I feel like this is a little too easy...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess_sully

Reaction score
Flynn came home five days ago. He was in a very small cage with 5 siblings, never introduced to a litterbox, or litter, or anything. At first, he had a small corner litterbox with a grate, and he peed right next to it. We got him a larger one, and he's consistently used it ever since- not one SINGLE pee accident outside of it, and he poos about 85-90% in there, too. The only other place he poos is when he's eating, so there are some poops a few inches from the food dish.
Even when he was out free in the living room today for over two hours, he consistently returned to his litterbox.
Is this just too easy? He turns eight weeks old tomorrow. I thought baby bunnies were supposed to be impossible to littertrain... and Sir Walter was already 8 months old when we got him and fully trained.
Do you think this will last? Will his good habits deteriorate when he hits puberty?

Maybe you are just really lucky! :biggrin2: Billy has pretty good litterbox habits too, except when he's outside his cage cause we are too lazy to get him an outside litterbox. He only changed when we brought Ronnie in and he started with the territorial poos. So my guess would be that Flynn's litterbox habits shouldn't change much (unless you wait a really long time to get him neutered and he starts spraying or something), OR if you bring in a second bunny that often causes a lot of marking behavior.

Well let's hope you're right!
All I did in the way of "training" was soak some paper towel in his pee and put that and some of his poops in the box... and scoot him out of a corner or two when I caught him lifting his butt. He did the rest.
I plan to get him neutered when he's about 16 weeks old, and unfortunately, I can't get another bunny until I lease a different house- which will be at LEAST a year, if not three.
He will have a kitty friend though, providing that they get along :)
If I remember correctly, your boys aren't bonded, are they?

Jess_sully wrote:
If I remember correctly, your boys aren't bonded, are they?

No, they aren't bonded cause Billy wants to bite Ronnie in the face all the time :shock:. I'm sure someone with a lot of patience and dedication could get them bonded, but I figure I'll leave well enough alone and just keep them separate because it's so much easier! :)

Babybunnies: I second that one. I used to volunteer at a rescue a lot, and somehow I always got "volunteered" to supervise the bunny dates where people with bachelor/bachelorette buns would bring them in to meet potential new buns. It was NOT my favorite thing in the world to do! I can't imagine how nervous I will be someday when I have to try bonding Flynn.
Are they in the same room? Or very far apart?

JadeIcing: Did his skills ever worsen?

Jess_sully wrote:
Are they in the same room? Or very far apart?

They are pretty much in the same room, separated by a double dose of plastic baby gates.

DSC03185.jpg

Both prefer to sit next to the gate to keep an eye on the other, but if one gate is removed Billy will try to bite Ronnie through the remaining gate.

Sometimes we let Ronnie into Billy's territory while blocking off Billy's cage. Ronnie likes to sit by Billy's cage and try to figure out ways to get beyond the barrier

DSC06793.jpg

Billy is becoming more tolerant, but will view Ronnie as a threat if he comes too close. We think Billy is aggressive out of fear and that he is trying to protect his space from the invading Ronnie. :duel

Nigel and Milo didn't pee outside their litter boxes at all when they first came to live with us. Now, Milo sprays a little - I'm thinking I'm gonna book him in to get neutered later this week! But in terms of regular peeing he's still a box-only boy.

Harvey, 10 weeks old, has yet to go pee outside his box also. Looks like you could have just got yourself a good boy!

Oh and Little Bay Poo - I see that bunny photo on the table. :p Looks like Ronnie - am I right?

We got Cinnabun at 8 weeks of age and he was perfectly trained too, just like Flynn. He came from a pet store bunny enclosure where there were no litter boxes or anything... At the time we had no idea that rabbits could be trained, so we were quite perplexed but happy that he was going in the same corner all the time!

We got Rory from the animal shelter when he was about 7 months old. In spite of having lived outside his whole life and being an unneutered male in the middle of his teen years, he also had perfect litter box habits!

My luck petered out with the next two though as Tallulah and Skyler aren't that great with the litter box yet. Both do now usually pee in the litter box, but will poop wherever they are AND they mark. Rory has been marking with poop and occasional pee since we brought a second rabbit home too :grumpy:

Well, we let Flynn out again today and STILL, not a single stray poo or even a drop of pee. It makes me quite happy :)
We're thinking about expanding his "turf" by taking the baby gate down that blocks away the kitchen and dining room and letting him roam in there too, once we thoroughly bunnycheck/proof it. I think we'll add another litterbox to the far end of the kitchen or the dining room and see how that goes.
Glad others had good luck too!

delusional wrote:
Oh and Little Bay Poo - I see that bunny photo on the table. :p Looks like Ronnie - am I right?

LOL yeah :). That's one I took a while ago and we got it developed at one of those nifty do it yourself kiosks at our local CVS. But it's nothing compared to the giant lolbunnies print we got above Ronnie's cage ;)

Latest posts

Back