I don't think its mites...but what is it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannah

Reaction score
I noticed last week that my rabbit was loosingsome hair on her nose. I figured she was justshedding. Today when I went out to feed/water my rabbits Inoticed that in some places there is a little hair missing.In those places the skin is a light pink. I don't see anysores. I don't think that it is anykind of mite(I just lookedat some sites on the web) I don't think it is fleaseither. She isn't really shedding either, I took my hand overher body, and didn't get any hair. Should I just wait and see if herhair starts to grow back? Thanks Hannah:dunno:

Keep an eye on her, she may be pulling it outherself. My friends rabbit had a phontom pregnancy and pulledher fur out to make a nest.

She may have rubbed off the fur by sticking hernose through the cage wire or rubbing it on the food dish.Fungal infections can also cause fur loss on the face, so watch for anyspreading of the fur loss.

Pam

I use foot fungal powder for people.Best bet would be to take the rabbit to the vet to test for a fungalinfection so proper treatment can be started. I would nottreat for a fungal infection without proper diagnosis.

Pam

The best thing to do would be to have it checkedby a vet to rule out a fungal infection, which could be communicable tohumans. Better safe than sorry!

Pam

Good news- as a precaution I replaced her waterbottle with a dish, and now her hair is growing back- I guess she wasrubbing her nose on the mettle part- Thanks for your help-Hannah

That's good news! I've had rabbits situp against the water bottles and suffer hair loss fromhavingthe fur continually wet. Something to watch forduring the hot, humid summer months as rabbits like to lay againsttheir dishes and may suffer fur loss and bacterial infections to thedewlap.

Pam

Latest posts

Back