I have questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~BunBuns~

Reaction score
QUESTION #1

Bun Buns is 13 weeks old (3 months old) everytime she hops up on me, her nails
pinch me. ( through jeans) Her nails are about this long /--/ includingthe pink part.. i think its called the quick. The store we got her fromsaid they trim nails. ( Ferrets, guinea(sp?) pigs, rabbits etc...) for$5. Should i take her? Next time i go to the mall?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question #2

I want to start training Bun Buns to come when i call, use the litterbox etc..I tried carrots, but if you've seen my other threads thecarrots upset her tummy. When is the best age to train her? and whatshould i use?

Her Current Diet

Water (unlimited)
Timothy Hay (unlimited)
Pellets (unlimited)

What i tired
Sunday- carrots
monday-carrots
wednesday-carrots
thusday- Now - Tummy upset and mucous in the poo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question #3

Bun Buns currently eats Timothy hay.
I was wondering when i should switch her over to alfalfa hay or should i?
If anyone says yes please tell me why and how i should do it and when.
Question #4

What kind of veggies can she have? like lettuce (example) or something.
If theres a list please tell me. Or post it.

question 1:

i would just try to do it myself. as a young rabbit, you only need totake off that very tip of her nails to remove the poking. it helps outalot. when i cut winnie and herman's nails i just sit them in my lap,and grab a paw. i don't flip them or anything and they really don't getto stressed out about it (and if they do, then i give them a handfullof greens to munch on while cutting their nails, they don't even payattention to me)

question 2:

no carrots. my rabbits don't even know what a carrot looks like!personally for litter training, i don't see the point of giving areward, she should be able to get this on her own. but for otherthings. . . a craisin is a great treat (remember only 1 a day though).i know people the give their rabbits single pieces of oatmeal as atreat. heck, my rabbits would think their pellets are treats if isimply hand feed it to them.

question 3:

don't bother switching her over. alfalfa is normally used for youngrabbits and senior rabbits. timothy is fine. i give my rabbits a smallhandfull of alfalfa hay daily as a treat, they like alfalfa better thentimothy

question 4:

at 3 months you can slowly start to give her veggies, i personallywouldn't make it a daily habit until she is about 6 months old. somecommon first veggies (and ones that i highly recommend) are: dandeliongreens, parsley, dill, and cilantro. canned pumpkin is a good starterveggie, and rabbits seem to go crazy for it.

check out the bunny 101 section of the forum for more feeding topics, they go into detail with links and all about veggies.

#1 if they do many animals then yeah go ahead but it should really be done by you or the vet using a baby nail clipper

#2 this is the perfect age to train her. for a reward maybe a small treat like cheerios

#3 dont switch to alfalfa because it is fattening and is too rich and may give bunny diarrhea. stay with timothy

#4 here is my list: found most on all different websites. hope it helps. give in small quantities though ok.:)

bunny safe fruits and vegetables and herbs

alfalfasprouts
apple (remove seeds)
arugula
asparagus
artichoke(jers)
banana
basil
beet tops
blackberry (leaves,sprouts,stems)
blueberry
bok choy
broccoli
brussels sprouts
cantaloupe
caraway
cabbage
carrots
cauliflower
celery
chamomile
chard
chives
cilantro
clover
collard greens
cucumber
dandelion (flower,stem,leaves)
dill
endive
escarole
fennel
Grapes
green pepper
honeydew melon
Kale
Lemon balm
lilac
marigold
marjoram
mint
mustard greens
nasturtium
orange(remove peel)
papaya(remove seeds)
parsley
peach
pea pods (flat kind)
pear
pineapple
plantain
plum
raddicho
radish sprouts
raspberry(leaves,stems,fruits)
red leaf lettuce
romaine lettuce
roses
rosemary
sage
savory
snow peas
spinach
strawberry
tomato (fruit)
thyme
violets
watercress
watermelon
wheat grass
yarrow
zucchini

She probably doesn't need her nails trimmed justyet. If you were to trim them, I would be worried about cutting thequick since they are so short. Is the quick almost as long as the nailitself? If it is, I would just leave it for now. Maybe see if they'llshow you the first time and then after see if you might be able to doit yourself.

Since she needs to go to a vet anyway, you can have the vet or a vet tech show you how to clip her nails.

I wouldn't even think about adding veggies right now, since she stillhas mucous in her poop. When she's been healthy for a while,you can start again but start with a leafy green such as romaine,parsley, or kale. And be very careful, since she's had a badreaction already.

I agree with Spring, take her there or the vetto see if they can show you how to do it before you try to on your own.That is what i'm doing for Lulu when I take her to her first vetsappointment!

I would get the vet to show you how to do thenail trimming. The pet stores are not really any moreexperienced than you doing it yourself depending on who is cuttingtheir nails - I have had a really bad experience getting nails clippedat a petstore.

________
Nadia

Latest posts

Back