I gave my breeder the best gift ever

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sickbunny

Reaction score
I dont think anyone could appreciate this story like a rabbit breeder, so I wanted to share it with you.

I'm new at breeding, I've had one litter, hoping for more someday.

I bought two 6 months old jersey woolies at the fair 3 1/2 years ago. The breeder said they were good breeder quality if I ever wanted to breed them. Smiley is a broken white and siamese, and Lily is a broken blue and white. They were sooo beautiful, they had wonderful circles with fantastic swirls around their eyes and sweet bow colored spots over their noses.

The next year at the fair I fell in love with a 2 month old blue male lionhead.

I didnt let myself buy a rabbit the next year at the fair, lol, I said keep me away from the bunny barn!

I bred the lionhead with the siamese wooly. i was curious- wouldnt it make a great rabbit with even furrier face? But no- we had 3 babies, one shorthaired tan, one blue like his dad, and a white one with crazy tufts of hair. I decided that if I was going to breed rabbits, I should breed the same breed. (not saying its wrong to experiment, but just wasnt right for me). I found them all homes no problem cause they were cute, but i wanted even cuter babies.

I went to the fair last summer looking for a good jersey wooly male for my two beautiful girls, and decided to make the lionhead a pet, because I didnt think he was such a good quality of his breed.

I'm walking around looking at rabbits, and I asked if they had any good woolies for sale. They sent this young man out to talk to me, and amazingly he was the one who sold me the two woolies 3 years before. And this is where the story gets amazing-

I told him about the two, and not only did he remember them, he was overjoyed to hear about them. He said, omg i am sooo happy to hear my rabbits are out there still breeding. i'd give anything to have a baby from them. I explained that I didnt originally intend to breed them, I'd never written him for the pedigrees, and he said he had saved them for some reason. I told him about the lionhead, he said you have to breed 50 rabbits to get one decent one with that breed. I said yes, but mine are mutts and I dont want to breed mutts, I want a really nice male for my girls cause theyre beautiful. He offered to give me a male in exchange for a baby, and then he told me his sad story:

He was on vacation and had people coming twice a day to check on the rabbits, they had just left. There was an electrical fire and the barn burned down. Of the 50 rabbits in the barn, only 5 made it out...

my heart broke at the thought. he said people had been nice and given him rabbits to start again, but he thought some lines were lost forever. he was doing good his male was in the top 10, but he'd give anything for one of my babies. and here is where i gave him the best ever present and made a great sacrifice:

I said I'll give you one of the rabbits in exchange for a decent male to breed to the other one. And i said the siamese still has her litter, but I will give you the blue one because she is the better looking of the two. He gladly said deal! and helped me pick the better of two males he had up for sale, I got benny, an adorable black male jersey who is sooo small.

I brought Lily to the fair. He looked in the box and I said this is Lily, and he said her great grandmothers name was Lily. He looked kind of mistyeyed, and I thought how wonderful, what seemed lost was now found. He took her out and examined her and said she was absolutely beautiful, and in fact, she was better than any female he had at home, and he was going to put her in some shows. He was just tickled pink with this rabbit, and said she looked really healthy. He said her only fault was she was a little big, that was about the limit on size, but would be good for breeding. I said we thought she was a runt, cause Smiley looks like a horse compared to her. That was why he sold them, he thought they would get too big. Smiley is huge, she is twice the size of Benny. And I tend to overfeed her, so she has a lot of "padding" lol.

My daughter was astounded. She said Lily was your favorite, you loved Lily, how could you give her away? I said it was easy! If you love something, you let it go- and by letting Lily go, I was giving Lily a better life. She would be in wonderful hands with a person who would take the best care of her. But even more important- he was going to breed her to his best male. By recreating little perfect Lilies, she would live on forever- just like her great grandma Lily lived on thru her.

Only a rabbit breeder could probably understand that.

I'm still not a breeder. I felt sorry for two little pet quality broken black and white females leftover at the end of the fair and took them home too, Bella and Daisy. And then the trouble started. Bella was sneezing from day one. I posted in infirmary about it, and it ended up being pasteurella, pseudomonas, e-cuniculi. Knowing there was a sneezing problem, I waited to breed Smiley and Benny. I'm still waiting. Daisy died, and Bella is still sick. All 4 of my rabbits are on e-cuniculi antibiotics right now. Even tho the adults have had no symptoms, I won't breed till I'm sure there's no health risk. its good i waited, since it took awhile to get a proper diagnosis, and now they are all taking the meds. but i dream of someday... baby jersey woolies, how cute they will be.

