I don't like my rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ponyta

Reaction score
I feel awful saying that, but I really, really, really dislike them. I love animals, I really do, but I think I would rather volunteer then keep them. They're expensive, they're nasty tempered, and Lily pees everywhere and eats everything, even if I have nothing out that she could eat, she finds something. If there's nothing but four walls and a floor, she eats that.

I absolutely adore rabbits. I hate pet stores, I gripe about nuts and seeds in rabbit feed, I think about them all the time. I would love to have an English Lop. Let me be clear: I would love to have ONE rabbit. ONE NEUTERED MALE RABBIT. That's what I wanted in the first place, but they needed a home.

Maybe you're supposed to love every animal you get, or else you're a terrible person. I don't even like them, not even a little bit. They just get meaner and meaner, and I want less contact with them, and that's not fair to either of us.

Their old family is a FB friend of mine. I sent them an e-mail asking if they wanted them back now that they're moving into a home that allows them to have their dogs.

They haven't responded. I don't know what to do. They feel like two fluffy burdens. I don't even feel like I can re-home them because their old family will be upset with me.

I guess I'm just a terrible monster for not wanting them.

Sorry you are feeling this way. I hope their old family responds back, if not then I think it's up to you to find them a new home. They deserve love and if you can't give that to them you can give them the gift of someone who can love them! Best of luck!!

As you stated in your Nutrition and Behaviour thread, Lily isn't spayed.

Is that still the case?

I find that it does a gal a world of good, especially in terms of reducing urine output, and increasing friendliness.

How much "out" time are they getting?
What bonding efforts have you tried?

I understand that you are frustrated right now - just trying to get a clearer vision of your situation :hug:

I once had a french lop rabbit that absolutely hated us...and it grew to the point where I disliked her also.

We had someone visiting and they fell in love with her - and she fell in love with them. The following weekend - the husband drove five hours (one way) to pick her up for his wife because she regretted not taking her.

For a few months I received updates every now and then. The rabbit was so happy - it was the right person and the right situation for them. No matter how good of a home I tried to give her...we just weren't the right match.

Sometimes it happens. If the people don't want their rabbits back - I suggest you find them another home. Sometimes certain rabbits and people just don't match up well.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
As you stated in your Nutrition and Behaviour thread, Lily isn't spayed.

Is that still the case?

I find that it does a gal a world of good, especially in terms of reducing urine output, and increasing friendliness.

How much "out" time are they getting?
What bonding efforts have you tried?

I understand that you are frustrated right now - just trying to get a clearer vision of your situation :hug:

They aren't getting a whole lot of out time, seeing as I have to put them back 45 minutes in when Lily starts aggressively eating the carpet. I've tried curbing this by giving her wood and cardboard, but she still has a preference for shag carpet, and I just can't tolerate that. It's not like I LIKE the carpet, I just don't get excited about the vet bills she's bound to incur.

She's still not spayed, and that's not likely to happen soon. I just quit school and the loan I was expecting to help pay for my new apartment (which I now have to miraculously save money for), and her spay has gone *poof!*

What I don't understand is how she did fine before she came to live here. When I visited them before I took them, they got along great. Now she rips his hair out viciously, and he doesn't seem to give a crap about it. Even my pet sitters avoid her and lock their kitten up when she's over so she doesn't kill it.

I get that I'm stressed, but these to are handfuls.

It's not like they aren't social with me either, although I dislike the biting. Jack likes to stand on his back legs and look up at me, and Lily loves it when I give her cheek and nose rubs. It's not hard to get a purr out of her.

I hate to say "Oh,this rabbit is just mean!" because that probably isn't true. Maybe it's not being spayed, maybe it's not enough time out, maybe they simply don't like living here and want their old family back. My patience is running thin though, and I honestly don't think I want pets.

I just don't know how to tell them it's not working out.

Anyone would get upset if they were being bitten all the time.

