I got my blue point baby yesterday.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leo9lionheads

Reaction score
latejuly001.jpg

She is pretty nice right now and only getting better as she gets older, I can't wait to show her this fall and breed her into my sable points this winter. I also bought a Black doe yesterday when doing some rabbit transportation that I am picking up on Saturday that I am also excited about.

Wow - thats a nice lionhead - very nice. She might be a tad bit long - but not bad at all - I wish we could see her face better. Her mane looks crimped so I'm betting she'll keep it.

I really like her head shape (what I can tell of it) and her ears.

Can we see more pictures?

Thanks, yes at this point shes a little long in body but shes got some good hindquarters under that fuzz and nice shoulders to go along :biggrin: I just hope she stays this nice.

here's a head-shot:
latejuly2013.jpg

almost has the width I am looking for, but also needs to shed some.

Then her HQ's:
latejuly2016.jpg

only a little pinched, which is pretty good compared to some stock I have seen.

Definitely a nice doe - I would consider her for sure if I was back in lionheads (not that you asked). Then again - I tended to have short bucks with the dwarfing gene and longer does. She has the length I like for breeding.

It seems to me like I used to hear cautions about breeding in a dilute into the shadeds - like it could mess up the colors somewhere down the line. Its been years - I don't remember all the details - but you might want to think some about that.

Then again - if your shadeds are smutty - I was thinking a dilute might help. (Doesn't sound right for some reason).

Either way - she's a cutie. I love her face and her ears.

TinysMom wrote:
Definitely a nice doe - I would consider her for sure if I was back in lionheads (not that you asked). Then again - I tended to have short bucks with the dwarfing gene and longer does. She has the length I like for breeding.

It seems to me like I used to hear cautions about breeding in a dilute into the shadeds - like it could mess up the colors somewhere down the line. Its been years - I don't remember all the details - but you might want to think some about that.

Then again - if your shadeds are smutty - I was thinking a dilute might help. (Doesn't sound right for some reason).

At this point Smoke pearls and Blue Points are show able in LH's. I reserved her as a sable point actually but when she opened her eyes it was apparent she was dilute. I wasn't interested in bring dilute into my sable points but she has the HQ's I am looking for in my sable points and color comes after type and I can breed it out if I eventually want to.

You should get back into LH's, Theresa has awesome rabbits and should do well with presenting this year.

Mary Weber, Shes out of Weber's Amber and Weber's Thriller. She just sold Thriller so I bought a baby of of him as I never got a chance to breed to him like I wanted to.

lol.. typo it was supposed to be a chocolate tort/orange it is out of 2 chocolates probably a choco tort but it kind of has white markings and then a chestnut ... Both are single kits

Yeah mary is nice we have been buying from her for over a year now she has helped us out alot :)

schneider1022 wrote:
lol.. typo it was supposed to be a chocolate tort/orange it is out of 2 chocolates probably a choco tort but it kind of has white markings and then a chestnut ... Both are single kits

Yeah mary is nice we have been buying from her for over a year now she has helped us out alot :)
Oh yes she just told me about it on the phone. Yes shes really nice she sold me my first pair and I have been buying from her repetitively, I wanted to go to the Wisconsin show on the 12th with her and everybody else from Michigan but I had horse shows on the 11th and 12th so I couldn't go.

mistyjr wrote:
I have talked to the Weber a lot in emails. She's the one that wants my Lion-Head Doe.
" The black doe is very similar to Black Knight. Black Knight is the Grand Sire to the BOB 2010 Lionhead Nationals blue tort buck" :)
Haha yes that's something mary would do. She does in fact look allot like him, Blue (BOB 2010 Lionhead Natls. buck) has a similar body but a very different head.

leo9lionheads wrote:
TinysMom wrote:

At this point Smoke pearls and Blue Points are show able in LH's. I reserved her as a sable point actually but when she opened her eyes it was apparent she was dilute. I wasn't interested in bring dilute into my sable points but she has the HQ's I am looking for in my sable points and color comes after type and I can breed it out if I eventually want to.

You should get back into LH's, Theresa has awesome rabbits and should do well with presenting this year.
Yes, I am seriously considering it. I am currently contacting the three breeders I would like to work with (one wants to get out of breeding - so I'm getting more information about their stock).

If I get lionheads - I will definitely be getting them from Nita and Kaela Shannon of Legendary Minis - and from Lisa Brown of Castlegate Lionheads. I have some specific reasons for doing this though - Legendary Minis have a lot of rabbits that came from Theresa's lines and I think go back to Tuborg. Castlegate has lots of rabbits that go back to Cimmaron's Firebear because she bought out a lot of Diane Ostrem's stock (DJ's Rabbits) when she got out of breeding.

The third breeder I won't mention because they aren't really talking much about wanting to get out and are still trying to make a decision.

