I dont know what to do...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not having any problems with petey and his medicine thank goodness.. hes been taking it without much of a struggle.. i also had to syringe some water into him today..he's seems to have stopped drinking on his own now:(

:DGood job - the syringing takes some work. I still have a really hard time with Misty and she is on meds twice a day for 3 weeks! Don't worry about stressing Maisie out - she'll fight and act like you're killing her, but then once you give her a treat or two, she'll forget all about it. It's for her own good you have to be stern! You're the top bunny!!

_________
Nadia

Okay, with much trial and error (on behalf of both Maisie and myself), she and I figured out how to do her syringing with the least amount of stress.

Here's what I did:

I first picked her up (which she didn't struggle with, by the way...she seemed to still like being held...which I found interesting) and held her for a bit, singing "Little Bunny Fu-fu" to her (her fav), and rocking back and forth on my feet a bit. She really enjoyed this, as she really relaxed and was nice and calm while I was doing it (even during the phone ringing, as it started RIGHT when I picked her up once).

After I was sure she was nice and calm, I let her know we were about to start, and put her down gently. I tried the bunny burrito, but she REALLY hated it, and it actually served to panic her a bit, so I wasn't able to do that. (Lol...picky girl!) I would up holding her so that her hind half was laying down (like they do when they're laying their legs sideways, all relaxed), and I had my right hand under her armpits, holding her up a bit. Then I used my left hand to do the syringing.

This technique worked out great for both of us, as she was comfortable like that, and it was relatively easy to hold her that way. She really seemed to prefer it, as she was quite calm and didn't fight much AT ALL taking the meds. :)

Anyway, thought I'd share, and bring a new idea to the table. Maisie seems to be a bit unique in quite a few things, and this just added to the list. :)

I love my sweet Maisie...and am SO happy things worked out. :)

Thank you so much! Glad we found a procedure of doing it that worked for us! All the trial and error did end up in one of my arms getting a bit shredded, though. I would have worn a long-sleeved shirt, if it weren't for the heat!! Lol...

good job with the syringe! petey HATES the syringe now..he wont take anything from it...so i have to wipe his med on his paw now:disgust:

I'm quite sure eventually Maisie will wisen up, too, and I will have to do the same. Lol...as it was, she consistantly has a few drops to clean off her chest...but she gets most of it. I'm so proud of my Maisie...she's taken all this so well. What troopers our babies are!!

:bunnydance::bunnydance:

peapoo_bunny wrote:
good job with the syringe! petey HATES the syringe now..he wont take anything from it...so i have to wipe his med on his paw now:disgust:

petey doesnt mind the burrito...but when hes in it and im trying to give meds it doesnt work..he sticks his head down in the towel so i cant get to his mouth:?

Can you get someone to help with Petey? I know exactly what you mean about putting his head down. When I have to do this to one of my buns alone I get sort of a dtermined attitude where I am determined and aggressive yet gentle with the bun. Sometimes I have to re-wrap the towel several times as they squirm out. This ishow I do it alone. I get on the floor sitting on my lower legs. Then I wrap the bun (usually I have to make it fairly tight)..then I place him between my legs and tighten my thighs against the towel wrapped bun so I am holding him tight with my thighs...then my hands are free to get his head out of the towel and stick the syringe usually in the very side of his mouth behind his teeth and squirt only small amounts so he can swallow. Never turn then upside down. The bun will start to resist so I tighten my thighs tighter..this is not easy but I get the meds in.

Back