I got a new bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skybunny11

Reaction score
Well, I heard someone in town was giving away an Angora rabbit, my mom is gaga for Angora's because she is a fiber artist and likes to use their wool. I went to this ladies house, she had I think 5 holland lops and this French Angora had the biggest cage in the corner. She was covered in hay and when I picked her up a bunch of fur fell off (she was blowing her coat, no one groomed her though). She had mats all over her and I could feel every bone in her body. The lady said she would give me the cage and she would just clean it out. She unhooked it and went to dump it, it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in 3 weeks. It was just horrible. Then the guy walked in and saw me holding the rabbit, his immediate response was "how can you hold that thing its disgusting".
I got her home and yesterday she spent most of her day eating. I've been giving her pellet, apples, carrots, and timothy hay. She was starving poor baby :( She is older I'm guessing around 4 or 5 years old. She is really sweet and pretty harlequin color. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

Really? Asking how you could hold that "thing"?

That sort of behaviour is more disgusting then anything a rabbit could produce D: I'm glad you got it out of the situation!

Poor bunny. Glad she is in a good home now.
I would hold off on the carrots and apple until she is more settled in and you know can better monitor her. Too much new food can be bad, especially if she has not had a good diet before.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Poor bunny. Glad she is in a good home now.
I would hold off on the carrots and apple until she is more settled in and you know can better monitor her. Too much new food can be bad, especially if she has not had a good diet before.
Definitely agree with this. Just let her have unlimited hay and pellets for the first week or so. Good for you for getting her out of that situation. I have never seen a harli Angora so I would love to see pics of her. :)

Hai080.jpg

Hai074.jpg

This is Brisket :)

OMG! She is ssssoooooooo cute! Are you sure she isn't an english? It sort of looks like she has tufts on her ears? I have a rescued english angora that is cream.

That is so wonderful that you were able to get her out of that horrible situation! It does take a bit of work to keep up with the wool, but it is so worth it. I love to snuggle with my Houdini because he's so soft and sweet. They do tend to drag more litter out of the box than most because of the long hair, but I just use a mat from the cat section that lets the bits fall off when they hop out that were stuck. It helps prevent most of the tracking issues.

Just in case you don't already know, you will want to use a higher protein food. If they don't get enough protein they will chew their own fur which can lead to a blockage. I use oxbow for young animals and supplement with alfalfa blocks (he gets unlimited timothy hay too).

What a beautiful baby, I can't wait to see how the wool grows out over time! :inlove:

She might be an english cross but she has more of a French look to her. I know about there food, I use to raise Angores :) She has actually gained some weight since being at my house which is good. I'm excited to see how her fur grow outs too!

She almost looks like she has some lion head in her. I almost see it in the face and the wool around the face. It doesn't look clean enough to be a pure french angora, but not fluffy enough for an English. She is very pretty whatever she is.

She's blowing her coat bad you guys, so thats why she looks fluffier in the face and less fur in her body. She looked really fluffy when I saw her in the cage and I picked her up a bunch of fur fell out because they hadn't been grooming her, she is big too. I'm pretty sure she doesn't have lionhead in her.

Latest posts

Back