Both of these breeders that I want to buy from - compete on the local and national levels and both do fairly well at the shows. They are also respected among the "veteran" lionhead breeders who have been around a while - and I know stuff about their lines simply by keeping in touch with those who have been breeding and have bought rabbits from them and kept breeding them for a while, etc.

The hardest decision is what colors (ok - so type does matter first). Originally - I was going to be pulling a COD (last month) for chocolates and the otter group as those are my favorite colors. (I LOVE chocolate tort too).

But the breeders I want to buy from - don't tend to work with those colors....I know Nita has done a lot with the reds...that would be very interesting.

I have a lot of thinking to do about this though before I jump back in. Like...how many would I add (I'm thinking a maximum of six) - and would I want them from one breeder's lines or from more than one breeder.

I used to do the " roam the websites and buy odds and ends from various breeders because this one was cute and that one was cute...." - and learned the hard and expensive way that they might be cute and showable - but that not all lines "click" well together when breeding.

I'd really like to find folks who have lines out of Bob Whitman's Blue Boy as any and ALL offspring I ever had from him (even single manes) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS kept their manes - and I had at least 30 or so lionheads that had him in the pedigree. They would molt out their manes and it would come in fuller...it was so nice.

Anyway - lots to think about - mull over - talk to some trusted breeders about, etc.

I've heard people say for five years (even before I started) that Theresa will be the one to get the lionheads passed. I agree with this - because I've watched her lionheads over the years and she consistently produces the same type and has culled hard to reach that point.

I would consider buying directly from her....but Nita & Kaela's rabbits are more in my reach financially - and they are friends that I trust.

About your doe - I sure understand it about "colors comes after type". I did like her hindquarters and as you say - you can always breed out the dilute. I hope she'll add a lot to your program - I LOVE her ears.

I think that seeing lionheads of that caliber showing up on the forum is part of what is making me think of getting back into them. I started seeing the lionheads go in that direction type-wise about 2 1/2 years ago ....but now I'm seeing it more often among the breeders I follow.

CONGRATS on your doe!

leo9lionheads wrote:
I so meant to add - this is one reason I am toying with going to ARBA Nationals this year. I have followed the whole COD process for so long - and had some mentors that really helped me learn about lionheads and how the process goes and all the history behind the breed.

I have to say - I do sorta miss them - ok - maybe a lot.

I didn't think I would.

The ARBA convention or the LH nationals would be a good place to go if your thinking about getting back into lionheads then you get to see what people are breeding for and some of the top quality LH.

If you like Chocolate and Chocolate Torts I would reccomend LA Lions or Weber ... LA Lions has the COD pulled for the Chocolate, Chocolate Tort, Lilac, Opal, and Seal I believe we plan on purchasing something from her around Convention Time or Natioanls time. But Mary has some awesome chocolate torts right now. Legendary has some nice bunnies as well... We purchased a bunny from them at nationals this year that we were happy with and we purchased a bunny from chowmane that we were very very happy with.

schneider1022 wrote:
The ARBA convention or the LH nationals would be a good place to go if your thinking about getting back into lionheads then you get to see what people are breeding for and some of the top quality LH.

That is part of why I'm considering - although truth be told - I've been following what breeders are breeding and showing even though I wasn't breeding. I regularly check websites for wins/litters, etc.

That is part of why I know already who I want to get bunnies from and what lines I want to use/cross.

If you like Chocolate and Chocolate Torts I would reccomend LA Lions or Weber ... LA Lions has the COD pulled for the Chocolate, Chocolate Tort, Lilac, Opal, and Seal I believe we plan on purchasing something from her around Convention Time or Natioanls time. But Mary has some awesome chocolate torts right now. Legendary has some nice bunnies as well... We purchased a bunny from them at nationals this year that we were happy with and we purchased a bunny from chowmane that we were very very happy with.

I think I'm going to put aside (for now) my love of chocolates in order to get rabbits from the breeders/lines I want. I imagine I will work with the shadeds since I love those and want to keep just a small herd when I get back into this (assuming I do).

Both Nita and Lisa already know I'm interested for this fall.

TinysMom wrote:
leo9lionheads wrote:
I so meant to add - this is one reason I am toying with going to ARBA Nationals this year. I have followed the whole COD process for so long - and had some mentors that really helped me learn about lionheads and how the process goes and all the history behind the breed.

I have to say - I do sorta miss them - ok - maybe a lot.

I didn't think I would.
If not convention definitely go to nationals in Ohio the first weekend of may. I had an amazing time attending this year and with the 4 rabbits I brought I did very well. I never even dream of BOB or BOSB let alone both so that was a shock for me.

I want to go to convention this year, I have some stellar babies in the nest-box that will be 4-5 months old during convention I just have to finish convincing my parents, although it helps they want to go too :wink and I want to watch presentation, I am really crossing my fingers for torts, well all the colors Theresa is presenting this year.

Latest posts

Back