and now a question for the breeders- is it too late? Smiley is about 4 now, and has only been bred once. How old is too old for a rabbit to breed? i desperately want to get a litter or two and have little baby smileys. The breeder said benny is perfect because he is ultrasmall to balance the heifer lol, she is HUGE, and the black is perfect for a broken siamese and white. is it too late do you think? and what do you think about the disease problem? once the adults finish the antibiotic, since they have shown no symptoms even after 6 months with the other two in the house, do you think its safe to breed them? Bella is in another room near theirs, but the vet said it can be contagious from 3-4 feet, so she has to be away from them, even tho im sure she's lonely for bunny company. we feed her last and wash hands and dont let them exercise in the same areas. the adults have never had a health issue, and they are all fat happy bunnies. but im afraid, what if the babies are born and they catch this. but smileys getting older and the clock is ticking... what do you think?

i hope you all liked my story of Lily, and I wanted you all to know that sometimes, when you sell someone a bunny, wonderful things can come of it. some people really love their rabbits, and lily was Adored- she gave a good bunny kick on the table when he examined her, and altho some might describe Lily as having an attitude and being petulant and surly, i just grinned and said lily has a lot of personality! i loved her sassy spunky behavior, she was no placid dumb bunny, she never bit but boy could she kick when she didnt like something! Lily was a character and i miss her dearly, she was my favorite rabbit ever- but giving her away was the easiest thing i've ever done. you can understand that i'm sure. :)

Wow long!

Yes breeding the same breed of rabbit better. Lol

I would feel the same about geting a kit from a pair of buns that would be left from a tragidy.

thanks lindy, i knew rabbit people could understand his joy!

mistyjr- 27 rabbits! wow! lucky you! i live in a 3 bdr appt, and i cant indulge my desire for too many, i'm thinking mebbe i can squeeze in one or two more but that will be about it. i want to get a couple more females for benny.

advice please from anyone- is 4 too old to breed? when is too old? when will it be safe with the disease problems in the household? thank you for your advice!

I think i remember hearing about the barn that burned down. And breeders pulled together and donated a bunch of rabbits to the man. It was in an article from the ARBA magazines.

I would say try her out and we usually comply with the three strikes rule. No babies after three breedings and the doe is pet. As long as there have been no cuniculi symptoms. Keep doing what you're doing and separate Bella and handle her last. E.cuniculi is spread via urine i believe so just make sure that if you move the rabbits around or get rid of any clean the cages with bleach or other solutions to kill any bacteria before putting in new bunnies

It is amazing how often barns burn down - I know of at least four barn fires in the last five years just in the lionhead community.

Most people lost more or all of their rabbits - except for one breeder who didn't lose ANY.

Her cages were on wheels and she and her kids ROLLED the cages out the door - there was smoke damage - but no rabbits were lost to that fire.

Just something for folks to consider...she when she rebuilds her barn - she's putting a ramp at the door to make it easier to get the cages out.

I like it. You have the heart of the herdsman.

The bloodlines are the important thing. Individual bunnies can be dear,
but because rabbits have such phenomenal birthrates, the bloodline has
a life of its own.

One of my favorite rabbits was a Blue Dutch buck named Schettlers
Chevy. We picked him up in a raffle. We called him Baloo because he
was big. He was a big Dutch with a lot of rabbit personality. Always
glad to meet you when you came to feed or visit and he never bit
anybody.

Baloo never won a leg, too big, kept getting DQed for being
overweight. But he did produce 3 Grand Champions among his offspring.
A long line of offspring including Dust Bunny, Lulu, Shirley,
Catalina, Blue Betty, Blueberry, and the last of his line, Blue Berry
Bonds, a Blue Dutch Buck with 15 Grand Champion legs.

Blue Berry Bonds passed away in 2005, but we will remember Baloo
and his children forever.

Have a joyful day!

I would have a hard time saying yes or no to the too old to breed question. I normally retire does at 4 years old, but I had one stay in condition and took me a little while before I got the nerves up to breed her. She had 3 gorgeous babies at almost 5 years old, and she wanted another round. She had a year between litters prior.

