I cut Papaya's skin :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariah

Reaction score
Papaya is a fuzzy lop, so he's constantly matted. He was shaved about 2 weeks ago, but still has hair, & needs to be brushed. So, I was doing my weekly groom, & noticed he had poo stuck to his tail & "private" area. I am always so so so careful. Well tonight, I cut him. I feel TERRiBlE. I gave a dose of metacam as he is eating & drinking. Vet tomorrow at 8am if I feel like his wound isn't looking good.

I've attached a pic. What do you guys think?

Any advise/suggestions would be great.

Signed: bad bunny mum :( :( :(

image.jpg

That's what terrifies me about using scissors on my buns fur. Maybe put a tiny bit of Neosporin on it.

Is he still having his cecal problems?

Your not a bad mommy, you were just trying to help. I use the kids foam Neosporin because it's easier to get on them and dissolves quickly. I would go to the vet anyway just to get it checked out. It can't hurt you know.. but don't beat yourself up. Your not some evil bunny torturer.. your were just trying to groom...

Let us know what happens tomorrow at the vet's ok?
And try to relax a little bit too!

Vanessa

That's what terrifies me about using scissors on my buns fur. Maybe put a tiny bit of Neosporin on it.

Is he still having his cecal problems?

Jenny, the cecals are off & on. That's what was matted in his fur, from last week. Because he was having an "off" week, I didn't want to stress him by picking him up to brush him, which is why there's so much poo there. That area never looks like that. I guess he's good & cleaning himself down there.

Is a vet visit definitely needed? Obviously, if the wound is bigger/looks worse, I'll take him to the vet for sure. But I'm wondering, if it looks ok, does he really need to go? I called my vet at home (ha, I'm sure she loved my 9pm panic call). She says she will glue the skin back tomorrow.

He's currently (I'm watching him like a hawk), acting normal, eating his hay & pellets. I gave him some extra pellets as a treat, right after the wound happened. He's drank, & he's groomed himself.

Your not a bad mommy, you were just trying to help. I use the kids foam Neosporin because it's easier to get on them and dissolves quickly. I would go to the vet anyway just to get it checked out. It can't hurt you know.. but don't beat yourself up. Your not some evil bunny torturer.. your were just trying to groom...

Let us know what happens tomorrow at the vet's ok?
And try to relax a little bit too!

Vanessa

Vanessa, my night was going so well, until that happened. I now have a raging headache. Maybe I should give myself a dose of Papayas metacam...

And of course I'll keep you guys updated once I assess the situation in the morning.

My only concern would be with the messy bottom currently that it might get infected. But if the vet is going to glue it together it should be completely fine :)

I know how bad it makes you feel, I cut into the quick of one of Bandit's nails once and there was blood everywhere!! I felt so awful and I was being so careful too. So don't worry, you're not a bad bunny mum :p

So it actually healed overnight. The wound is closed, but it is swollen. So I will be taking him later on today. At least it's not an emergency. He was running around this morning & eating.

And thanks for saying I'm not a bad bunny mum. I still feel terrible that this happened.

Yes, you're not. It's easy to make mistakes with our little buns. I've made quite a few myself and continue to do so. I hate the feeling as well. It's pretty unavoidable to not make a mistake on occasion. We try our best, but these things happen. I wish I was perfect at this too, but just not possible. And it's just a small injury that he can easily heal from.

For his cecal problem, if he eats his hay really well, all I can think is that the pellets are causing the problem. I guess the type of hay is a slim possibility, but I would think pellets more likely.

I'm no help here other than praying that Papaya is okay. Oh, & you definitely aren't a bad bunny mom! We have all made mistakes trying to give our pets the best care we can. Thank you for your post & everyone's replies, while I know you & Papaya feel bad about the incident, it helps others like me learn. I just wanted to say thank you all for your advice to Papaya's mom! I'm learning allot from following these posts. Vanessa, thanks for the Neosporin kids cleaning foam suggestion. I am including that in my bunny emergency kit next time I get to Walmart. Hope everything will be well with Papaya & you can relax & simply enjoy loving your little bun!

I'm no help here other than praying that Papaya is okay. Oh, & you definitely aren't a bad bunny mom! We have all made mistakes trying to give our pets the best care we can. Thank you for your post & everyone's replies, while I know you & Papaya feel bad about the incident, it helps others like me learn. I just wanted to say thank you all for your advice to Papaya's mom! I'm learning allot from following these posts. Vanessa, thanks for the Neosporin kids cleaning foam suggestion. I am including that in my bunny emergency kit next time I get to Walmart. Hope everything will be well with Papaya & you can relax & simply enjoy loving your little bun!

