I have decided to start bonding Cuddles and Lambsie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolpigs

Reaction score
Ok *deep breath* I'm going to have their first session tonight.

I still have not decided, do you think a smallish bathtub, or an outdoor run would be better to start the dates? they should be well aware andused to each other now as they have been living side by side since I got Lambsie, and I've been swapping cages etc, blankies and toys etc.

They also both get run time in the house in the same places independantly of each other and the poop war and chinning has subsided. Lambsie is mostly the culprit of that anyway. Cuddles is no where near as dominant as Lambsie.

Why have I suddenly thought now was a good time to start? Well the last couple of mornings I have noticed them occasionally sitting together on their second levels. A break through maybe? It is only something small but it is the first time I've noticed it happening. I think maybe a tolerance is building and I thought now might be the time.

Is there anything I shoudl have with me or advise from people who have done this for the first date.

I'm really nervous! Lambsie can be on the emo side and I dont want anyone to get hurt.

Thanks guys :)

L

sounds like cuddles and lambsie have made a very good start! time for you to take that deep breath and go for it if you are happy with progress so far:) would definitely pick neutral territory which you can supervise - i.e be ready to intervene if it all goes pear shaped:rollseyes personally i wouldnt leave them alone - just in case!

go for it - you have done well so far:biggrin2:

I haven't had experience in bonding just yet but I have read a few things about it...

over and over I have seen a few main pieces of advice
- have a water spray bottle on hand to use if there is any violence
- wear gloves or something to protect your hands if you need to break up a fight
(they are for worst case scenario I guess)
and introduce them on neutral territory, as someone else has said above.
I would also have someone else with you, because at least they might make you feel a bit more confident.

there are heaps of things around that you can read about bonding too, on this forum and in other places. try google if you want, although you may have already read heaps, I dont know.

you can tell me what works for you, because I will be in your position in a week or two :)

Thanks for the replies guys :) I appreciate the support!

Well we did a 20min session tonight in the bathtub, and I prepared for the worst it was actually really good I was so shocked! :D

We had the usual humping, but Cuddles was the one doing it, I was really suprised Lamsbie was totally cool with it, Cuddles groomed Lambsie's face and snuggled him and layed down with him in the tub.

When I went to pat Lambsie he hugged against Cuddles, it was so adorable and no fighting at all apart from one tiny nip because Lambsie started eating Cuddles apple ROFL :D (Cuddles is an Apple addict, and Lambsie is a Carrot addict)

Here are some pics. Let me know what you think I'm hoping to do a session every day for 7 days to see how they fair, I'm so glad I waiting until Lambsie bun settled down they really did look happier together hooray!

dscn0131p.jpg

dscn0133w.jpg

dscn0134r.jpg

dscn0135u.jpg

dscn0136bpb.jpg

dscn0137x.jpg

:highfive:what a great start! if they get bored with the bath you could try an outdoor run. i know from this forum that im not the only one, but mine have their own bowls and drinking bottles - even tho' they share the bunnery (own shed). they do share the hay manger but roxy pulls pieces out and puts them on the floor of her hutch.

mine are carrot addicts also - wont touch an apple:rollseyes-

my memory is a bit addled - blame the buns - i know ive read about your bunnies before and cant remember if they are neutered/spayed? would recommend this for their health to prevent the hop of tiny paws:D ignore this if they are:p!!

Oh yes both desexed, and both boys would you believe. I was so nervous about putting them together after all I had read about same sex pairs being more difficult.

Funny bunners

Great start on the bonding.

Your babies are so cute. I wish you lived closer I'd ask you to help me bond some of mine. lol

Look forward to more pictures.

Susan :)

Ok did a 20min session again tonight in the Tub.

We had a few rumbles tonight, but nothing severe. I think they both dislike the tub so I might try a another room. Cuddles is still mounting Lambsie alot and I believe some of the fighting started as a result of him getting annoyed at that. To be honest I would too LOL

We still had some grooming and flopping down next to each other, but we had about 3 circling fights break out tonight. They remind me of brothers wanting the other to stop first, and it just escalates. They respond to my voice and towel well so I didn't need to spray them. Cheek rubs calmed everyone down (they are such sooks)

Any suggestions at all guys, or should I just keep on keeping on?

At what point do I brave the lounge room where there cages are, when the humping and biting stops?

Thanks again :)

Simone

LOL silly bunners, I came out this morning and Cuddles had some how leapt into Lambsie's cage.

So they like each other, except after about 10mins they started their circling biting fight sigh

Boys, Perhaps its a Love hate thing? ;P

men:rollseyes if it was me i would keep going, tho i would be mindful of the fights. the last thing you want is a couple of injured buns.

Thanks for the advise hartleybun I'll let you know how I got tonight :)

LOL silly bunners!

After all the emo fights this is what I keep seeing every now and then tonight. I think Cuddles just loves Lambsie but Lambsie is a little overwhelmed and will need time to adjust.

Still cute to see Cuddles grooming him through the bars :biggrin2: I will pop them in the bathtub again tonight and see how we go but I thought you would like the pics

dscn0140r.jpg

dscn0139t.jpg

Lolpigs wrote:
LOL silly bunners!

After all the emo fights this is what I keep seeing every now and then tonight. I think Cuddles just loves Lambsie but Lambsie is a little overwhelmed and will need time to adjust.

Still cute to see Cuddles grooming him through the bars :biggrin2: I will pop them in the bathtub again tonight and see how we go but I thought you would like the pics

dscn0140r.jpg

dscn0139t.jpg
Keeps getting cuter.

We had a bad bonding session tonight, no humping which was a plus but Lambsie must have been in a bad mood becuase he just was lunging at Cuddles.

I think I'll need to try a new area tomorrow to see if that makes him happier. I think he has bad memories of the bathtub now.

They are super cute tho :)

this is toooo cute! could be that the bath isnt big enough for both of them. are you able to put them in a run where they can have their own space as it were?

if you look at other bonding threads, i know some have used a car ride as part of bonding. mine were bonded when we did the first car ride tho and i did use the boot of my car which transports the dogs:D

Yes I'm thinking of just having them in the bathroom so they can scoot around rather than the tub.

I don't think it will matter that Cuddles follows my husband in there when he is out do you think?

Random Cuteness, Lambsie dosen't really like the cold :)
dscn0142o.jpg

dscn0141.jpg

Latest posts

Back