If you really really don't feel like you want them, then I would send the old owners a message saying that you have to rehome them. That way they have the chance to take them back or find a home themselves if they want. If you would be happier rehoming them, then that's really for the best.

Rabbits are not rightfor everyone, not everyone is right for rabbits. We say it often, and this may be an example of that. Unfortunately, spaying and neutering are very important in terms of behavior (as well as health) and until that happens, she is likely to continue peeing and pooping everywhere. Even if you did have a single neutered boy, it doesn't mean that everything would run smoothly. It's possible you just don't have that connection, nor they with you. I don't know if you are really decided on rehoming them or just feeling very stressed and frustrated now...

Maybe there are ways we could help you reduce the costs and tips to make them happier and less bored so they don't act out so much. It all depends on what you are willing to try and do.

If you are really decided, then you should start contacting shelters or place ads yourself. Placing ads yourself has the advantage of you picking out the home yourself but it may take more time. I'm sure that you will look for a goodandsafe placefor them if you do decide to rehome. The one thing I would advise against is rehoming them and then getting a single neutered male in the hopes that it would be better. Before that, I think you should really re-evaluate and really ask yourself if you are right for rabbits and if they are right for you.

Let us know if we can help you in any way if you want to give it one last shot. Either way, let us know and we will support you in finding them a good home.

Kinda why I like mine being outside. Everyone still gets attention.... but my house isn't destroyed. Try keeping them apart. If she is away from the buck and has an area that is HERS and hers alone she may mellow out.

Honestly rabbits arn't expensive to feed. Buy a 25 pound bag of feed from the a local feed store. Lots cheaper then the stuff they sell in a petstore and honestly a rabbit will do fine on just pelletts. Carrotts are on sale all the time at Krogars. Use them as treats not as actual diet.

Just try seperating them and giving attention just to the doe. Try brushing her and holding her. That gives her time out of the cage, but its also bonding time. If she's destroying things IMO she doesn't deserve to be on the floor anyway. Find what cornor she uses the bathroom in the most and try putting a litter box there. The more frustraited you get the worse the situation will be.

I'll try bonding with her seperate from Jack.

Feeding them hasn't been the issue. I get a bale of hay for around $4 from a stable, $10 for a bag of pellets and $9 for 25lbs of litter. That isn't the issue. When I get my state return I can probably get her spayed.

She's just frustrating me so bad right now.

And this isn't the first time I've had rabbits. I knew what to expect, and I really enjoyed my last two and miss them a lot. These two just don't have the personalities I was looking for.

i personally like the advise Ciara gave you. Tell the old owner you need to rehome them. If they cared one way or another they will let you know and take measures. then find them new suitable owners if they don't take them back. they shouldn't be mad at you because they rehommed them for their particular reason so why should it be wrong for you. just like a personality conflict. People have them why shouldn't animals...

I can actually understand you, because when I first got rabbits, I found I had no idea how to bond with them. Usually I love animals, and have had no problem bonding with them, but I was just getting nowhere with them. It was really hard, because I hate animals to feel unloved(and they can sense things like that) and I felt really guilty, like I think you do.

But after one sadly died young, and I no longer have to juggle two unbonded bunnies, it's a lot easier. I still feel horrid about it, because I did love Willoughby, but there was just no 'connection' between us. Now that I have more time for Reuben, and he doesn't have Willough's scent to upset him, he's a lot calmer, and there is a connection between us. We still have our moments, and we aren't that close yet, but it's there. Maybe if Jack and Lily aren't getting on that well, you could try rehoming Lily? So someone who can afford it can spay her. And you will have more time for Jack. Ofc, that may not be a good idea if they do get on. You could try spending more one-on-one time with Lily, but I don't think it'll work until she's spayed.

tbh, (and I don't want you to take this the wrong way) it sounds like you got them expecting a certain personality, and then discovered rabbits are not all the same. Once you get a 'blockage' in your mind, it can be very hard to break that, and I think you probably have one about Lily(or maybe both). If you really want this to work, you will find a way, but if you really don't want them, it may be best to find another home. If your finances are bad, it may be best if you don't have pets at this stage. If you do rehome, I agree with Nela, don't go and try adopt an English Lop.

