I may be mommy to a Flemish soon

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babbs

Reaction score
YAY! I have found a breeder in GA that will havesome babies ready the 16th of this month. To top it off the householdsays go for it!

I have wanted a Flemish for the longest time and reading all the lovelystories about the Flemmies here has really made me want one bad!Fingers crossed all goes well and we get to travel to GA and bring homea new baby! :D

So tell me Flemmie mommies and daddies, what supplies do I need for aFlemish that is different from a smaller breed? Besides the big dogcrate for the cage.

babbs wrote:
Sotell me Flemmie mommies and daddies, what supplies do I need for aFlemish that is different from a smaller breed? Besides the big dogcrate for the cage.
Well, start saving your empty toilet paper rolls now as they make great toys. Of course, almost all bunnies love them.

I'd make sure to get some supplement (calf mana I think itscalled). Because flemish grow so big, they need it.

Get some vanilla for the water - because Flemmies drink so much....you'll want a BIG bottle of vanilla - artifical will do.

I put Tiny's food in a pyrex casserole bowl - that way he can't flingit around. It's pretty cool because when he sees me grab hisbowl close to bedtime - he gets all excited and practically sits in mylap while I mix up his food. I've started not giving treatsduring the day....and then adding them at the bottom of his bowl atsupper....and he LOVES it. He tries to knock me over to getto his food...he gets a couple of craisins and a yogurt drop or two anda bit of oatmeal with hisfood and calf mana....and a coupleof small banana slices or an apple slice. Then again, Iprobably feed my buns more than some people because they're out andactive most of the day (ok...so Tiny does sleep a lot - but he doesplay a lot too).

Peg

Thanks for the tips, Peg.

I have a bunch of toiletpaper and papertowel rolls saved already for the other buns.

I know I have seen the reason for vanilla in water here somewhere. Iwill have to find the thread and re read it. My daughtersbunny, Rose, drinks alot of water! She is a small bunny too. I swear Ifill hers the most.

I loved reading your thread about your furries' learning thebedtime routine. Bedtime must be so much fun to see how smart theyreally are!

babbs wrote:
I loved reading your thread about your furries'learning the bedtime routine. Bedtime must be so much fun to see howsmart they really are!
Bedtime was crazy tonight - they wanted to go to bed at 8 pm (insteadof their normal 9:30 - 10 pm bedtime). Or at least Tinywanted to go to bed that early.

So....I got his food bowl (it's acasserole dish) and startedputting his food in there. I got the pellets and calf manain...and he's just munching on the "all bunny salad" on thefloor. I open the craisins bag and he tries to get in mylap. I put inhis craisins and stir them into thefood...then I grab the yogurt chips bag and he tries to SIT in his bowl(which I'm trying to lift and hold up where he can't get intoit). Finally, I put his bowl on TOP of Tio's cage and startto cut up the banana......and he's trying to sit in my lap and stand upon his hind legs and EAT the whole stupid banana while I'm trying tocut four tiny slices for his bowl.

I told him he wasn't getting any cheerios added because I just couldn't fight him anymore.

I know...that's a lot of treats - but he's out about 12 hours per dayand today he actually ran and jumped and played and was awake for wellover 2 hours....chasing the cat for a bit, etc. I'm not surewhat got into him today....he followed me around the house like a puppytoo.

So, since he's still a baby...I don't mind giving him his treats this way.

But it's so funny because he loves craisins and yogurt drops and nowwhen he sees the bag - he comes running towards me. He's eventried to open the bags himself and once he was trying to open it whenhe was almost bringing it to me (I was fairly close and he was tryingto nudge it to open it).

My furries are all hoots....unfortunately, today Puck also ate the top1/3 of one of the buttons on the cable remote. He definitelydeserves his name!

Peg

Babbs,, How totally awesome. I am so excited for you. Flemish Babies are adorable.

I have found wwith Apollo and reading alot isFlemmies are notorious drinkers. Apollo has a 32 oz. water bottle andhe goes through that in a days time.

If you use a hopper style feeder try and get the one for largebreeds. Apollo has the standard and has trouble sometimes getting hisface in it. I myself am having to up grade to the larger type.

Vanilla in the water is used to prevent Flystrike which isdeadly to bunns. Usually a tablespoon to a gallon of water is enough.Apollo really likes it so I add more.

If you plan to bring the little one outside a harness, usually a cat or dog harness is a must.

