her.

Good luck xx :clover:

Oh, Sweetie, that's so hard...

My thoughts and prayers are with you both, and her family as well.

Others have already given excellent advice, so I just want to send yousome hugs that you can transfer to your friend, if she needs/wantsthem.

:rose::pray::kiss::groupparty::hug::hug2::grouphug:group::heartbeat:

We love you here, Hun...feel free to talk if you need to! :)

Rosie*

Thats an awful thing for someone to go through.My mom passed 3 years ago from cancer as well. As everyone (somepeople...) has said, the best thing you can do for your friend is tolet her know that you're there for her. Trust me, hearing the word'mom', seeing people with their moms, or hearing about moms willprobably upset her for a little bit. the best thing you can do is besupportive. my best friends at the time told me that i should just getover it (i would not advise doing that).

basically just let her know she has a friend in you :)

oh estelle hmmm that name rings a bell..Im REALLY sry to hear about ur friend.

Bassetluv wrote:
Oh Estelle, I'm so sorry to hear that. I lost my mother tocancer when I was 10 yrs old, and found that most of my schoolmatesavoided me because they didn't know what to say (mind you, I didn'thave all that many friends anyway, being a very shy child). I wouldsuggest that you approach your friend and express how sorry you are forher loss, and just ask if there is anything you can do for her. Let herknow that you're there for her if ever she needs to talk - aboutanything - and then let her take the lead. If she needs you for comfortand support she'll know that you will be there for her. She might notwant to talk about it at all...we all grieve in our own ways...so justlet her lead. And if she does want to talk to you about it, you couldperhaps help her through the grieving process by suggesting something,such as helping her to make up a memorial of some kind for hermother...like a scrapbook with certain pictures and mementos, or evenplanting a tree or bush in her honor. But if she lets you know that shedoesn't want to talk, then respect that...your offer to be there forher if and when she needs it will be enough.

omg!! thats so sad!! sorry for ya loss!!! thanks for the advice!!!

Latest posts

Back