I don’t know what to do 😬

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaydene

Reaction score
Basically, One day I was holding my rabbit and found that he had a cut on his foot and no hair around it. I’m not sure what to do as this has never happened and I don’t know how he has got it, Do I put a plaster on him? I don’t know?! PLEASE HELP 😫 That’s the best photo I could get as he kept moving image.jpgm

What breed is he? It looks like sore hocks. My rex rabbit has them. I can’t see the picture all too well. Does it look like this (see picture)?

Attachments

• EF5C93EE-3034-4505-89B0-EEF396B6C4DB.jpeg
    EF5C93EE-3034-4505-89B0-EEF396B6C4DB.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 14
I don't think it is sore hocks because it is on the side of the foot, not the hock. I would put Neosporin on it and wrap it in gauze, and then wrap it in Vetwrap. It should heal quickly. Make sure you don't wrap the foot to tightly and block off the blood flow, but you want to make sure that he can't pull it off.

What breed is he? It looks like sore hocks. My rex rabbit has them. I can’t see the picture all too well. Does it look like this (see picture)?
No it doesn’t look like that x Also I’m not quite sure what breed hi is,I just know he’s a dwarf rabbit 🤷🏻‍♀️

Do not wrap the foot, unless you have experience doing this and/or your vet has shown you how to do this. You can do more harm than good if you do this incorrectly by wrapping too tightly and restricting blood circulation.

If your rabbit is losing fur on the foot in an unusual area(not the hock) there is likely something going on there that it would be best for a rabbit vet to determine the cause of. Your rabbit could have something else causing the fur loss, like a fungal infection.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Do not wrap the foot, unless you have experience doing this and/or your vet has shown you how to do this. You can do more harm than good if you do this incorrectly by wrapping too tightly and restricting blood circulation.

If your rabbit is losing fur on the foot in an unusual area(not the hock) there is likely something going on there that it would be best for a rabbit vet to determine the cause of. Your rabbit could have something else causing the fur loss, like a fungal infection.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
But my vets are closed?!

Does it look like he may have caught it on something that ripped the fur out and cause a cut?

If the wound isn't getting infected and it's not rubbing on the floor or anything and getting worse(redder, inflamed), then I would just continue to monitor it closely for healing, and that a lump doesn't form (abscess) and infection doesn't set in.

You could always phone your vet to just see what their advice would be. Maybe they'll advise you to put rriple antibiotic ointment on it and wrap it. Though if you do decide to wrap it, it's extremely important that it not be overly tight, especially around the ankle joint, and that good blood circulation is checked several times a day.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sorehocks.html

Basically, One day I was holding my rabbit and found that he had a cut on his foot and no hair around it. I’m not sure what to do as this has never happened and I don’t know how he has got it, Do I put a plaster on him? I don’t know?! PLEASE HELP 😫 That’s the best photo I could get as he kept moving View attachment 46498m
Here is a better picture
It depends on what vet you use. Do you have pet insurance?
no I don’t x

I would put antibiotic ointment on it and then wrap it loosely in gauze. Put some leftover fur on some Vetwrap and then wrap the Vetwrap around the leg. Make sure it is not too tight because you do not want to cut the circulation off. I would change bandages at 3-4 times a day to allow it to breathe and to let you change the dressing. Here is how to wrap the foot: Rabbits and sore hock, pt. 2 - how to wrap a rabbit's leg | Small Pet Select Blogs | Small Pet Select. It doesn't say anything about gauze but you don't want the fur sticking to the wound. You could put baby/toddler socks over the bandage to prevent your rabbit from chewing.

I’m not all too sure if this idea will work but I was thinking putting baby or toddler socks could work to stop it from getting infected? Maybe using an antibiotic ointment first?
@JBun @Mariam+Theo
I’ve read up on it and it also said something like that, I will try it out in the morning. The thing is, My rabbits fine it’s not affecting him I just don’t want it to get infected etc you know?

Latest posts

Back