I know the mods will move this...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoinBackToCali

Reaction score
I guess I am just looking for validation... of something that is eating at me so bad.

I cross posted this from The Infirmary, about my sick bunny #2...

Here goes..

This whole thing has been eating at me....

Seriously.....

Rico was a very sweet bunny....

I went and saw the Golden Compass tonight, and a couple of the Daemons were rabbits, which made the whole thing worse.

I don't know why this is affecting me so much.

But I came to a conclusion...

In the last 5 years I have had over 90 bunnies pass through my barn on the way to new homes. I still have 34.. in addition to my show stock. Some of the 34 I still have are old.. elderly by rabbits standards. They have been through 2 hurricanes, one major one (Rita) and one minor one (Humberto). They have been stressed, ear mite ridden, mangy, beaten and starved (before I got them...dang people) been exposed to over 100 degree weather, and freezing temps. One of my oldest rabbits is so nappy, and ugly, and it doesnt matter how many times we clean him, he likes reveling in his own filth...My point is...I think I know a few things about bunnies. In all that time, none have died, or even been remotely sick other than when they intially came in, meaning none got ill after the fact. NONE!!! So, the only ones I have had die or be sick, have been full sisters of the legendary JH253, who were also impregnated by him. Or actually be a MALE child of his. The females are golden... not a problem with any of em. All of my other show stock is good... typical neurotic females.

I think.. I can beat myself up about this, but I think the bottomline is, it's not a sanitary issue, it's not a herd issue... it's a genetic issue.

Still doesnt make it any better... and now im all teary eyed again....

Thanks for lettin me be an emotional nutjob ya'll.

Zin
spacer.gif

I'm sorry for your loss.

With having that many rabbits pass through your life it's really remarkable that so few have lost their lives. Losing buns is an unfortunate part of owning them, and whatever the reason they die, be it genetic, illness, unknown, or anyway, it is hard when we love them.

You are allowed to grieve, to miss Rico Suave, that's ok.It doesn't make you an emotional nut job, it makes you human.

Maybe it is a genetic issue (we accidently bred a line that all died by the age of two, but we didn't realise until the a doe of the second generation died at the same age asher mum), but maybe it is a totally unfortunate co-incidence, whatever the reason is, the important part is that you have lost a bun, and you are allowed to grieve.

Hang in there and look after yourself.

If you ever need a chat my PM box is open.

Latest posts

Back