I got laid off

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep trying to be positive. That's the only bit of advice that I have for you. At least you still have a form of income. :) Save up, because WI unemployment can sometimes take forever to get! It's nice when you get a monstrous back-payment check, but it chews through savings waiting for it!

Look on the bright side, you got laid off in April, which means you can enjoy Spring! :) In between job hunting and your normal activities, go outside and play with your bunnies! I got fired last April and that's what I did. I laid around for a week, then started going outside and enjoying the nice weather.

Things will turn around, sometimes, it just takes awhile. :) :hug:

Canada is definitely going through the Recession, maybe not as bad as the States though.

Our banking system here seems to be better than the States. It's much harder to get Mortgages here. I've seen on some TV shows how people really fib about their wages and get huge mortgages that they can't pay.

Susan :)

Oh no, I can't imagine how awful that must have been. Going to work, getting told you're fired, and being walked out to your car! I'd be a total wreck. I hope with your specialized experience you can get another job soon. At least WI has a lot of science-y businesses. I'm SO glad I'm in the non-profit sector--we're getting more grants (economic stimulus package) to do research, rather than losing jobs.

bat42072 wrote:
I am very sorry that you lost your job... i hope you find a new job soon...my husbands job has laid off 3 people in the last two weeks... one employee was there 37 years. the only reason my husband is still there is because he can do all the different jobs that they do plus he is the only one willing to work out of town

Where I work, we brought up Shared Work, which is a branch of Unemployment.

We now get payed partial unemployment for hours lost. You have to work no more than 32 hours in a week to qualify, but if you call in sick or take a vacation day you are disqualified for that week...

At my job we're working 32 hours a week, most weeks, or even less.

For a 32 hour week I receive $64 through Shared work, plus an additional $25.. I don't understand the $25 creditbut have the paperwork here somewhere - but the extra $25 is something Obama implimented.

If anyone here (in the US) works at a place that cuts hours or is doing layoffs, I'd encourage you to have your HR look into the Shared Work program.

When times are tight every pennny counts.

At 20 I wish I had gone to a four year college.

They always have sick animals? Being a vet tech I thought that but I have next to no experience and the vet is going to take a tech with 20 or so years then tech with 1 year or less.

Everyone I graduated with is in the same boat. A lot are going back for nursing. I might to soon real soon. I put in app everyday. And I am either over qualified or just not the right person.

Or my tats can be seen. or they think I wont except the pay. right now i would take 5.15 a hour.

Shiner burn center just annoncende they might close six more hospitals. Plus the one on galveston island

My friend who was a little... off... Said that her life's plan was to become an undertaker and move to Florida. There are a lot of old people down there, so there would be a constant supply of work! It's like a goldmine down there, according to her. :p

Well, my mother's advice is get a job that has to do with poop! Be a plumber or engineer who works on the sanitation systems or something else that deals with bodily waste.

Everybody poops, and no one wants to deal with it. So there will always be work for those willing to keep poop away from the general population and cleaned up.

--Dawn

Oh no I'm sorry!
th_HUG.gif

moz-screenshot-6.jpg
moz-screenshot-7.jpg

aurora369 wrote:
Well, my mother's advice is get a job that has to do with poop! Be a plumber or engineer who works on the sanitation systems or something else that deals with bodily waste.

Everybody poops, and no one wants to deal with it. So there will always be work for those willing to keep poop away from the general population and cleaned up.

--Dawn
My Dad has been with waste water management for over 20 years and they are even threatening lay offs because it is a city job. Luckily, my Dad is higher up, so his job is safe.

Naturestee...I am so sorry to hear about you're lay off :(. Ryan and I want to search for new jobs, but we are so scared to because with our current jobs...we don't risk being laid off, but with a new job...we might have that risk. It stinks.

Naturestee, I'm sorry to hear that.

There are grumblings at my work about possible layoffs, too. They've been offering voluntary time off almost every day for a couple months now. So far, there have been enough volunteers so they don't have to force anyone to leave. (That department has a lot of young people who still live at home, and are perfectly happy to only work 2 or 3 days a week, even if they're not getting paid for the time off.)

Although layoffs are still just rumors at this point, it's really nerve-wracking that there really isn't enough work to go around.

Latest posts

Back