I Need Hay Bin Ideas..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSassy

Reaction score
I need new hay bin ideas for Roscoe and Suzi. They are major hay eaters! :)I bought a metal basket at Target for them and Roscoe sits in the basket, then pees in the hay.

I do put hay in their litter boxes but they eat so much hay, I need a bin too. I need something that they can't jump into. I tried homemade bins (cereal boxes) but they seem not big enough.

Please... I need Ideas for Homemade or Store bought Hay Bins.

Thanks Lots.....:)April

This is what I do... use NIC panels, and then hang bent ones (in a U shape) on each wall (if you will).

100_0905c.jpg

Hi!

I actually have some wire bathroom baskets from Ikea that I use as hay mangers. For my bonded pairs, I place two of them in their condos, and I absolutely love them!

Mine isn't exactly like this one, but it gives you an idea of what they look like!

Edited to add a photo!

TobysNewCageZooandAnnArbor005.jpg

Kathy

I also use a bent NIC panel that I hang above my bun's litter box. I really pack the hay in there and its usually enough to last 2-3 days

Evey- I like that ikea basket.Looks perfect for a hay rack. I might have to pick one up the next time i'm there :)

Hubby and I sell our litterboxes and hay catchers here in Ontario sometimes!
I am part of OREO so we offer them atour spring petshow!
They are a peice of cake to build though! And cheap if you have a spare NIC or two lying around!
They work great for us...we have 8 rabbits right now...makes litter cleanup a cinch!
We found that with the regular hay keepers that the bunns never seemed to get as much hay as they should...we even tried to bend NIC's like you did...and the buggers hopped inside and peed!:twitch:

After much frustration...we actually added a bar in the middleof this design to stop smaller bunnies from climbing inside! It works really well for us...we waste less litter and hay then before! Almost half of what we gave the bunns was thrown out as waste in the end! But not anymore!:D

It depends how good you are with your hands...lol...I can send you picks on how to make one of these if you like! I did it for a friend with Fuzzy Lops and she was very happy! lol :) She was brushing them constantly and they kept getting poop stuck...not to mention digging their hay all over the place...she sent me a pic but I can't find it!:blushan:

This is what it looks like...
100_1912.jpg

The poops fall through the grating...
100_1908.jpg

You lift the grate and scoop out the wet litter pellets and poops...
100_1910.jpg

Then it is all ready for bunny again! It holds loads of hay...had big holes for easier access too!
100_1913.jpg

Very simple...but effective and easy to fill and clean! There are grates you can add to the side and a bar down the center too...I should update my pics with the newer version! lol :D

-Runestonez-

Honestly...it makes my life so much easier!
We designed it and kept changing it here and there till we got it where we wanted it! With scads of bunns...it makes litter faster and easier! Which is good!

But originally we were trying to find a way to keep the bunns hay up off the dirty litter so it was clean and healthy for them....and hopefully a way to keep it all gathered in one place too! After living with hay everywhere all over the floor and carpets...couches, the rabbits...<shaking head> I just wanted it to be tidy! lol:twitch:

-Runestonez-

Runestonez, I love the raised grated floor in your litter box. That, along with something large to hold hay, would go a long way towards making my hay supply last longer. You've got me thinking about what I can put in my bun's box now.

I wanted a litter box that was big enough for both of my rabbits to use at the same time, so I ended up using a storage bin.

http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=37##

I think I have the 35 quart one. I went through like 3 different kinds of litter boxes before settling on this big (cheap) storage bin. I have to use hay as the litter or else Pancake will just dig through it and pee gets all over their behinds. I'll be visiting some hardware stores I suspect.

Wow, I LOVE those Ikea baskets! I want! But the closest Ikea to me is 5 hours away. :cry1:

Here's what I'm currently using for hay bins. I got them at Home Depot, in the cabinet organizer section. I have a dustpan that is exactly the width of the top opening, so I scoop the hay out of the hay storage with that and slide it in the racks. Ben likes his litter box in the middle of his pen, and he likes to pull hay out of the top of the rack, so it's a daily chore to sweep up the hay and put it in his litter box. (He'll eat the discarded bits when he's in the box, but not off the floor.)
Nick and Amelia like to eat out of the top of theirs.

Not the best hay racks, but I prefer using them to putting all the hay in the litter box.

moz-screenshot.jpg
th_100_2611.jpg

th_100_2612.jpg

JeffS-We have the same container for our bonded Lionheads! :D If one had to go to the litterbox the other would follow...so we had to get one that could accomodate two at once! lol

We did the same setup for their box as well...we have 9 litterbpxes all together and we made them all up the same...I like it! There are probably more ways to do them up...but this is the best one that works for us...I really like the fact that the hay is raised and stays dry...we don't even put litter pellets at the back anymore...we keep them to the front of the litterbox so they don't touch the hay at all!

The bunns seem to like it too...they hate getting their feet dirty...sorry...the girls don't like getting dirty...the boys made us crazy for a while! We had to keeptrying to out think them! They would find a way into the hay keeper and we would have to re-think the design and fix it! lol I'd say it ended in a draw...I hear them plotting at night still! LOL:biggrin2:

-Runestonez-

BethM wrote:
Wow, I LOVE those Ikea baskets! I want! But the closest Ikea to me is 5 hours away. :cry1:

Here's what I'm currently using for hay bins. I got them at Home Depot, in the cabinet organizer section. I have a dustpan that is exactly the width of the top opening, so I scoop the hay out of the hay storage with that and slide it in the racks. Ben likes his litter box in the middle of his pen, and he likes to pull hay out of the top of the rack, so it's a daily chore to sweep up the hay and put it in his litter box. (He'll eat the discarded bits when he's in the box, but not off the floor.)
Nick and Amelia like to eat out of the top of theirs.

Not the best hay racks, but I prefer using them to putting all the hay in the litter box.

moz-screenshot.jpg
th_100_2611.jpg

th_100_2612.jpg
My hay bin looks like yours but wider and they jump in them and sit, so I don't like mine. Yours is thinner, so they couldn't sit in it.

You PMed me a few days about about the Ikea baskets....did you find those didn't work for you or are you not sure about them?

Like I said...I think they work so great! There is also the little pan in the bottom them that keeps all the "dusty" hay in there.

Hi Amy.

The nearest IKEA is 1 hour away. I'm thinking now I may drive there. LOl. WithIKEA being so cheap I don't want to have it shipped to me.

It's close to the flea mkt we go to. The next time we go I'm thinking of going there(to IKEA).

SweetSassy wrote:
My hay bin looks like yours but wider and they jump in them and sit, so I don't like mine. Yours is thinner, so they couldn't sit in it.

I do like that the bunnies can't sit in it. I do wish it was taller, though, so they couldn't get to the top of it. They love pulling big bunches of hay out of the top, and don't always eat everything they pull out before getting more. Also, it only holds about one dustpan worth of hay, so I have to fill at least 3 times a day, sometimes up to 4 (for Nick and Amelia).

The Ikea baskets look much larger (at least from the photograph). Would much prefer those. But 10 hours round-trip is too far to drive for 3 hay baskets! Lol!

Bed Bath & Beyond had some tall skinny ones. I looked at them. But I thought it might be too big for my little Buns. You could try there.

I use this plastic bag holder thingie I found at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

misc018.jpg

It works really well for me, and there it is pretty big so you can fit a lot of hay in there. It has these hooks on it so it can just hang on the cage.

I use an NIC grid that I zip-tied to the main cage. I tie the bottom of it tightly to the cage, and the top of it is several inches out from the cage, so that there's space between the grid I've added and the cage. Hay goes in that space.

Back