i got a flea comb

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manda

Reaction score
i seen some fleas, and bought a flea comb. well i combed and didnt get any fleas on the comb. today i seen some more fleas so i am going to comb again.

do you comb the fur upwards? do you come it backwards, or the way the hair grows like your just brushing them. this may sound silly but i am just wondering why i didnt get any fleas

I honestly wouldn't waste my time with a flea comb. Fleas are very fast and run rapidly along the skin -- unlikely that you'll catch many with a comb. If you do, they jump away, only to get back on your pet later.

Also, fleas spend much of their time off the animal as well.

It's simply a waste of time to attempt to comb them out.

Pam

Although i haven't tried my flea comb on the rabbits it works awsome for the dog!! The trick is to dip the comb in soapy water, then brush in the direction the hair grows then dip again. The soapy water weighs the fleas down so they can't escape.when you get to the end of the hair, pull the comb upwards away from the skin.This way you are not just pushing them farther down the animal.

I just used a flea comb the other day and it worked pretty well. And it was only 80cents from PetSmart haha...

The way i did it was blow onto the fur and the fleas come to the surface, and then quickly comb over them so they get stuck in between the teeth of the comb and then as quickly as you can dunk the comb in a bucket of soapy water and the fleas will drown.

Usually only 1 flea gets in the comb at a time, so its a little time consuming but id say its definately worth it :)

thanks alot. what kind of soap are you using? i was using that ivory liquid dish soapbut i dried the comb well before use, so thats why i bet it didnt work well.

manda wrote:
thanks alot. what kind of soap are you using? i was using that ivory liquid dish soapbut i dried the comb well before use, so thats why i bet it didnt work well.
I just used dish soap as well. I dont think it really matters though, since the fleas just drown in it anyways...I was drying the comb a bitsometimes after each dunk too, cuz i was basically only doing the buns face so i didnt wanna get too much water on his head. Hope this helps!

It takes about an hour or so for a flea to drown, thats why the soap part is so important. If you have concerns about soap residue maybe you could find a soap that is all naturalfrom a health store.

Back