I don't know what to do...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
As some of you know, I got Miss Emma on New Year's Eve this past December. Since then, Toby has been disgusting with his poop/pee habits. He pees on our bed and carpet, and she has been pooping everywhere near the litter box, but not in it. I see them semi-snuggled up next to each other, but I don't think they are bonded that much. Toby still comes to me for head scratchies and I get more bunny-kisses in return than she does. Plus, she fights with him over craisins.

What should I do? My options are to separate them, rehome her, or just deal with it.

We are trying to figure out a way to have a run attached to their cage 24/7 but I feel terrible. Toby used to have free-run all over my room. Now, he's confined in a little pen that is about 1/10 of the size of the room (if that!).

I'm conflicted with this. I feel so bad for Toby and he's my heart-bunny. It is breaking my heart to see him miserable in that pen. Miss Emma won't let us pet her and she's socially-retarded by bunny-standards, I think. I just feel like a rat. I never wanted to give up an animal due to behavior, but I just don't know what to do...

:cry1:

I think the poo habits will work themselves out soon. It takes mine around three months to adjust to new bunnies.

And the free run is a trade-off to the companionship. I think they're probably equal in terms of 'perks'.

However, if you really don't like Emma much, I don't think you should feel obligated to keep her, although I think a trade-in, not a return, would be the right thing to do -- providing Toby likes the newbie better.

Always good to foster before adopting.

But also good to give them time to adjust and warm up to their new situations.

sas :bunnydance:

The problems are just getting worse, though. According to her old owner (I got her from Craigslist, not a shelter) she never had accidents. She never had accidents until recently. They don't seem too bonded to each other. Toby grooms her, but she rarely returns the favor. He comes begging to me for head scratchies. She chases him (not in a friendly way) for craisins. He has had a few bite marks on his bum since she came around. Luckily, they were all tiny. I never noticed them until the mini-scabs came off.

I was thinking of doing a trial separation and see how they do and if they are devastated by it. I would put them back together immediately if I noticed either of them getting depressed...

Aww! I really hope you can solve this all out. I know how you feel. When Marley's behavior was crazy from hormones she was driving me crazy! I didn't know what to do! I have scars from her scratching at me. Luckily though she's calming down now a LOT with her aging.

Dolla and Domino's relationship can be bittersweet sometimes. Usually the bitter part is at feeding time. Dolla will mount Domino (in dominance I believe) and chase her away and try to get it before her. But as soon as they are eating, they are fine. They snuggle together, eat hay together, beg together, and overall they seem happy together. They just have their moments!

I don't know..... Bo and Tony are still horrible and not even in the same place at the same time. Bo was great until we got Clover and Tony.

It took me over a year to bond Pebbles and Bebe. They would fight like cats and dogs trying to kill each other. They would mark, chin, poop and pee everywhere. Now they have actually bonded. They have learned to share things. Bebe would take turnsgrooming Pebbles, and Pebbles would return the favor. There is no more fighting and not even a nip. However I still can't control the litter problem as they still poop and pee outside the litter box.

Two of our does, Nibbles and Skippery, adore being in adjoining cages. They groom each other through the wire, and if one is laying next to the wire, the other always comes and snuggles up too. But they fight, bite, scratch, and generally make each other miserable if they are in the same cage. I can't explain it, except to say that maybe companionship is lovely, but too much togetherness stinks!! Is it possible for you to set up adjoining areas for them, where they can see each other, interact, and snuggle, but not beat the tar out of one another? It might be worth a try.

That's how Clover and Bo are! They will play, eat together, and all that outside of the cage - and if they can't get to either cage...... but the minute they are in a cage together it's war!

wabbitmom12 wrote:
Is it possible for you to set up adjoining areas for them, where they can see each other, interact, and snuggle, but not beat the tar out of one another? It might be worth a try.
They are OK together while in their cage/pen area. Once they are allowed free-run of the bedroom, things are still OK. It is once treats are offered when they are in the free-run status when problems arise. They are getting better about it.

The main problem that I can see is the urine. They pee all over by the hamster cages. Is it possible that they are trying to mark over the scent of the ham-hams? It is the only area of the carpeting that gets "hit" the most. The hamster cages are sitting on/in a open-shelved TV stand that is made to sit in the corner.

Here is what the corner set-up of the ham-hams and litter pan looks like. The triangular thing is the corner TV stand and is situated in a corner of the bedroom. The horizontal and vertical dashed lines are the walls that meet into a corner. The asterisks/stars show the front of the TV stand. The hamster cages (2) are sitting on shelves inside the TV stand (there are no doors or anything blocking the hamsters' cages from the room). The red X is where their litter pan is. Imagine poo and pee stains all over in front of the asterisks.

Bird's-Eye-View of the Corner.
_ _ _ _ _
X * |
* | (Crappy diagram by ME!)
* |
*|
|

I don't get it! I bought a big kitty litter pan that has a lip all the way around it to prevent poo being kicked out. I know they are pooping there, because the litter box keeps everything in pretty well. Plus, it would be very hard for them to fling poop out of the box and into perfect piles (unless I have OCD bunnehs). For the record, I changed Toby away from pine shavings. He has had Yesterday's News litter since December. :)

There's some more information for you all to mull over while I am at work cleanin' up the Peeps (the residents at the daycare). Yes, I refer to them as my Peeps. :coolness:

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions and patience! It is greatly appreciated!

I'm sorry to hear that Toby and Emma aren't bonding too well. I really don't have any suggestions but just wanted to let you know I'm crossing my fingers that things will get better.

Back