I don't know what to do...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcohen1982

Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal..I bought a Castor Doe that was expecting her first litter. Was told she was due on the 5th. I put a nest box in on day 29 and she used it as a litter box everytime I changed it. So, on day 33 I removed it. Well, on the 9th (yesterday) I had a doe that I knew was going to kindle (and she did) Well the same day this doe (Kelilah) started making a nest in the corner but not pulling fur. So to ammuse her and I (and just in case) I put the nest box in. Well, she took everything out of the box and was placing in the same corner as before. So I moved the nestbox to that corner. She started building her nest. Since the other doe was nearby I thought maybe she was getting confused with the hormones or something. Several hours later she started pulling fur, but not much at all. I thought this was just a false alarm. The other doe kindled and about 15-30 minutes after that Kelilah stayed in the box and was literally burying her nose in the nest, making it almost like a cave shape. Thought nothing of it since she didn't kindle. I checked on the other does kits and looked in Kelilahs box as well and didn't see any movment so decided to go to bed. This orning everything was good. Kelilah wasn't in the box, so this afternoon I decided to take the box out. After looking in the box (thank goodness I did) I found 1 tiny castor buck. He was warm, but not as warm as he should have been. and it didn't look like he has a full belly (maybe he does though) The was chopping his lips as if to look for food though. I moved him to the other does nest since it was a much fuller nest and had 4 kits in it to keep him warm. I grew concerned, knowing that the other doe fed her litter not too long ago and they all had very full bellies. So I took Kelilah and flipped her over so he could feed. I don't think her milk has come in though because he would latch on for a second and then go off. I tried several times in several locations to no avail. So, I got the other doe and flipped her over and after trying several times it seems like he drank about 5 drops. I don't know if I should worry or not. He is smaller than the others. Please tell me what you think, and what I should do. Thank you.

The broken black is from the other does litter and all her kits are this size. The smaller one is Kelilahs kit
P1040095.jpg

P1040090.jpg

P1040088.jpg

Thank you again. Everyones help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Rachel

Did Kelilah just have the one kit, or does she have more and how many?

If it is just the one kit, I would keep an eye on the other doe to see when she feeds her kits and place the smaller kit with her when she is feeding her kits that way this kit can get some food.

Sweetie wrote:
Did Kelilah just have the one kit, or does she have more and how many?

If it is just the one kit, I would keep an eye on the other doe to see when she feeds her kits and place the smaller kit with her when she is feeding her kits that way this kit can get some food.

She only had one, it is her first litter. I placed him in with the other kits so he could stay warm and the doe is feeding her kits and they have nice round bellies. For now that is where he is, unless someone thinks otherwise.

Rachel

The small kit is a peanut. These come around in dwarf breeds when a baby receives a double dwarfing gene. It is fatal and there isn't anything you can do to save them, but it's best to put them in a warm nest with other babies to keep them comfortable.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
The small kit is a peanut. These come around in dwarf breeds when a baby receives a double dwarfing gene. It is fatal and there isn't anything you can do to save them, but it's best to put them in a warm nest with other babies to keep them comfortable.

Mini Rex wouldn't be considered a dwarf breed, would it?

Rachel

I do believe that at least some lines, if not all, of mini rex are dwarfed. I recall Emily talking about peanuts quite a few times.

Rachel, my advice to you is to humanely euthanize it. I let one peanut grow because I wasn't sure if that's what it was or not (I have never had one before), and it was just about the saddest thing I've witnessed in rabbits at day 7. I'm not a very emotional person when it comes to losing babies, but I felt horrible about it.

Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:
I do believe that at least some lines, if not all, of mini rex are dwarfed. I recall Emily talking about peanuts quite a few times.

Rachel, my advice to you is to humanely euthanize it. I let one peanut grow because I wasn't sure if that's what it was or not (I have never had one before), and it was just about the saddest thing I've witnessed in rabbits at day 7. I'm not a very emotional person when it comes to losing babies, but I felt horrible about it.

Ok, I have another question. Let's say he is a peanut. If I breed the doe back to the buck will I have the same results?

Rachel

Ok, so there is still some hope. :) She is beautiful and I know she would make a great mom. Is that why she may not be feeding him?

Thanks!

Rachel

I just want to point out that there could be a reason her milk isn't in yet (sometimes it does take 24 hours or so).

But she could have some kits still inside and she could have more tonight or tomorrow. I've had does give birth to four kits one day and another kit 24 hours later.

There could be other reasons her milk hasn't come in - complications like a retained placenta, etc.

My point is - even though you've fostered the kit - you need to keep an eye on her to see if her milk comes in. If she retained a kit or placentas she could wind up getting an infection and dying. (I've had that happen to me).

Peanuts struggle to suckle from what I have seen with my nethie litters. My first thought was peanut when I saw it as well the eyes give it away.

Update: The peanut didn't make it. He dies yesterday morning. Barely 72 hours old. I knew it was going to happen, but it doesn't make it easier. But, he isn't suffering anymore so, it is for the best. Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice!

Rachel

How is the mama doing? I guess since it turned out to be a Peanut she's probably alright and it wasn't anything wrong with her, yeah?
But that's sooo sad :( <3

I'm sorry that you lost one of your little ones. My rabbit had her 1st litter of kits 1 week ago today, and on Wednesday 2 of them died. They seemed really healthy and big and both had full tummy's but I think as mum is only 8 months old and it was her 1st litter she couldn't cope with 5 babies. I have to agree with you although you may have only had them for a few days it's very hard to lose them.

I hope the mum is well and happy x

Back