If at all possible try and get alfalfa hay and pellets for thefirst year and a half. Flemmies grow until steady until they are 18months but continue to slowly grow until age 3-4 years. Apollo is stillgrowing lol.

Grass mats for the bottom of the cage are also a great idea.Because of their weight they are prone to sore hocks so that'ssomething to consider.

I have found that nail clippers for dogs work best. The smaller ones just aren't up to the job.

I think the best thing I can say is to keep in mind thatFlemmies do get big, so anything you get needs to be bigger too.

Any idea if you are going to get a boy or girl?

I'm so excited for you. If I think of anything else I'll add itin this thread ok? That way all your information is in one place.

Tina

I hope, I hope, I hope your wish comes true, babbs!

When will you know for sure if you'll get one.

-Carolyn

Peg,

That is too cute of a story! I can just picture Tiny telling moma sheis taking too long! And Puck was just trying to tell you he doesn'twant you changing the channel on him anymore. =)

Tina,

Thanks for your help. I have really enjoyed folowing your stories ofApollo, Jer and the chickens. Your house must be soo much fun! Should Ibe using the Vanilla in all my babies water bottles? I thought sincethey don't go outside it wasn't needed? I will be getting a buck and amsending out the deposit today! We take our road trip the 22nd. It willbe a 7 and a half hour drive one way so any help to make the tripbetter for the little giant would be great! =)

SamandShawn, thanks for the website. I was so jealous of the otherFlemmie owners for a very long time. Your day will come too. Flemishwill take over bunnyland! =)

Carolyn,

Thanks so much for all the hopes! They worked! I am getting a fawnbuck! He will be 8 weeks on the 16th and we pick him up early on the22nd! Man, this time is going to go by so slowly. Oh the agony! Do yahappean to have a time fast forward machine? :p

Congratulations on being a Flemmiemom! The time will just fly by for you I hope.Until the 22nd, you can get everything for your baby - thelarge cage, feeders, toys, and water bottle -set up and inplace.This will keep you busy untilthenand you won't have to worry aboutgettingeverything set up after you return home fromgetting him - you both will probably want to rest.

:D:D:DHTH

Jenniblu, thanks! I am sure the time will flyby, but boy am I anxious to see my "little" giant! I am sure when I getreally anxious I can cuddle one of my other furry hoppers! =) For somereason I am just so overcome and worried about not having everythingready for the little guy that I am also sure I will be pretty busystressing over getting ready. LOL!

Alright Flemie mommies, traveling home, suggestions? It will be aboutan 8 hour ride home. I know I will need some hay and water for him. Weare traveling in a Scion and it will be me, hubby and my 1 1/2 yr old.They are not too much bigger than normal small/ to midsized bunnies at8 weeks, right? I am wondering if the cage we bought from the Petstorefor my other bunnies when we first got them will be big enough fortravel?

Tiny was 12 weeks old when we got him - around 6pounds - and we brought him home in a cat carrier. I hopethat helps since I don't know what size cage you had for your smallerbunnies.

Peg

This isthe cage we have. I think itshould be plenty if you were able to bring Tiny home in a cat carrier.I could use the carrier also but don't know how I would be able to setup the water and food for him without a huge mess.
It is 30"L and 18"W
60227.jpg

Apollo lives indoors andplaysoutdoors and I still give him Vanilla water. It seemslike we always get a couple flies in the house once the weather warmsup. I use it as a preventative. I would go ahead and give it to allyour babies. I buy the cheap extract lol and Apollo won't drink plainwater anymore.

I would bring along a heavy crock and use that for pellets anda water bottleon the trip home. Believe it or not Apollospent the 5 hour trip home sprawled out one the front seat of the airenjoying the A/C. I think he will be fine on the trip home.

Another idea is to ask the breeder for a handful of hay to putin his cage and try and fill his water bottle with water from thebreeder. Smells of home may reassure him on the long trip.

I talked to Apollo all the way home. It seemed like my constant chatter soothed him. You can try it.

I know you probably know this but try and get a month's supplyof the pellets he's eating now from the breeder if you plan to switchto a different brand when he's home.

I am so excited for you. I just know you are going to bethrilled with him. They are like no other bunny lol. I am just bouncingaround in my seat dancing I'm so happy and excited.

I can't wait to see pics of this handsome baby. What color areyou getting or do you not know yet? Just curious lol.

Tina

Latest posts

Back