I Might Have to Sell my Rabbits!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumLumPop

Reaction score
I'm planning to study abroad in France for my Junior year in highschool. It's a great opportunity for me. There is one problem however, my sister is also going to college so it'll be just my Dad. He can't take care of cats a dog plus two rabbits. So it pains me that the chances of me having to sell my Lewis and Clark are very high! I'll also need to find a home for my extremely skittish 7 month old kitten Tommy. My worst fear is that because of how skittish he is that Tommy will end up in a pound and be euthanized! I just don't know what to do with him and if he is put down I could never forgive myself! Lewis and ?Clark will also need to go! I'm trying to see if any of my friends would be willing to care for Clark for the time while I'm gone. I don't know what to do with poor dear sweet Lewis though!? I love my animals but I feel like this is an opportunity that I shouldn't pass up! What should I do!?!

If you can find a carer for Clark, would the same person not be able to care for Lewis, too?

If none of your friends can take them, maybe a local animal rescue has someone who fosters rabbits and would be willing to take care of them for a year. I definitely think you should go. It sounds like a great opportunity.

If you can find a carer for Clark, would the same person not be able to care for Lewis, too?

I'd like too,but none of my friends are really that rabbit savvy. Only one of them is and she has a pair of unspayed does and Lewis is an unaltered male so that itself is a problem. I'm okay giving Clark to a close friend because he's calm and likes to be held. Lewis is highstrung and my worse fear is that someone might try to pick him up and he'll buck and kick. Also he makes a lot of noise at night so that is a bit of an issue too.

maybe a local animal rescue has someone who fosters rabbits and would be willing to take care of them for a year.

Maybe,I'm just worried about the whole unneutered issue if they have other rabbits. I don't want to give them Lewis to care for,I'm sure Clark would fit in just fine. I don't want Lewis to hurt any bunny. I'll have to see if there's even any rabbit foster moms out there.

If all else fails, could Lewis and Clark live in your bedroom and your dad could provide food/water daily, and maybe you could pay a neighour a small amount to clean up their living space 2-3 times per week? This may be unreasonable, but I'm grasping at straws - it must be awful to feel like you have to give up your buns, and it sounds like ideally it'd be nice if they could be kept together.

If all else fails, could Lewis and Clark live in your bedroom and your dad could provide food/water daily, and maybe you could pay a neighour a small amount to clean up their living space 2-3 times per week? This may be unreasonable, but I'm grasping at straws - it must be awful to feel like you have to give up your buns, and it sounds like ideally it'd be nice if they could be kept together.

I wish I could! They hate each other with a passion but they don't mind being in separate cages. However,my neighbors are on one side an elderly couple and the other are often away hunting or working on their farm so they're not home enough to weekly clean out their pens. Plus I don't expect my Dad to take them out and exercise them so I don't want to do something that'd make them overall unhappy then they would with someone would could give them proper attention if I'm making sense. The only other neighbors I know of have small kids who I feel REAL uncomfortable around my two American Explorers.

Oh! My bad, I thought they were bonded.

I think boarding sounds like the best option, if you have that service available to you. You know they'll be in experienced hands, and you'll have them back in your care when you return.

My rabbits can stay!!

Rotary is closed so I can't go my junior year and it's impossible for me to go my senior year so that means my two little explorers are staying!

I missed this thread before... was getting ready to mention that if you weren't going until next fall that I *might* be able to foster if a railroad could be arranged, but I see you'll be able to keep them after all! I'm sorry you're going to miss out on spending a year abroad... perhaps it was just meant to work out this way, though. You'll get to keep all your pets and there's always still the possibility of spending a year in France during college :).

I can't say I mind not having to find enough room in the house to make an enclosure for another rabbit, lol - three bunns is plenty and having two separate rabbit enclosures is a good bit more work than having them all in one place (I'm having to keep Normie separate until his hormones are totally gone and I can bond them into a trio). I was willing to offer if it was the only way to make sure he didn't end up at a shelter, though! I hate to see someone have to give up a beloved pet when the reason they can't keep it is only going to be temporary.

Thank-you that is so kind of you! Yes,I do plan to travel abroad in college(plus I'd get college credits if I go then) Rotary has simply already chosen all their applicants so there wasn't much of a choice. I do plan to try and visit France next year though! Now I'll have a few extra years to practice my French too! Thank you so much for the offer though,you would have loved Lewis. He's this troublemaker but his face constantly has the "It wasn't me I swear" look to it! XD

Oh, man... I'm SO familiar with that face! The other one I see a LOT of (especially with Lemmy, one of my sugar gliders, who is a charming b*stard in more ways than one) is "Yeah... but yeah." (as in yeah, I know I'm not supposed to be doing what I'm doing... but yeah, I'm doing it anyway and I plan to continue).

I'm sorry your France plans fell through, but I'm very glad to hear that Lewis and Clark will get to stay with you. :)

Oh, man... I'm SO familiar with that face! The other one I see a LOT of (especially with Lemmy, one of my sugar gliders, who is a charming b*stard in more ways than one) is "Yeah... but yeah." (as in yeah, I know I'm not supposed to be doing what I'm doing... but yeah, I'm doing it anyway and I plan to continue).

Clark pretty much has one face and one face only...and then there's Lewis...

His facial expressions can go to "It wasn't me I swear" to "I'm grumpy and I'm going to throw a tempter tantrum!"

The other day I heard a crash from my room and I ran inside and Lewis was waiting in front of my door and his face kinda said "Before you see what I did...I really love you." (turns out he knocked down a plate and a nail polish bottle now I have a sparkly blue stain on my carpet)

Mine prefer the excuse, "If I wasn't supposed to eat them, then why did they taste so good??"

Latest posts

Back