I just have to brag about my BIG baby

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just out of curiosity - are you free feeding him? What is the protein % of your pellets?

Mine are getting the same rabbit food as the others - but I add a bit of calf mana on top of their food so they're getting the supplement since they need it at this age.

I can't believe how much a growing flemish can eat....I should have remembered from Tiny...but that was 4 years ago...

He eats MannaPro, is free fed, and I don't have the bag as I keep his feed in a storage container. I think it was 16%. I'm thinking that's right. He hasn't had any calf manna. Should I be giving him something else besides the timothy hay, the pellets? He gets greens such as parsley and kale because he was already used to that which was nice.

April, He has gotten huge! Lol. His back feet are massive! He is getting so heavy that he is getting harder and harder to lift which is good because he doesn't really like it anyway. His eyes are actually brown but always come out red in my pics. Lol.

Ditto on the feed Peg. He eats like a horse! He always seems to be starved when I refill his bowl which is becoming often.
I have 2 water bottles (big ones) and have to fill those 2 times everyday. He drinks it all again at night and they are almost nearly empty by morning and I refill them before I go to bed. Lol.
He has feed at all times unless I miss seeing an empty bowl for a short period which doesn't happen often as he literally throws his bowls if they are empty and makes alot of noise.

Ask....and ye just might actually receive....on a good day...

I googled Calf Manna for pictures and came up with these...my brand is a bit more red in color..

072142131522_std.jpg

Y_Calf_Manna.gif

cmanna.jpg

My personal opinion (and Blue Giants would be a better one to ask) is that if he's already this huge - he is going to be a large rabbit and I would be giving him calf manna to up his protein and calcium intake for a few months while he's still growing his bones, etc. I would imagine that one bag would be enough to do you for what he'll need the next year or so...you could put some of it in bags and freeze it if you wanted to do so.

Mine are getting approx. 1 cup of food in the morning - 1 cup of food at night (each time with calf manna on top) - and a LOT of hay. If walk by and see their food bowl is empty...I will add a bit of food to it.

My food is a mixture of four brands (just call me paranoid about a brand having problems..)...plus oats and barley (or wheat) and I add sunflower seeds sometimes too - but not a lot of them.

One of my rabbits (I forget which one) - had a barley or wheat seed fall out into their litter pan...under the water bottle. We went out one morning to find it had sprouted a tiny plant...it was so cute...

Do you think they would carry it at a Tractor Supply store? That is where I get his feed and litter. With the oats do you mix them like you would for us or just add it to his pellets like it is? Probably a stupid question but I have no idea. Lol.

Also he eats parsley everyday and mixed greens every other day. I hope this isn't going to hurt him...
You know I should have thought about his bones and all being that I know large breed dogs need extra protein and calcium for growing bones. I hadn't honestly thought about it though.

You can get calf manna at tractor supply - just look for the picture of the bag up above. Its probably 25 pounds or 50 pounds...something like that. But it will do you as you'll only be putting a bit on top of his food - I put about a teaspoonful but I may up that a bit. As I said - I consider Blue Giants to be the expert as she breeds them and has for years and years (and they've been winning at the shows too).

I have been using crimped oats from the feed store - but I think I'm going to go back to the kind I can get from Walmart in the cereal section. The rabbits like those better - I get the generic brand of long-cooking oatmeal.

I just like the oats because it often brings them to the food bowl if they're not feeling the best or grumpy - I know that sounds crazy - but they do love the oats. I'll have to think about how much I add for proportion..I want to say I use about 1/2 of the large container for approximately 25 pounds of food - but I could be wrong. Robin does my food mixing...I'll talk to her about it.

Thanks so very much Peg. I worry that something will happen to Tony, especially now that I am so attached to this big guy and I definelty don't want it to be my lack of knowledge on what he should be fed. I would feel horrible.

If he wasn't a flemmie or large breed like that - I wouldn't worry about the calf manna at all - and it seems like he's growing just fine.

Its just I know that they need that extra protein and calcium in the first year or so....

Be warned...calf manna = "stinky poos" - probably because of the amount of protein in it. May also cause excess cecals at first and change the poo color.

Oh well - more of a reason to change the litter box every day...

Yep and with his big poopsies already.... Whew- I already scoop it once a day and change it every 2 days. Lol My big man is a STINKY Pony.

Latest posts

Back