I don't know what to do....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dozed

Reaction score
This post is directed towards Gypsy... but all advice is welcome.

I made a post not too long ago indicating that my bunny (Shayze), whois ALBINO (i think this has a factor in it) may not be able to see verywell. I believe Gypsy said she had a blind bunny? Idefinately need some advice.

Everytime something touches him in the cage he freaks out like hedidn't know it was there. I absolutely have not been able tohold, pet, or even touch Shayze since I got him back inAugust.

Tonight I let him out of the cage and he went in my walk-incloset. I followed him and shut the door thinking it might beeasier to spend time with him in there. No way... I waswrong. He ended up scratching me all up just for touchinghim. :mad:

I absolutely do NOT want to get rid of him at all, but he is VERY hardto take care of. There is another male bunny in the cage withhim (Clo) and they get along great. But its nearly impossibleto get Clo use to us when Shayze is so crazy!:scared:

I appologize for the long post.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
~Mandy

hi mandy, its wonderful tohear how you really want to do your best for you blind bunny,its a tough job, but well worth it.

we had a blind bunny. he would run into walls, us,furniture ect. he was terrified at first to betouched. the previous owner had asked us to take him andrehome him as she didnt want to care for him properly. he was a bigbunny, weighing around 11lbs but kept in such a tiny cage he couldbarely turn around.

we got him home gave him a bigger cage, with litter box whichhe was not used to. he would flip out when touched or evenheard a noise. i sat for weeks on end by his cage justtalking to him and getting him used to my voice. after thefirst week, i would put my hand in his cage and let him smellme. but never tried to touch him. that would oftotally messed up the whole bonding session as i know he would ofthought i was trying to get him. after week one, we placed ina small cow bell as i call it LOL hung it to hisdoor. when i would approach his cage, i would first ring thatbell so he knew i was there, if he attempted to come to thedoor i gave him a fav treat of apple or cereal. we did thismany time daily for about 2 weeks straight. he finally got towhere, he would hear the bell and run to the door. where hewould always get a treat and a short pet on the head. then islowly would work on picking him up. never over him , butalways from under him. I would place my hand under his bellyand lift up, bringing him out to me with his head tucked under my armand supporting his back end . another tip, we neverchanged his cage around!!! bowls, water bottle, litter boxtoys all in the same area.

it may take a long time for him to trust you, but once he doesits the most wonderful thing ever!!! hope this advice helpsyou out!!

sorry so long :bunnydance:

Please don't appologize for long posts, I needall the advice I can get! Shayze has always been veryskittish. I'm not exactly sure if its a sight problem, butthe more I observe the situation, it persuades me to think that hecan't see as well as our first bunny.

You are correct when you say I want to do the best I can for mybunny... I really don't want to get rid of him atall. I'm just out of suggestions on what to do.It's very hard to spend time with a bunny that will scratch you topieces and always seems to hate you no matter what.

Thank you so much for your post!

Any other avice would also be helpful.
~Mandy:heart:

Hi Mandy

I think the advice that Brimmhere has given is good advice even if thebunny isn't blind or sight-defincient - it's all advice to take thingsone step at a time, to get your bunny familiar with things (noises andhis 'stuff') and ultimately to learn to trust you at a very slowpace. Even if your bun doesn't turn out to be blind you woulddo well to work through the steps suggested by Brimmhere - Slowly andsurely is the best way to get any bun to trust you and see you as afriend.

Thanks for the replies, I'll see what all I can do. I love them all (3) sooo much.

Thanks again!
~Mandy:heart:

Latest posts

Back