I Hurt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seniorcats

Reaction score
I am in a world of hurt. My pain tolerance is dangerously high (so says my doc) but this is getting me down. Some years ago, during an animal rescue, my sciatic nerve was damaged. I was attacked and bitten on the thigh by an enraged animal while getting another in a carrier. It was one nightmare scene. It took 2 months to heal.

Every couple of years I get sciatica. This time it's really bad and in addition to the hip to foot pain, my foot falls asleep and there is fluid collecting behind my knee. It hurts to sit any where any how.The pain wakes me up at night if I move while sleeping. Doc gave me a cart load of cortisone, anti-inflamatories and Flexeril. He says I may have damage to a disc in by back that is causing the nerve pain.He's ordered xrays and an MRI. I wish I had a couple of Percodan and a pina colada... That worked real well when I had cancer surgery.

Has anyone dealt with disc damage and what did you do?

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry...that sounds like an incredible amount of pain to be in. I'm afraid I don't have experience there (the only really bad pain I've gone through was after radiation treatment to my mouth/throat...liquid morphine didn't even put a dent in it).

I'm wondering though, would something like acupuncture help, do you think? I know it's used in several areas and many people have claimed it has given them relief where regular drugs failed.

I'm just so sorry you are going through this....and the percodan/pina colada cocktail sounds interesting...

:hug1

Oh no... so sorry SC. :(

If you're a group kinda gal, you may want to sign up here:

http://www.yahoogroups.com/subscribe.cgi/chronic_pain

Awful lot of sciatica and back issues posts.

Really hope you're feeling better soon. :hug1

(And I have to ask... what was the animal?)

sas
getwellsoonsc.gif

My partner Mathew has sciatica, worst pain of his life he said :(. He has a collapsed/prolapsed disc in his spine.

The night when he first got the sciatica, was hell, the both of us stayed up all night and poor Mat was crying his heart out with the pain. Ended up getting him to the hospital eventually where he was given a shot of morphine and some muscle relaxants.

For about 8 weeks after that he was off work, couldn't sleep most of the time. He was taking a bunch of different pills, tramadol for the pain, an anti-inflam and a muscle relaxant.

Of all the things he says the tramadol really helped, and the muscle relaxant. I've taken a couple of the tramadol before for severe headache, and woah, are they great at knocking out pain, I know it's a bad idea to take someone elses meds but I was desperate. However they can make you feel slightly high, or drunk, if you have too many at once, and perhaps they might affect your work life if you work.

It's been months now and he still has some pain and his foot is numb all down the outside, sorry if I'm not much help, but he sends you his sympathies.

Pipp wrote:
(And I have to ask... what was the animal?)

sas
getwellsoonsc.gif

I would like to say it was an enormous, giganticdog.... but no, it was a 19 pound cat who was being protective of his kitty friend. I did a lot of twisting and turning and bending while he was hanging on my thigh by his teeth. Turns out he was a 4 paw declaw and became a biter as a result. He was also taken in the rescue.

The Humane Society deemed them unadoptable due to their personalities and health issues andplaced them ondeath row. HS allowed me to take them home after much negotiation with theBoard of Directors. They made me sign a crazy waiver that I would not sue the HSif Siegfried ever ripped out my jugular - well, close enough. Coby became my DH's cat and Siegfried, my attacker, became my best kitty friend.

Thanks for the well wishes. I think I will look into acupuncture. I used this years ago but my doc retired and movedback to the Phillipines.

The Anti-inflammatory is Mobic (Meloxicam). Since my last surgery, I can no longer take synthetic pain killers. Vicoden, Percodan, etc now give me migraines. I wish they didn't because I still have some pillsleft over.

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through all that. Sciatica is just plain evil. Definitely try acupuncture, though. I can't tell you how much it's helped my back and other problems. :hug1

I hope you get to feeling better soon Ann. My mom has that and her doctor prescribed some stretching exercises, which help tremendously. Perhaps your doctor could refer you to a physical therapist. If it's by doctor referral, then insurance covers it.

I know this will sound crazy to somebut.......

Have you thought of doing acupuncture?

We have a friend that was injured badly in a wreck and he swears by it. His wife is a doctor and he's not someone you would look at and think "yeah, he likes alternate forms of medicine!" LOL!

He said he was in major pain and the first session did hurt for a few minutes but then it was like ..... GONE. He went back for the sessions they recommended and he never had the pain again. HIs was a crushed nerve.

It's just something that sounds like you could benefit from.

:hug: I hope you feel better soon

Hi seniorcats!

My dad has chronic muscular pain. He uses a homeultrasound therapy system, and swears by it. My Dad hasn't tried acupuncture because he is a wuss ;), but the chiropracter is coaxing him into it.

I used acupuncture to alleviate kidney issues and uterine pain. Sounds weird, but it worked beautifully. Maybe it would work for your (completely unrelated to my kidneys:biggrin2:) situation? Can't hurt anymore than what you're (ouch) going through!

Yikes that sucks. I bet you are hurting horribly. How does the medicine work for you? Good, bad, strong, weak?

Hope you feel better quickly!

Back