I feel horrible!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dublinperky

Reaction score
I feel horrible because Merin and Nessa have sore hocks. I didn't want to admit it to you guys but it is getting bad now. I have clean their feet and put neosporin on it but it doesn't seem to get better... Please help me. I love my bunnies soooo much I don't want anything to happen to them.

Rub a little on the sore hocks. If you are not seeing improvement within a week, please post again for additional suggestions.

Pam

Wrapping is not done unless absolutely necessary because the rabbit often chews the wraps off.Improper wrappingcan also impede circulation and you could wake up in the morning to find your rabbit's feet swollen like huge balloons.

Pam

If your bunnies are in a wire bottom cage, make sure they have a resting place...off the wire.

Maybe if it doesn't improve, you can get a cage without wire floors?

p.s...just thinking you have wire floors because of your avatar. Sorry if you don't!

Yes I have wire floors and yes I have resting mats (they cover almost the whole cage) I am litter training them so I can cover the whole cage.

Sore hocks are actually pressure sores. Pressure on the hocks rubs off the fur, then the skin. In bad cases, bleeding sores will develop. These sores can go as deep as the bone, infecting the bone, tendons and muscles. Extreme cases lead to amputation and/or death.

So, sore hocks can be serious issues. However, I think you've caught these in the early stages. Do their feet look like this, more or less?

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/velvetlop/?action=view&current=SoreHock.jpg

Some rabbit breeds which are less furry, are prone to sore hocks, such as English Lops and Rex. Wire floors may cause it, but carpet can also cause it. Any hard/abrasive surface can be a culprit. Any rabbit can get them. It's not an absolute sign of neglect, at all. And, some rabbits will have them no matter what you do.

Keep their nails trimmed. Long nails can make them lean back on their hocks putting more pressure on them.

And, keep their weight down. Obesity can cause sore hocks.

Exercise! It keeps the weight down and helps the blood flow through the effected areas.

You can also try fake sheepskin (cheap at Wal-Mart in the dog dept). Pixel never liked it, and would rip it up.

You're doing fine. Just watch for abrasion on their feet. The big worry here is infection.

There nails are fine should I cut them anyway. They are not the shortest they could be. They are not fat andplay outside in a run everyday for excirse. Is there any kind of flooring that would be best. I don't want to make a completly different cage. I could cover the bottom with those stick on tile things or something.

pamnock wrote:
Rub a little (Bag Balm)on the sore hocks. If you are not seeing improvement within a week, please post again for additional suggestions.
This begs a question I've been meaning to ask: How do you keep a bunny from licking off the Bag Balm (or any salve that you might put on its hocks/body)?

My one girl is notorious for licking/biting/eating anything that's (technically) inedible. :? But being a Mini Rex with a shorter coat, she also has a more visible bare spot on her hocks, which I worry about getting inflamed sometime. (So far, so good.) But if I should ever need to apply something to her hocks, she'll definitely ingest it. Ack.

Jenk

Try the fake sheepskin. It's washable, although it will shrink some. By being "puffy" it allows for a more even distribution of weight, taking some of the pressure off the hocks. I put it down in Pixel's area using sticky-backed Velcro strips and gluing the opposing strip onto the underside of the sheepskin. She still managed to rip it up, but it took her several months to do it.

Sounds to me like you're doing everything exactly right. I don't cut Pixel's nails real short either. Afraid of clipping the quick.

Jenk, I don't think there is a way to keep them from licking the meds off their feet. We give Pixel a treat right after medicating her hocks in hopes of distracting her long enough for the skin to absorb some of the meds, and keep her from licking. But, she's licked off everythng from Silvadene to triple antibiotics.

Flick wrote:
Jenk, I don't think there is a way to keep them from licking the meds off their feet. We give Pixel a treat right after medicating her hocks in hopes of distracting her long enough for the skin to absorb some of the meds, and keep her from licking. But, she's licked off everythng from Silvadene to triple antibiotics.
:shock: Well, if she seems none the worse for wear, what else can ya' do? ;)

Okay. This is the first day I put the bag balm on their feet. I couldn't find it anywhere. Until I went to our feed store. The thing says to apply it twice a day. Is that oky for rabbits? The bunnies didn't try to lick it off but I had a hard time getting it on them. I had to put Nessa into a trance!:)

Latest posts

Back