I'm not sure if the cleaning foam would be safe for rabbits. I don't know the ingredients so can't check that. Generally the plain ointment is the only one considered safe(used sparingly in small amounts), and even that could potentially cause issues if ingested in too large amounts. Neosporin with things like added pain relief, aren't considered safe.

Thanks for everyone's support. I just got back from the vet with papaya. Yes he's going to be ok :)

It's a good thing I did take him though, because it was his prepuce that I cut. His little penis is fine though. It is swollen, but it didn't need to be glued, as its already started healing. It dosent look infected either. My vet shaved that area for him, & he's now on liquid baytril twice daily, just as a precaution. She didn't tell me to put any type of ointment on the area either.

Poor papaya is so stressed from his trip today. We have been home for 1/2 hour & he finally just started grooming himself. He has not eaten yet, so that's stressing me out.

Thanks, JBun! Got it noted, plain Neosporin. For some reason around here it is hard to find the plain Neosporin without some additive so I thought with it being for kids the foaming Neosporin might be easier to find & use. Want to do everything I can, just like Mariah to be sure my buns are healthy & happy. I appreciate all of our more experienced bunny moms/dads sharing their knowledge!

So glad you got Papaya checked out & he is okay! Always makes me feel better "Light heart & light wallet! lol" when we get our vet checking up on things after an illness or accident! I'm a paranoid worry wart with my "pets!" lol

If Papaya's a snuggle bun, maybe spend some time relaxing with him with a good bunny movie, hay & a few healthy favorite treats. I could use that right now myself! lol

And thanks for saying I'm not a bad bunny mum. I still feel terrible that this happened.

Hey it happens to us all. I felt horrible the time I tried to get Chico and Chica to learn how to drink from a bottle instead of bowl. Chico hit Chica by accident and she knocked a ton of skin off of her nose and was bleeding and I felt HORRIBLE. If the bottle had not been in the cage, she would not have hurt herself... so please don't kick yourself or anything.. it's ok.. Accidents happen..

Vanessa

I'm not sure if the cleaning foam would be safe for rabbits. I don't know the ingredients so can't check that. Generally the plain ointment is the only one considered safe(used sparingly in small amounts), and even that could potentially cause issues if ingested in too large amounts. Neosporin with things like added pain relief, aren't considered safe.

That is the type the vet told me to use one time with Chica... I called him over the phone and have used it before on them with no problems. I'll ask him again this week, but it didn't have pain relief it was just the neosporin foam
instead of cream..

Vanessa

You are a fab bunny mom. I sometimes cut Bandy's matts and I so worry about nicking his skin. You acted quickly and looks like he's gonna be fine.

Thank you everyone!

I've been laying in bed for the past couple hours, dosing off & on. I've been watching papaya & he has started munching on some hay, so I have him his first dose of baytril. I only gave a half dose, because I like to give antibiotics on a full tummy. So after his dinner tonight, I'll give him the second half of the dose. He's on baytril for 10 days twice daily. I just want to make sure it won't upset his tummy. When I first got home, & he wasent eating, I gave a dose of oval, just in case.

He's not a snuggle bunny unfortunately. He will let me hold him, where kiwi will try & kill me if I try & hold her, but I can tell he's nervous & dosent like it. He's better off snuggling with kiwi.

He seems better now. I put the full bag of hay on the ground & both him & kiwi went inside the bag to eat. Apparently that hay is better then the exact same stuff in their bunny house!

image.jpg

lol Presentation! Its all about the presentation! Hay is not the same, its how it is presented! lol Glad Papaya is eating & has his own snuggle bunny to make him feel better & snuggle with!

lol Presentation! Its all about the presentation! Hay is not the same, its how it is presented! lol Glad Papaya is eating & has his own snuggle bunny to make him feel better & snuggle with!

They are both most certainty picky little bunnies!

Papaya seems happy tonight. He just had his dinner & his second dose of baytil. He's currently laying all stretched out, with his legs out straight behind. He must be comfy if he's laying like that :)

I'm really glad things are working out okay! I would have been beyond stressed too but we all try our best right?
(Hugs)

Latest posts

Back