I have a delima

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetrose

Reaction score
Libby The true north west Montana, Montana, USA
OK so here goes a long story, please hold on till the end.

SO when I first started breeding it was with mini-rex, very "duriable" breed, I swear my guys can survive everything,

any how I have always loved the Elops,and decided about a year ago that I would start with a pair till I could get some more (where I was located before there were only like 2 breeders and they were both 3 hrs or more away. I contacted one and had 2 for sale a buck and a doe, both seniors, great type and ears, bodies almost perfect, the buck had 9GC legs and the doe had 2, So I went to pick them up I paid 225 for the both of them.

The breeder had just had surgery so was unable to do a lot of cleaning and the cages were pretty gross, I did later offer to come there sometime and help with cleaning if the breeder needed it (its hard when your hurt) so I got the buck and doe and the breeder offered me a third rabbit, a JR buck for free, his type was not bad but his ears were fabulous so I took him.

So I get them home and settled in (st this point they were in my garage it was winter) Everyone seemed to be doing well and then my SR buck died (some might remember anntone blue tort buck) he stopped eating and had diahrrea and was unable to take him to an emergency vet that knew anything about rabbits, so I was sad that I lost such an outstanding buck especially not having been able to breed him, I wanted everyone settled in first no need to add stress. I only had him for a week.

Well then 2 more weeks went by and I lost the JR buck but his death was different, He was fine eating normal, normal poops everything was fine and then the next morning he was gone.

well that following weekend there was show in town so I went hoping to find some new lines to add. I ran into said breeder and we started talking and I had informed said breeder that both buck had passed, well right away she offered to replace them, I accepted.

A week or so later I went to pick up a new buck and a doe ( all she had available) 3 weeks later my husband , daughter myself and all of our animals moved from texas to montana,

All animals did surprisingly well. I got them all settled into a building with heat (it was still below freezing here) and everyone was ok, about 3 and 1/2 weeks later the new doe passed, she was fine 1 minute then gone he next ( I havent been able to have necropcey done they want like 2000 around here) the 4 days later the buck passed same thing fine 1 minute and gone the next,

Now I still have the original doe and she is fine besides a mild case of the snuffles. Since then I have obtained new Elops form different breeders and they are all healthy and flourishing along with my Mini rex's. So here is my question, Am I doing something wrong or is this a case of bad lines or a bad breeder?

edited into paragraphs

You are more likely to get replies if your posts are short and concise, as well as broken up by a number of paragraphs to make them easier to read.

Personally, I don't have time to read a short novel and provide an answer.

It could be a multitude of things. Genetics, the poor housing, illness or anything. Some breeders pick type of hardiness.

Are you sure the cages were dirty only because the breeder was hurt?

No I am not sure b/c when I went back to pick up the rabbits to replace the originals they were still dirty and piled heaps of poo and urine every where they also breed birds but they looked to be in better shape and condition

Back