I found out what's wrong with me!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CorkysMom wrote:
Sounds like a very positive visit...it makes a huge difference when they don't look at you like you are nuts! Can't wait to see if this helps you!

I agree! Hope the new doc and the dietary changes help you...

Denise

When I was a kid (up until about 3 years ago), I was mildly lactose-intolerant. I could eat cheese, butter, etc., but if I drank milk or had ice cream, I would get terrible stomach cramps and such. I found that I preferred rice milk over soy milk (if there even is much of a difference). I didn't like the ones that said "SOY!" all over the front. I found that rice milk tasted fine in cereal (which was the only time I really used milk). I have no idea if rice milk has "milk" in it, but it didn't bother my stomach, so there was either just a little bit in it, or none at all.

:)

Like I said, Bunny-Diet for Jen! :) Dotty will be sooo jealous! ;)

Hello glad you are sorted or on your way that is great. My little boy was lactose intollerant as a baby and we gave him rice milk which i also think tastes nicer, he was aloud cheese too after a while as apparently something to do with the production of cheese or butter involves breaking down the lactose in a way and so is half processed so that your digestive system doesnt have to do it which is the prob with lactose intollerant or sensitive people. As you can see i cant remember the exact details but that is what we were told x

peppa and georgie wrote:
Hello glad you are sorted or on your way that is great. My little boy was lactose intollerant as a baby and we gave him rice milk which i also think tastes nicer, he was aloud cheese too after a while as apparently something to do with the production of cheese or butter involves breaking down the lactose in a way and so is half processed so that your digestive system doesnt have to do it which is the prob with lactose intollerant or sensitive people. As you can see i cant remember the exact details but that is what we were told x
I'm not sure about cheese or butter, but I know that the processing of yogurt removes some of the milk proteins, when the milk is heated. Also, if the yogurt contains live bacteria (L. acidiophilus, etc.), the bacteria actually help to break down the lactose for you. So people with lactose intolerance can often eat yogurt.
Not sure how this would affect someone whose headache trigger was dairy, though.

Isn't it good when someone hears you and validates what you're going through and actually offers help. I'm pleased for you.

RE the diet, over the last six months I have developed a load of intolerances to food, one of which is a lactose intolerance (funnily enough, another is acidy stuff like lemon and lime, and about 12 other different things from that). It's not that hard to adjust your diet, it just sounds daunting when you are faced with cutting out all those things.

As weird as it sounds, I found Gravy the hardest because it still has that little bit of lactose in most of them, so now we get Bisto gravy, which has none of that in.

Also, we use Oat Dream here as a cream substitute, and that's really nice :) Also they do like dairy free ice creams and all sorts, so there will be a lot os substitutes you can have.

It is a case of label reading. I'm lucky in that my brother is also lactose intolerant so my mum was already keyed up on it.

It will be worthwhile though. Especially if this is the start of the end of your problem.

Good luck!

Flashy wrote:
Also, we use Oat Dream here as a cream substitute, and that's really nice :) Also they do like dairy free ice creams and all sorts, so there will be a lot os substitutes you can have.
Oat dream? As a cream substitute? I'll have to look out for that, thanks! :D I was craving pasta in a creamy sauce earlier, and wondering if there was a sort of cream substitute!

I tried the soya yoghurt last night, it's actually not too bad! Doesn't taste all that different to regular plain yoghurt. I made a prawn curry because it was the easiest thing I could think of that didn't have any trigger foods in and used the yoghurt to cool it down a bit...

I didn't buy soya milk yet but I might do for things that I'd usually use more milk for. I'm not a big cereal fan or anything like that so I don't think it'll bother me too much. I already can't drink coffee so I won't miss that either- get terrible stomach pains from it!

I'm not sure if it's a lactose thing that means I have to cut out dairy, or not. I did read somewhere that 'fermented' dairy products can be trigger foods, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.... I might ask on the dizzy forum and see if anyone knows why I've got to cut out dairy but can still have milk!

I still think lemons and limes are going to be hardest for me. I really wanted some hummous on corn-crackery type things for lunch today, but then I remembered hummous has lemon juice in :cry1::cry1::cry1: How unfair! I'm looking for some recipes for it without lemon juice but I'm sure it'll taste pretty lame compared to the real thing.

I had a look for a cookbook with recipes without migraine 'triggers' in yesterday... But could only find ones that eliminated one trigger per recipe- so therefore it might not have dairy but would have citrus etc, so there would be no recipes I could have!

