I lost my first cord today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylove817

Reaction score
After owning rabbits for two years I finally lost my first cord. I let Sasha out to run around for awhile and she managed to get back behind my end table (which I thought was "blocked") and in 5 secs nipped through my power cord to me modem. An hour later and 40$ poorer, I have access to the computer.

So here is my question. What can I do to keep them away from my cords? I know there are cord wraps, but its unrealistic here (David is a gamer and has about 100 cords laying everywhere...I try setting them up off of the ground or behind furniture but its not working anymore because Sasha is a lot smaller than Midas and can get under EVERYTHING!)

I know they sell bitter apple for dogs and cats, but is there a similar product for rabbits? That I can spray onto a cord to make it taste gross? Someone suggested jalapeño peppers, but I wasnt sure if that was safe or not.

Thanks in advance!!

I try, but its so hard. We have cords everywhere! I might have to "ban" Sasha from the living room (our bedroom/closet area has almost no cords). But I would prefer that as a last resort. What about the jalapeno? is that safe for rabbits if they just get a small taste of it?

Ikea sells cord covers for cheap. Realistically if you want your cord to not be chewed your either going to have to cover them or block them off, all of them.

My gimpy LOVES to chew cords and I keep him in my bedroom where I have my computer, my gaming systems, and 6 aquariums(with 4 cords each). So after trying the bitter sprays(even the super strength one from the vet), soap, and a variety of other methods I eventually broken down and bought cord covers for all the cords and I use NIC panels to block off under my computer desk, behind the tv and fish tanks. It was definitely worth it, even if it was a hassle to have to cover all the cords at the start.

Even though Lily is confined to her NIC cage and an attached 11 panel play pen I protected the cords with plastic wire wrap just in case something happens and she gets out. Since her cage is in the living room the first place she'd probably go is behind the entertainment center. It took about 2 hours to wrap and tape every cord (you can usually bundle small ones together) but it's worth it. IMO I'd rather take a few hours to wrap everything one time than have to spray or rub soap on it once a month for years.

If you go to a home supply store you can buy cord protectors. I prefer the spiral kind because they are easier to take on and off. But the split kind also work well. As a cheaper alternative you can also buy clear plastic tubing and use a pair of scissors to split it down the middle.

I boxed all the cords in and closed off the desk at both the bottom and sides. Nancy forgot to tuck the chair in and Coal got up on the desk--so I had to get a whole new sound system and was able to patch the printer cord.

NIC panels! Its the only thing I've found that can keep the "Verminator" from destroying cords (aka: Baxter!).. have tried the "cord keepers" aka the thick plastic gizmos you bundle your cords into - he just throws back his head and laughs - while chewing threw them (takes longer, but if he's quiet he can get it done in an afternoon)..

Have lost $100's of dollars to his cagey ability to get at the smallest of cords (and he likes the little ones - along with lamp and vacuum cleaner cords seem to be a favorite)..

Hate when he gets to my cell phone cords, as those I can't fix and just have to replace. Bunny proofing is much harder to me than toddler proofing..

Nic panels at least now he knows he cannot chew threw and if he realizes he can't move them - he looses interest and moves on..

Best of luck and please post back if you find another option (Verminator is always growing and becoming more knowledable - lol)..

NorthernAutumn wrote:
Come on over! We've got a thread going about this in the Cage Section too!

Yes ~Kirbyultra's got a great idea of sectioning it off with boards. Thinking to redo the house when I go home later.

Unfortunately the cord protector and metal tape does not work for my Sebastian. He'll still chew thru both layers as we learned the other night.

Back