I can't decide if I should adopt these 2 rabbits.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pet_lover48

Reaction score
Hi! I'm trying to decide whether I should adopt 2 rabbits. They are a male and female (both spaed/neutered) and almost 3yrs old. They are larger rabbits - English Spot and hot Tot mixed breed rabbit.I'vebeenthey are 100% litter trained and very friendly/tame and that they get along well with each other.

I have done a lot of research on proper rabbit care and am awareof the time/responsibility that they require and that they need large indoor set-ups. I would be keeping them in a Large dog kennel (with 2 extra levels and lots of space, that would be attached to a large exercise pen, so they'd have lots of room. When I was home, I'd be happy to let them havefree run of the living room/dining room area, as long as they would fully use their litter box. They would also have a large outdoor hutch (2 level andlargecovered secure pen attached) that they could use on nice days outside.

I've never had rabbits before, but I've had lots of other pets and currently have 5 finches, 1 gerbil, 2 senior cats (approx. 10yrs, 16yrs old) and

So, do rabbits make good pets? What are the Pros and Cons of owning them?

All answers greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pet_lover48

PS: Attached are pics of the male and female rabbit I'm wanting to adopt

IMG_5264.jpg

IMG_5265.jpg

Wow they are both stunning rabbits! A bonded pair is awesome. Sounds like you have done your research. I can't think of cons. Other than hay everywhere.

I'll give you my list, I've had my baby bun a little over a week now so I don't have a huge list nor do I have the best bond ever with him just yet.

Pros
-He is always excited to see me and come out and play.
-He loves to be cuddled and pet.
-He is ridiculously cute.
-He doesn't have to go outside like my dog 5 times a day.
-He is really entertaining to watch as he explores everything.
-His poops are easier to clean up then any other animal (well, maybe not snakes) LOL.
-He is just overall a job to be around and cheers me up all the time.

Cons...
-Harley is being really difficult to litter train, I think I must be doing something wrong though.
-They're poop machines and need to be cleaned a lot (probably not twice a day if litter trained though LOL)
-They most likely will need to see a vet, in my case the third day I had him.
- They can get sick easily when trying new foods, etc.
- He likes to pee in my bed.
- They can be expensive.
Overall, I think the pros over come the cons... I think the cons list will shorten once he's litter trained though.

when it comes to adult rabbits as these two are:

Pros:
-litter trained already, or train for it quite easily (mine picked it up within a week)
-these two are already bonded, so you don't need to worry about finding a buddy and going through the bonding process
-if you have a good set up, very easy to clean up after
-relatively cheap to feed, if you have a local feed store they usually have cheaper versions of what pet stores sell
-binkys are the cutest and funniest thing you will probably see any animal do, so i would get them just for that :p
-how can you not love those cute bunny faces!

Cons
-can get stressed very easily, which can make them sick, so have an emergency vet fund going
-need a decent sized enclosure for when they go to bed, i would think 4'x3' at least for 2 bunnies(some people keep them in their homes without an enclosure, but
-they dont need to go outside, but do need time outside their enclosure for exercise, a couple hours a day is best(i dont realy thinkthis isa con, since then you get to see binkys :p)
-its a bit harder to find a vet that will actually treat rabbits, there are not many since they are considered an exotic pet

You seem to have done all the right research anyways, so im sure you know all the pros and cons anyways, lol

Geeze I never thought it wa hard to find a vet to treat a rabbit untill I joined this site. Our local vet use breed, raise, adshow rabbits but got out of it years ago. He does treat and spay/neuter bunnies.

They are beautiful buns! Sounds like all pros, litter trained, bonded, friendly/tame!
Great that you've done your research too:D
Yes, rabbits are AWESOME pets!! Can't think of any cons, just that we need to find people to take care of them when we go away, other then that they just require daily cleaning, food, love and play...
Buns are addictive...we started with one, now have 3, foster 1 bun at a time and I want more:p
I say get them!

I think rabbits make great pets! But they're not like dogs that seek to please you. They're a bit more like cats in that they're more independent and want you to please them. They can be reallittle stinkers, but they're also SO DARN CUTE, you can't NOT love them! Some bunnies love to be held and to snuggle, but a good majority aremore aloof. They allow you to pet them and interact with them on their terms when it's convenient for them. But then they like to run around and binky in front of you and then stop to make sure that you're watching (even if it actually looks like they're giving you the stink eye!).

If you don't already, you need to learn about bunny proofing, because rabbits are so curious they have to get into everything and under everything and behind everything and . . . :rollseyesAnd they nibble. It's just the way they are. They're not always super-destructive, but if they're bored or seeking attention, then they sure can be. And two rabbits can be double the trouble.

I think it's great you want to give them an outside play area. Gus has an outdoor pen too. We definitely have the climate for it! ;)Just be awareof racoons, neighbourhood cats, and hawks, etc. And look into getting them treated for mites if they spend much time outdoors.

And finally, one note: Check to be sure they really are neutered before you bring them home. Either the owner should have proof from their vet or you can do a quick check on the male (or maybe even both!) for testicles. But I know someone who adopted a supposedly neutered bunny only to find out she was actually a he and not neutered at ALL! :shock:(Fortunately, though, he was at least litter trained as they'd said!)

Hope that helps!

Rue

Hi! Thanks so much for all the replies everybody. I love this forum, as you guys are all so helpful in answering questions. :biggrin:

I've pretty well made up my mind that I will adopt them. I'll be so excited when I finally get to meet them and when they come to my house. :)

You're right, the pros of owning rabbits definately seem to out weigh the cons.

Funnybunnymommy - Yes, I will make sure to check if they have really have been spayed/neutered, just in case, but I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem because they were originally adopted from the SPCA, who spayed/neutered them when they had them.

Thanks again,

Pet_lover48

PS: If I do adopt them, I'll make sure to postsome pics of them and their cage set-ups.

Hi Kaylee (nice name BTW)

Very adorable Bunnies. When will you get them? SOON?????:biggrin:

I can hardly wait to sse pictures that you take of them.

Susan:)

pet_lover, please do not assume that they are spayed/neutered just because they came from the SPCA. That is where one of my girls came from and she was not spayed. Many of the facilities don't know what to do with rabbits so they end up going out the door how ever they came in.

Hi! I'm pretty posisitve they are both spayed and neutered. The lady adopted them when they were young from the BC SPCA. They were spayed and neutered when she adopted them.

She's had them for about 2.5 yrs and they are a boy and girl and there's been no babies and also their litter box skills areverygood (she says they both use it 100%) and usually if they aren't spayed/neutered, they won't be so consistent with it and the male will usually spray.

Also, she is semmes like a very nice/honest lady and I can tell loves her rabbits a lot. (The set-up she had for them was really nice) and Ishe woud have no reason to lie to me about them not being spayed/neutered.

So, I don't thinkI have to worry about it, but I will quickly check them myself to see if the male's been neutered.

Thanks,

Pet_lover48

Latest posts

Back