As for chewing everything, ie carpet: try putting newspaper down where she is tearing up the carpet, and let her tear up the newspaper. Also give her freshly squeezed pineapple juice everytime she tears up/eats the carpet, and give lots of hay. Spend as much time with her as you can. I put newspaper in the rabbit area for Sweetie to tear up, she hasn't grasped the concept yet, because she was always tearing up/chewing the carpet in my apartment. Everytime Sweetie would chew the carpet I gave her pineapple juice so that she would not get the carpet that she ate stuck in her GI tract.

maybe get a smaller area (I'm thinking an xpen) and give it a wood floor. When you put her back in her cage fold up the xpen and slide the wood under the bed, couch table or lean it up against a wall. It would save your carpet. Let them out at different times while you are getting their food ready.

I do find it offensive to say that I expected their personalities to be all the same, even if you didn't mean it to sound that way. I've had three rabbits in the past, all different breeds. Again, I'm not new to having them. I've socialized with rabbits in rescues and with my friends rabbits. Just because I'm having difficulties with Lily doesn't mean I'm not capable of having a successful bond with a rabbit based on that. They have different personalities, obviously. I don't have like or love them all, just like I don't like or love all people. I've had the same issues with dogs before, that doesn't rule me out as a dog person.

That being said, and shaking off the irritation, I will try and contact their old family AGAIN, and if they don't respond I'll begin the adoption process. If I choose to adopt another rabbit in the future, that's my choice. I am not so financially strapped that I can't afford to feed and house them. At this moment, with unexpected financial problems, I can't afford a $100 spay. I'm sure plenty of people have been in this situation. That hardly makes me incapable. They are well fed, I've gone through pains to build them a large enough cage that they can run from one end to the other, and yes, they have toys and mental stimulation. They are in no way suffering simply because I dislike her.

So, I apologize for being agitated, perhaps none of you meant it that way, but it's difficult admitting you don't like your pet.

I appreciate where you are coming from...

I think folks are trying to be helpful; no one truly knows your situation, and the members above appear are giving the best advice that they have, from their own experiences.

Thank you for clarifying your situation.

There is quite a number of good suggestions in the paragraphs above for improving Lily's temperament. Which of those do you think you might consider trying?

I went ahead and sent a message to their old family to see how they wanted to handle things, and I offered to include them in the re-homing process.

Honestly, I'm so exasperated right now, and I don't know that I have the energy or patience. Which is a shame. I spent a long time trying to find suitable rabbits to adopt, even going through two botched adoption processes, until months later I wound up with them.

if her behavior problems were solved would you like her again or has it just been too much to get over? Just asking not judging. I know when I've had buns with problem behavior they were less than my favorites till I was able to bypass or fix their behavior but then I grew to love them some more than others over time

Allie, I think you are very brave to admit there is an issue. You are obviously a very caring person that loves animals or you would have just neglected them rather than trying to figure out what is best. I don't have any better suggestions, just wanted to encourage you not to be too hard on yourself. It's a huge step to be that honest. Best of luck.

I have a female, spayed but very bossy. I give her paperbags, phone books, and large towels or blankets which seems to cut down on digging outside of her room. She also loves tearing up the carpet in her room. I just constanly pick up the new piles so she isn't eating it and now she has plush animals where she likes to dig and seems to help somewhat but not completely. I have given up on the carpet in her room but monitor it closely so I feel your anger on that issue.

I also have another female who wasn't very friendly until I found her favorite treat and it sure has changed her views on me quite a bit. She perks up and tries to fet to me now which is not usualy and she is older around 9 years okld but spayed. Maybe that may help your girl some.

Latest posts

Back