Doing some further reading, apparently it's one of the most common causes of vertigo. I don't know why it got misdiagnosed for so long if that's the case... :expressionless My doctor seemed to know almost immediately from my description of my symptoms what it was.... Even though I never have any headaches at all with the vertigo....

Wow, Sweetie...I'm so so happy to hear that you finally got a diagnosis!! YAY!!

Now, for the change in diet, and change that it brings in lifestyle!

I'm so happy for you, though...things can only go up from here! :)

:hug:

P.S. Sorry for such a delayed response...we were moving and only just got the internet back up today. :)

Wow! That's so amazing! These guys are always great!

Some doctors just don't deserve to be doctors. Any single one who doesn't believe people should have their license revoked!

Omigosh! Jen! You'll be able to walk down the aisle and not have to worry about vertigo!

Cutting out dairy due to it being a trigger food is different then lactose intolerance, unless you are sure its the lactose being the trigger.

There are many different things(ie proteins like casein which is also found in soy cheese) in milk that you can be allergic to, not just lactose. For triggers you need to remove all dairy for a time period, then slowly add small amounts back to test what actually is the trigger.

You can make hummus without adding the lemon juice. It wont' taste lemony but i've done it and it takes fine. IF you want a lemony flavor you can add some sumac(middle eastern spice) as that has a tangy lemony flavor and is sometimes used to top the hummus at restaurants.

What kind of foods do you like? I'll see if I have any dairy free recipes you might like.

For dairy/egg free recipes I found looking through vegan cookbooks helpful.

Also, once all of the triggers are out of your foods and you feel better, you could always try adding one type of "trigger" to your food and see if it affects you. If not, you could probably continue eating it (just make sure that's OK with your doctor first!)

Hey, have you considered using vinegar in the hummus? There are so many different kinds, maybe start with rice vinegar. I like the suggestion of sumac. Don't you guys call cilantro (the fresh green herb that bunnies and Shilohs love to eat) coriander? In the US, coriander is the dried, ground up root of the cilantro plant. It has a rather lemony flavor too, I always put it in hummus just because I looove it.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Hey, have you considered using vinegar in the hummus? There are so many different kinds, maybe start with rice vinegar. I like the suggestion of sumac. Don't you guys call cilantro (the fresh green herb that bunnies and Shilohs love to eat) coriander? In the US, coriander is the dried, ground up root of the cilantro plant. It has a rather lemony flavor too, I always put it in hummus just because I looove it.
That's a good idea Shiloh! I was actually thinking about making different kinds of hummous- roasted red pepper, coriander, etc. I'll have to hunt down some sumac- I've never seen it in the supermarkets but then I've never looked for it before!

We call cilantro, the fresh herb, coriander over here. We call the dried ground up root/seeds ground or dried coriander, and we also have coriander seeds, although I don't tend to use those because they require grinding, and I don't have a grinder!

Anyway, I was reading an article the other day, and it said that the ingredient in the dairy products that can be a trigger for migraines, is something that isn't lactose, but it occurs in the fermentation process. Apparently it's also found in citrus fruit etc as well. I think it's called tyramine, but I don't know if that's the reason behind cutting them out or not.

Bottom line, I don't really know why I have to cut out certain foods and not others, but I'm sure going to give it a good go if I have even a chance at getting better!

Thanks Rosie and Dave as well! He did say it will be a long struggle and I'll get worse before I get better, so sadly I probably wont be dizzy-free for my wedding day, but I'm hoping the adrenaline (and a glass of champagne in the morning lol) will help me get through that! Would be so nice if next year I could go and get myself a job, even something part-time would be amazing...

degrassi wrote:
What kind of foods do you like? I'll see if I have any dairy free recipes you might like.

For dairy/egg free recipes I found looking through vegan cookbooks helpful.
Most things! I like pasta sauces, most asian style foods, and marinated meat/fish mostly I guess...

I did find some alternavite-soya cream in the supermarket the other day. Doesn't taste of much, but I added a bit to our pasta sauce for tea this evening and it added the creamy sort of texture I needed... Very low in calories too! :)

I never thought of vegan cookbooks! That's a great idea, thanks :D

mouse_chalk wrote:

Thanks Rosie and Dave as well! He did say it will be a long struggle and I'll get worse before I get better, so sadly I probably wont be dizzy-free for my wedding day, but I'm hoping the adrenaline (and a glass of champagne in the morning lol) will help me get through that! Would be so nice if next year I could go and get myself a job, even something part-time would be amazing...

Oh, that's right! I'm so excited for you and your wedding coming up!! :D

Back