:thanks::woohoo

SMILEY HAD A BABY LAST NIGHT !

its 6 am but there's no sleeping for this excited bunny grandma!

actually, she had two- but one was born dead. that is sad, but part of nature. i wondered tho- it looks like it has a long scratch down its side. do you think when she was tearing off the sac maybe her nails were too sharp and she cut it? i have no idea what went wrong, it was ice cold but the sac had been pulled off it. but the live bunny- it is a fat solid looking little bunny. i am praying so hard for this little one to make it, but it looks really good!

i wanted babies sooo badly, but not for me- this bunny is going to be a present for the breeder. i gave him lily, and smiley is lily's cousin. this increases the lines he will have back now since smiley is from a slightly different line than lily. what a wonderful present this baby will be!

i had almost despaired- i thought she didnt take. i put benny in with smiley at the beginning of may and and took him out at the end of the month. all thru june i waited- and then i told my daughter it didnt work- smiley is just obviously too old, she never seemed interested in benny. my daughter said maybe it was because smiley is too big and benny is too small. i said i'll try again putting her back with him next week after theyve been apart a month. and apparently at the end of the month right before i pulled her out they had pulled it off! my daughter woke me up with the news and when we went in to look, she said "good job benny!" lol

i took the dead baby out but didnt go near the live one- smiley did a good job taking care of the other litter and now its up to her if this one makes it, i'm not going to interfere in any way.

i want to thank you all for all the supportive comments!

i'm going to two county fairs this summer, and i'm hoping to bring home a new female, or maybe even two, for benny. i might try for one more litter from smiley just so i can have one of her babies too, but then i will retire her. smiley has the most awesome eye markings- the swirls around her eyes are incredible. this little baby is pink and its face has a black splotch, and so im hoping it will be a broken just like its mama with the same incredible face.

cross your fingers please and say a little prayer for our little baby that it makes it, because this baby is going to be such an important carrier of lines that were thought lost. i will see the breeder in one month at the county fair, and i will know then if the little one has made it, and will be able to tell him about the wonderful present i have for him. i'll offer to take a road trip for two hours and deliver it when its old enough. i wont let it go until at least 8 weeks, maybe 10. i kept the first litter until they were 11 weeks before i let them go to their new homes, and at that point i knew they were ready because a little male tried humping both his mother and sisters and smiley was getting very annoyed with him and i said they're ready to go now, lol. but better to wait and make sure they are old enough than pull them away too soon i figured and this baby will be too precious to take any chances.

this baby will be so valued and loved! :stork:

rabbitgeek wrote:
I like it. You have the heart of the herdsman.

The bloodlines are the important thing. Individual bunnies can be dear,
but because rabbits have such phenomenal birthrates, the bloodline has
a life of its own.

One of my favorite rabbits was a Blue Dutch buck named Schettlers
Chevy. We picked him up in a raffle. We called him Baloo because he
was big. He was a big Dutch with a lot of rabbit personality. Always
glad to meet you when you came to feed or visit and he never bit
anybody.

Baloo never won a leg, too big, kept getting DQed for being
overweight. But he did produce 3 Grand Champions among his offspring.
A long line of offspring including Dust Bunny, Lulu, Shirley,
Catalina, Blue Betty, Blueberry, and the last of his line, Blue Berry
Bonds, a Blue Dutch Buck with 15 Grand Champion legs.

Blue Berry Bonds passed away in 2005, but we will remember Baloo
and his children forever.

Have a joyful day!

thank you! you understood perfectly why this is so important to me! :biggrin2:

Blaze_Amita wrote:
I would have a hard time saying yes or no to the too old to breed question. I normally retire does at 4 years old, but I had one stay in condition and took me a little while before I got the nerves up to breed her. She had 3 gorgeous babies at almost 5 years old, and she wanted another round. She had a year between litters prior.

thank you! your comment gave me hope, and now the hope has become a reality! :biggrin2:

CCWelch wrote:
4 is not to old to breed, I had an English Spot kindle a litter at 7 years and she lived 2 more years after.

thank you! when i read that, i really felt there was still hope, and i was impressed with the fact that your rabbit lived such a long life. smiley doesnt act like an old lady, she still has plenty of feisty behavior in her. she was such a good mother to her first litter that i felt she really enjoyed being a mom. now that she has proven she's not too old yet, i want to try for one more litter, and then i'll let her retire. i wont wait so long between litters, i'll give her a month to rest once the baby is gone, and then put benny back with her again. i would really like to have a baby of hers for myself. but even if it doesnt happen, at least i have this baby now to give to the breeder to help continue the lines and i will be happy with that. this baby is going to be such a treasure, and your comment gave me real hope that this day would come, and now its here. thank you!

woahlookitsme wrote:
I think i remember hearing about the barn that burned down. And breeders pulled together and donated a bunch of rabbits to the man. It was in an article from the ARBA magazines.

