I have a baby cottontail, i need help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVerneMelville

Reaction score
On may 6th I happened to get a baby cottontail I believe its a boy not sure
My friend was mowing the grass and it destroyed the whole hutch and this baby barely was able to run away before the mower hit the hutch (not sure what happened with the family) and my dad ended up picking the baby rabbit up

Anyway I went to petco got timothy hey some food pellets (not sure if thats safe or not) bedding a water bottle KMR milk syringe to feed it food bowl and a cage and probiotics for rabbits

Now my confusion lies with how much to feed at once in each feeding ,how often to feed him (i heard 2-3 times a day)

Also how much whipping cream do i add to 1oz or 30ml of KMR? I have to mix it together each feed I dont mind wasting a bit if need to (i currently cant refrigerate premaid formula due to roommates kids well drink it ,it almost happened once) and how often and how much do i give the probiotics? I have the powdered BENE-BAC plus Fos Probiotic by PetAg , also the KMR is powdered too by PetAg

Also I saw somewere that Rabbits eat the cecotrophs if thats true how do i get some how do i store it and how often do i feed it and how much and how do i feed it?

Also here is a picture of Moline the cottontail how old do you think he is?

Also any other advice would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20190505_124004.jpg
    20190505_124004.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 17
You need to find a wildlife rehabilitator near you and take the baby bunny there. They are the best qualified to raise this baby properly so that it can be released back into the wild. It is also likely illegal in your state(as it is in most states) to possess wildlife. If that is your correct zip code then check the link below for a rehabber near you.
https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/LawEnforcement/Documents/IllinoisWildliferehabilitationList.pdf
https://wildliferehabber.com/

Technically since the babies eyes are open it may be old enough to care for itself on it's own. If so it should be released back outside around the area you found it. If it isn't quite old enough and you can't get it to a rehabber soon enough(baby rabbits can't go too long without eating), then check the link below for proper care instructions for orphaned cottontails. If it is still young enough that it needs milk, the ratio is 3 parts powdered kmr, 3 parts water, 1 part cream, and probiotic(not sure the ratio). I would see if the baby will lap the milk out of a dish. Syringe feeding baby rabbits carries a high risk of aspiration pneumonia occurring, which is usually fatal. The baby is likely old enough to at least have started eating solid food. If so I would be offering rabbit safe forage that it would normally get in the wild, such as fresh grass, dandelions, etc, that haven't been sprayed with herbicides, fertilizer, pesticides, etc. DO NOT feed it rabbit pellets or any carbs or sugars. It's digestive tract won't be able to handle these foods as it's not accustomed to them, and feeding them could cause fatal diarrhea to occur. All the info on caring for and feeding orphaned cottontails is in this link.
https://www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm

Cecotropes would have to come from another healthy older rabbit. But most important, get the baby to a rehabber asap or release it back outside if it is old enough.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back