I have a couple of things I need help with...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLove06

Reaction score
My little girl, Daisy went into the vet today. Her eating (and therefore pooping) has gone way down all of a sudden. I think it has something to do with the HUGE shed she has begun. Anyway, we went to one of my rabbit savvy vets this morning with a bunch of questions that even she was stumped on.

Daisy has started eating her carefresh potty litter. Not the soiled stuff. Once I clean the potty she hops over to it and eats out of it like a dish. Nevermind the bunny food and hay and veggies I have out for her. This has only really just become an issue. It's like once she stopped really eating, she picked up the carefresh habit.

(We have been syringe feeding her critical care & she recieved some fluids today)

My other issue is that she chews on her potty. It's one of those plastic ones you find in the rabbit and rodent isle at the pet store. "Long John" or whatever you want to call it. My other rabbit sometimes chews on his, but never actually breaks anything off. Now, Daisy on the other hand not just chews on hers, but DOES get pieces off. All of the pieces I see are smaller than a grain of rice, but that doesn't mean there aren't bigger pieces (look at me, paranoid rabbit momma). We tried getting her a new potty because after a while they are useless as all of the litter just falls out with her getting in and out of it.

Sigh

So in short, my questions are (1) What other alternatives to litter would you recommend? (I think newspaper is out of the question because she LOVES paper products and would just shred/tear/eat/run around with it) & (2), Any recommendations for the potty? I have asked that in here before and someone said to put lemon juice on it- problem with that is that I still want her to actually use it. Are there other potties (maybe made for other animals) that are made of something more durable??

Thanks!!

I would get a litter box with a grate on top. This would prevent her from eating the litter, no matter what you use. You can get the corner ones with a grate, make a grate out of wire mesh, or get one of the cat boxes that is sifting or have a grate. I think some of the corner boxes with a grate have a plastic guard so the grate doesn't come out easily, this may prevent her from chewing it.
You might be able to find a metal or glass pan that would work as a litter box. She would not be able to chew it. Check hardware stores. Dollar stores might also be good as some have cheap plastic bins that would be easy to replace. A large glass or ceramic dish could also work.

I use wood pellets for litter. My rabbits don't try to eat them, but I do use a grate over the litter box. They are safe if eating in small amount as they just break down when wet.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
I use wood pellets for litter. My rabbits don't try to eat them, but I do use a grate over the litter box. They are safe if eating in small amount as they just break down when wet.
If you use wood pellets for litter, I definately recommend a grate. Only because I've found that the buns don't like standing in them.

I'll third the motion for the grate over the litter - mine likes to lay in his (he's white) and this keeps his clean and stops him from eating it (which I'm sure he would if there was no grate) I got the Runestonez litter - made out of plastic grating - nice & gentle on the feet

You Canadians are really lucky you can get the Runestonez litter grate. I'd make my own but I can honestly say I tried and failed miserably after getting cut by plastic all over my hands.

I tried mesh wire baskets from the Container Store. It worked really well to prevent the bun from getting to the litter but the poop remains up top which is a problem too. Also, it's murder trying to clean it, especially all the little hay bits that get in it.
IMG_0558.jpg

I have now opted to use a cooling rack, the kind that you use for baked goods. I got this at Crate & Barrel. I love that this style of cooling rack has square openings that are JUST big enough for the largest poops to fall through but little bun feet cannot get stuck in them.
DSC_3816.jpg

As you can see, I use wood pellets for my litter as well. My buns have no problem standing in it. I use the rack only because one of my buns is a digger and she tends to dig all the wet litter out :X

As for the chewing of the box itself, you can try to get metal buffet serving trays from restaurant supply stores. They come in different sizes and heights. Easy to clean, relatively light to carry.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I never thought to use a restaurant buffet dish- brilliant!!
I'll definitely look into the rack if the eating carefresh thing continues. She only really started it over the weekend when her appetite went away.
Are there different kind of wood litter pellets? I have heard of stove pellets- same thing?

BunnyLove06 wrote:
Are there different kind of wood litter pellets? I have heard of stove pellets- same thing?
Most wood pellets are the same, compressed saw dust. Each brand is a little different in texture and the size of the pellets. With wood stove pellets, you do need to make sure there are no accelerants added to help them burn. Usually, the wood stove pellets and the big bags of horse stall bedding from a feed store are the cheapest with the ones from pet stores being more expensive.

I agree with everyone else's suggestions - grate sounds like the way to go. I made some with 1"x1" deer/chicken fencing from the garden center in the hardware store. It was kind of a pain though, because you have to snip it with wire cutters, then use a dremel or something to get rid of the sharp edges. I like the idea of the cooling rack better, but couldn't find one that fit my square litter pan.

Also, it's possible that she's eating less food because she's eating the carefresh and filling up. I would change to wood stove pellets or get a grid quickly, and see if her appetite picks up after the paper buffet is taken away.

Thanks everyone!
Update today: My husband brought Daisy back to the vet yesterday for some more fluids. The tech there was saying that they have been having several bunnies come in this time of year that are shedding to prepare for a winter coat and thus getting hair in their digestive tract. Aside from getting a new potty and new litter material, we are to continue syringe feeding her Critical Care and getting or giving fluids until her appetite is back and she begins acting more normal.
I hate all of it. I hate having to take her from her cage because she won't come freely when I approach it. I know she doesn't like it, and it just breaks my heart that she is associating me with this torture. I cannot wait until she is better and back to being my sweet little angel.
She is eating a little hay now, and a little veggies. Still not drinking (but getting fuids two days in a row probably doesn't make her thirsty). I might be going back in with her later this afternoon to get a bag of the Lactated Ringers Solution so I can give it to her at home myself. I know she'll like that- but at least it means less car rides!
Wish me luck!

The grate I use is commonly called "egg crate." It is fluorescent light grate commonly available at Lowe's or Home Depot. It is easily cut to size with kitchen shears.

Latest posts

Back