I would say try her out and we usually comply with the three strikes rule. No babies after three breedings and the doe is pet. As long as there have been no cuniculi symptoms. Keep doing what you're doing and separate Bella and handle her last. E.cuniculi is spread via urine i believe so just make sure that if you move the rabbits around or get rid of any clean the cages with bleach or other solutions to kill any bacteria before putting in new bunnies

thank you! i think that is really good advice with the three strikes rule. i was despaired thinking it hadnt worked, but i thought okay strike one, i will try again and then a 3rd time like you suggested. only it wasnt a strike, benny got the job done the first time. i'm going to try for one more litter, and i'll use the 3 strikes rule. after either another litter, or 3 strikes, then i will let her retire. the first litter was 3 live babies. this one is 1 live and 1 dead. so i think one more litter would be okay to try for, but then after that i should let her stop. she has no symptoms of the 3 diseases and neither does benny. bella still sneezes occasionally but not as bad, and bella is kept away from them in a separate room. smiley turned 4 in feb. so there would be plenty of time to get in another litter before she turns 5. but since there was a smaller litter i think time is really starting to run out now. how long after the baby is weaned do you think before i could try again? i was thinking a month break, and then trying. what would you suggest?

You're so cute, your enthusiasm is infectious. Congratulations on your new baby! Sometimes breeders who breed a lot of rabbits year-round can forget the specialness of that one cherished, longed-for baby.

I am kind of in the same boat right now; I have a pair of black silver marten Netherland Dwarfs (Dreamcatcher Dwarfs) who are 4 years old. I am DESPERATE for a baby from them to keep, they are such magnificent and gorgeous rabbits. I keep trying and will continue to do so once fall comes in; right now it's just too hot and I know they won't take.

If you want to breed Smiley again, you can breed her as soon as the baby is weaned if she seems like she's in good shape and can handle it. May as well try one more time to see if there is one you can keep! Can we see pics of these beautiful buns?

HappyFarmBunnies wrote:
You're so cute, your enthusiasm is infectious. Congratulations on your new baby! Sometimes breeders who breed a lot of rabbits year-round can forget the specialness of that one cherished, longed-for baby.

I am kind of in the same boat right now; I have a pair of black silver marten Netherland Dwarfs (Dreamcatcher Dwarfs) who are 4 years old. I am DESPERATE for a baby from them to keep, they are such magnificent and gorgeous rabbits. I keep trying and will continue to do so once fall comes in; right now it's just too hot and I know they won't take.

If you want to breed Smiley again, you can breed her as soon as the baby is weaned if she seems like she's in good shape and can handle it. May as well try one more time to see if there is one you can keep! Can we see pics of these beautiful buns?

thank you! oh thats good advice about it being so hot! the baby will be 8 weeks old around the first of sept, so it should be right in time for fall and cooler weather.

good luck with your breeders and dont give up hope!

i have to get pictures put on a cd and then have my daughter put them on the computer cause im not really good with computers. maybe next week when i go on vacation i could try. i'd really like to show everyone smileys's awesome eye swirls!

:apollo:

smiley's baby (known as THE baby) lol is doing wonderful!

i thought it had a black splotch on its nose but that musta been crud. the baby is totally white now. and it's HUGE! it looked big the first day but now it looks really big, its head is sooo huge! its gonna be a whopper just like its momma!

at first, my daughter wasnt that fond of smiley. smiley's eye swirls can look kinda evil, and she's a complainer- she grunts a lot very loudly if she gets the least bit upset. when i explained to her that smiley was beautifully marked, but her problem was she was too big for what the breed standard wanted, my daughter suddenly empathized with her- "oh, she's a big girl like me," lol, and then she liked smiley a lot better.

i peeked at the baby the first two days to make sure it was all right, and then i didnt look at it for almost a week, cause i wanted it left alone, so when i looked again i was like my god its a gorilla! it lunges forward if you move the hay by it thinking mama is near. my daughter saw smiley sit on it once, and i told her smiley will only feed it once a day so dont worry if you never see her pay attention to it. you can tell its being fed by how big and strong its getting.

smiley is such a good mom she pulled out her hair again to line the nest. she did that last year and i was horrified when i picked her up and her feet were bare skin, i thought she had mange. lol! she didnt pull out as much this time, just enough to line the nest. the baby is buried deep in a pile of straw, and if i pull it back to check the baby, smiley will bury it all over again with more straw as soon as im done. she grunts when i look but she doesnt try to attack me, so i limit the checking up. the best way to make her feel safe is to stay away from her baby, so we really havent got to see it too much. today i took a peek though and it was curled up sleeping and stretched out its little paws contentedly. it looks like a very happy healthy baby!

:angelandbunny:

Back