I feel terrible...nail problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrinasmommy88

Reaction score
Gracie somehow got her nail stuck in the wire on her hutch...she started screaming and thrashing around, I came running into the dining room from the laundry room and carefully got her unstuck. But the damage had been done. she broke her nail in half, but its still attached. It didnt completely break. I have stopped the bleeding but I dont know what to do with this hanging nail. Do I clip it off or let it fall off on its own? If I clip it off will i bleed more? Help!

taking the hanging bit off will cause pain and it might bleed, but so will leaving it on, every time it moves it will hurt. I guess it would really depend how bad it looks and how far half broken is. IMO if it was my own nail, I would bite the bullet and rip it off. But with buns, usually they break all the way, never dealt with a half broken one.

it broke just a little past the quick, it broke halfway across. So half of it is detached and half is still in place like a normal nail. I just dont know which route would be there better route to go

I have dealt with this before. But for me the nail was broken at the very base. Get a towel,some nail clippers,cornstarch and some neosporin WITHOUT pain reliever. The pain reliever is toxic!
Wrap Gracie in the towel with her paw exposed. Then clip that nail off. She might cry. Then cover the nail in cornstarch to help with the bleeding. Apply pressure with a cotton ball as needed. Put the neosporin on it...Then give her lots of snuggles...Hope this helps. :)

Thank you so much Katie!! I have literally made her sit in my lap since this happened. Didnt want to let her run around but didnt want to put her back in the hutch with the chance of her hurting the nail. The whole bottom of her hutch is wood and the sides are wire. Im guessing when I walked by her hutch to go to the laundry room she stood up and put her paws on the side and got stuck...Im going to go tackle this nail now!

Well, that went better than I expected. I think I cried more than she did. She let out a very small cry and I balled my eyes out. It bled but not as much as the first time. But the bleeding has stopped now. She is now cuddled in my neck

Reminds me of the one and only time my great grandma spanked me......I was 5 and she gave me two taps on the butt...This being after she said she would "tan my hide"...Well then she balled her eyes out and I comforted her....She wailed "I will never do that again" I was raised by grandparents and nobody ever spanked me :D

haha Katie. My mom was the same way.I think she spanked me twice my whole life. All of my babysitters knew they were not to even pop my hand. I was so bad at the sitters, she told my mom that she was going to at least have to tell me the sitter could spank me so I would listen....then i got smart one day and my mom gave me the choice of a spanking or be grounded for the day (she says she just wanted to give me choices in life), i chose the spanking because it would be quick and then I could go back outside...she grounded me just for saying I wanted the spanking, because she didnt want to do it :p Thank you for your help!

What an ordeal that must have been. I would have been hysterical trying to cut any of my animals broken nails! You did a good job and Katie gave you great advice!

Aww poor Gracie and yes you handled it so good!! I would have been a mess!!

Thanks everyone, and a special thank you to Katie. I was seriously scared to death to let her move a centimeter while I was waiting for help. I started to cry before I even clipped the nail because I knew it was going to hurt her. But I pulled myself together because I knew, after all was said and done, that it was better for her to have 5 seconds of initial pain, than rip the nail off or break a bone if it got stuck :) She is fine now, and has forgiven me. The nail isnt showing any signs of anymore bleeding :)

Back