I had an asthma attack

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephiemarie78

Reaction score
I was abruptly woke up at about 1am this morning to a sever asthma attack. So bad that my boyfriend rushed me to the hospital. I've never had breathing problems before. Well after hours of be poke, prodded and asked a zillion questions it was determined that I had a allergic reaction animal dander that brought an asthma attack. Mind you I've never had a problem with my asthma for a very long time. I was given 2 different inhalers. And was advised it would be in my best interest to move Snoopy and Sadie out of bedroom. Since I told them I would absolutely NOT be giving up any of my animals. He told me that I should be careful went I'm cleaning cages and litter boxes because of urine. That the urine is the a source of allergens from my rabbits and guinea pig. That I should either wear a mask or have my boyfriend do the cleaning duties. I've always had a problem with animal dander with cats and dogs. When I lived with my husband we had 3 dogs and I had to get shots. I'm also allergic to dust mites among a list of other stuff. So my major problem right now is Where to put snoopy and sadie I have no room anywhere else, reason why they where in my bedroom. My husband offered to take them until we move but thats not untill this coming October. It might be my only option. He loves Snoopy so I know he'd take wonderful care of him. Plus he has the space. I'd be able to see them whenever I wanted too. But I feel like I'm abandoning them. :(

I don't think Snoopy would do well with out you. I would first try with the mask and so on.

Thats not the problem the problem is I don't have any room for snoopy and sadie's cage besides my bedroom and i can't have it there anymore. i can't sleep with a mask on lol and i never want to wake up and can't breath again it's scary

Initially you'll probably have to move them out of your room (temporarily) and clean it throughly.
Then I recommend a good HEPA filter.
Run it for a few days in the room without the buns.
Try putting them back in your room and see how it goes.
You might still have to wear a mask when you change litter pans or have any close contact with them

I run a HEPA filter 24/7 and it's amazing how much cleaner it keeps the air.
I went from dusting once a week to once a month.

Yea Jade and I've been talking about how i'm going to move everyone around and finding places for them. I'm going to see how it goes. Now if i could just bond Coco and Gator it would make things SOOOO much better =) I'm going to call my doctor monday and see what he'd suggest me taking to help. Cuz like i told the guy in the er no way i'm rehoming my pets.

Steph, I have severe asthma and allergies so I know how awful (and scary) it is. I have Basil and Max in my room but Im sure to keep their cage very clean (I usually wear a mask when I clean) and I also invested in an awesome HEPA filter.

I take Singulair and Claritin D andAdvair and have an albuterol inhaler for attacks.

I know Soooska is also allergies to her bunnies (she actually gets a rash if they lick her) and she has two in her room. She also has a HEPA filter she uses- they are a godsend :)

Hi Sweetie...I'm so sorry to hear that you're having allergy problems with them. :(

I don't have any advice to lend, because I've never faced the problem myself, but thought I would at least lend the Library thread of Reducing Allergies in the hopes that it would help you somehow.

Hugs to you, and remember that you can talk to me anytime! :)

Rosie*

Thanks =) I've been looking around and theres acutally alot more that I can do to help the problem. I move them into the dining room where everyone else is its kinda a pain to get around and it's blocking 1 entrance to the kitchen but I'm going to clean the carpets in my room and take my blanket to the cleaners. I looked at HEPA filters and found one that I like but it's expensive so my mom said she she would order one online and have it shipped to me. I have a good feeling that everythings going to be ok. I was just worried after I got home. Plus i'm sure my doctor can get me something to take.

Yeah, I think things are going to work out fine, Sweetie...

Just be sure to try to keep your stress as low as possible...as that might also affect your asthma.

Hugs to you (and the buns, and Cody, and your man)!!!

Rosie*

Latest posts

Back