I need advice again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PepperGrl

Reaction score
I know I keep asking for advice... but everyoneis so knowledgable and has such great ideas that I can't help it:D My girl Pepper is going through her "teenage" phase sosoon she will be ready for a spay... but until then.... the last twonights she has been almost completely kicking/scratching out thecontents of her litter box (woody pet and poo everywhere). Ihave her on a plastic floor with no bedding because she is littertrained. I clean both buns litter boxes every night so theyare nice and clean, and by morning it is everywhere. She juststarting doing this and I haven't changed anything. I know Iprobably won't be able to get her to stop, but anyone have any adviceon how to make it easier or possibly stop her. I have eventried putting plastic crochet piece over it like PetBunny does but shejust pulls it out and then dumps the litter. Any advice wouldbe great. It is such a pain to have to clean up her messeveryday (not to mention our new puppy loves to ingest the woody petand poo now all over the floor). Thanks,

Jamie

Sorry Jamie, I have the same problem!I keep getting higher & higher litter boxes...they dig harder& throw the woody pet even further!! I have malesthat do it, too!! This morning I found that Mocha had"shoveled" her litter out of her cage, onto thefloor. Her cage is almost 4 feet off the floor (top tier of a4 tier unit) and her litter & poo landed in the food bowlsbelonging to my bonded trio (Sweetheart, Ginger, andCinnabun). Needless to say, they were not happy!So, now Mocha has a higher litter box...let's see what she doestonight. In the meantime, I keep the Shop-Vac handy!

Charlotte

This may not help but I noticed Christaand Hopi started doing that. So I took it as they wanted to dig. I gavethem a cardboard box and filled it with hay and shredded paper. Theyreally dig that box to pieces. I've also noticed they dig less in theirlitter boxes.

Just a thought.

Tina

dajeti2 wrote:
This may not help but I noticed Christa and Hopistarted doing that. So I took it as they wanted to dig. I gave them acardboard box and filled it with hay and shredded paper. They reallydig that box to pieces. I've also noticed they dig less in their litterboxes.

Just a thought.

Tina
HA, Homer loves to dig and I gave him a dig box so he got 90%of the litter out of the litter box THEN went on to the other....:X

My male JUST started doing this! I gota dish-washing-pan (or basin...whatever it's called)fromTarget ($1.50) it has higher sides than even those 'hi-bac' litterboxes, and he doesn't kick all of the contents out anymore.If your buns are big enough to get into it, try it :)

I have the same situation with Abby. Ican't seem to get her to stop. I've decided I just have todeal with it. I vacuum her cage out at least 2 times a daywith the shop vac.

Jen

dajeti2 wrote:
PGG, Homer is just being a little stinker huh? What a personality.

Tina
Yes he is... :X actually he can be a real...well...Ibetter not say it here! LOL! He's by far the most difficult of my bunnybunch! I guess I'm a bit spoiled to how good Corky is aboutmost things! ;)

Well at least I feel better that this isn't onlyhappening to me :? Here's to hoping she will knock it offonce she gets spayed. My husband mentioned zip-tying theplastic crochet piece to her litter box so she can't take it off andthen dig. That will require poking holes in the litter box(not sure how to do that) but we might give it a try and see if itworks. I will let everyone know. Thanks for makingme feel not so alone!:groupparty: At least I know we are allin this together lol...

Jamie

I gave Mocha the really high dish pan for alitter box, yesterday. She succeeded to empty most of thelitter from the pan :X. Sweetheart, Ginger, andCinnabun are not happy as their food bowls are again full of litter& poop :shock:. Thank goodness for theShop-Vac! Guess I'll have to find a new place for the foodbowls. Would putting duct tape around Mocha's paws beconsidered cruelty?:ponder:

dootsmom wrote:
Would putting duct tape around Mocha's paws beconsidered cruelty?:ponder:
The visual of this just cracked me up
36_1_21.gif

Not sure if you have enuf room to consider something like this....but Iread on another rabbit forum that someone used a large plastic storagecontainer with a lid (20 gal?) for a litter box, theycut anopening in one end that was large enuf for the rabbit to jumpin. If I remember correctly, this rabbit was a digger too andit helped keep everything inside the container.

Thanks bunnee mom... I might have to trythat. Last night she didn't throw out her litter though somaybe she is getting over it... or maybe she decided to not be a littlebrat for once! Who knows... maybe I will try that duck tapeidea:cool: lol

Jamie

Pebbles use to dig her litter, whichstopped after I put in the plastic screen.The screen has to fit the box tightly orshe can pull it out. Luckily she hasn't pulled it out.

One suggestion might be is that you use a weight onthe screen? Something heavy, so Pepper wouldn't be ableto pull the screen out. How about a wire screen?

This is Pebble's cage today. I took out the carpet and put tiles in the bottom.

Rainbows! :)

I have tried to make the screen tight but it ishard because I have one of the corner litter boxes that is triangleshaped. She pulls it out every time and chews on theplastic. What kind of weights do you suggest? Wethought about that but don't know what to use that would work well.

Jamie

PepperGrl wrote:
What kind of weights do you suggest?
Try something simple first....... like a rock or a small brick in yourlitter box just to hold the screen down. Make sure shedoesn't eat the plastic. If she does you might have to try awire screen. Something I have been thinking of forPebbles is a thicker and heavierstainless metalscreen with biggerholes, so the pee can drain faster. But I haven'tfound anything yet.

Rainbows! :)

Pepper eating the plastic is what I'm worriedabout. If you find a sort of metal screen let me know....that is something I would definitely like to switch to.Thanks again.

Jamie

P.S. By the way, I PMed you in case you didn't check back tothis topic again... wasn't sure so just letting you know :)

Has anyone tried a cat litter box with the lids?I don't know if it would work but I was considering that when I got mylittle one a new litter box.

Latest posts

Back