I bought the furminator!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phinnsmommy

Reaction score
My parents finally gave in and bought me the furminator. I love it!
Phinn's going through a huge molt, and it helped alot just to take him outside
for 5 minutes and brush him. His coat is so soft and silky now!

He didn't like it, but I can tell it didn't hurt, he just didn't want to sit still.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep him from squirming when im trying to brush him?

Silvie, maybe he'd stay still if you kept feeding him timothy pellets? My buns love to eat and I'll bet that would work to keep them still. That's actually how I got my Christmas and Valentine pictures of them, I fed them so they'd stay in the correct position! I have a Furminator too and I love it, it came at the perfect time because Rory was shedding like crazy. I even used it to furminate myself after brushing him because there was so much hair!

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Hey Silvie, might I ask... what the heck is a furminator?! lol. It sounds really cool!! Do you have a picture of it, or one off line or anything?

Emily
Here is a picture of our Furminator. It's basically something you can buy at pet stores (for about $30) that's GREAT at getting out shedded fur. :)

100_2667.jpg

100_2676.jpg

I broke down and bought it a month ago , halfies with my mom, and have yet to use it,lol. But all it really is is a grooming blade :shock: I wanted to die thinking that all i was paying for was a blade,lol, hey if my blades dull i can pop that out and use it,lol

I looovve my Furminator! I bought it for my cats last year(one has a REALLY dense undercoat thats constantly shedding), and am glad to know I can use it on my new bunnies when they start to shed. There is a furminator website that you can check out if you want to.

I thought it was a grooming blade!

I was looking at one at PetSmart and they wanted $60 bucks for it. That is crazy. I'll have to look around.

Gulliver will let me brush him when he is eating, but only for a few minutes. I guess it gets annoying & then he starts grunting & trying to nip me. So, I have to do it in small amounts at a time.

EileenH wrote:
I thought it was a grooming blade!

I was looking at one at PetSmart and they wanted $60 bucks for it. That is crazy. I'll have to look around.

Gulliver will let me brush him when he is eating, but only for a few minutes. I guess it gets annoying & then he starts grunting & trying to nip me. So, I have to do it in small amounts at a time.
I got mine for half the cost on Craigslist. Ebay is also a great place to find it cheap.

Can you use this on different animals? I mean on dogs? Cats? One of my dogs has very long fur and I wondered if this would work.

Does it plug into something or is it just manual like a brush? Thanks.

It's a manual brush. And yes, you certainly can use it on dogs and cats. I have yet to have to use it on the buns, as a matter of fact! Poor Sunny the Cat has such a dense coat (it's short, but has the consistancy and density of a long coat), and she sheds so badly, I have to Furminate her about once every other day during the summer and spring!

I love it, though...nothing gets the job done quite as nicely and thoroughly as the Furminator!

Hmmm..i haven't looked around for the furminator yet..but i guess i will have to start looking to see if we have anything like that over here....what you guys are saying about it,it sounds really good :)

Cheryl

I love my Furminator! Although I was just at Walmart and noticed that they had a much less expensive imitation. The teeth in the comb look a little wider though, so I'm not sure how well it works. But it was relatively cheap and you could also get replacement blades for it.

I just hold my rabbits while I brush them. No way will they stand still for that! Well, Oberon will if I'm being very gentle and rubbing his nose at the same time. And Loki, well he attacks the Zoom Groom like it was a demon from hell.

we have one that is similar my mom bought it at Bed, Bath & Beyond it was for dogs. I use it on my rabbits all the time, it works really well. not sure of the brand name. it was only like $10.

Hey so guess what!? We went to Wal-Mart today and I saw a blade, I was like what is this? and then I saw that it was the blade for the Furminator (well here they call it the FurBuster) so me and my sis debated and we got it for just $16.00 brand new at Wally world! yes..lo.l It works great so far on my dad's cat (we arent at our mom's house :) )

So far, I LOVE it! And I'm so glad I bought it. It's going to come in really handy. We also bought a new soft brush; so now we have the FurBuster, a new slicker and a new soft brush; which means the kitties can have their slicker and soft brushes back, hehe. We were going to get brand new toenail clippers that were much smaller than our huge dog size ones, but they were $6! Yeah right!

So pretty much we just re-did the inside of our grooming box with new tools! Yay! I'm so happy lol.

Also, we bought a cat-tunnel for training the rabbits (and karlee's buns) in agililty...all we need now is an A-Frame, teeter totter and some standard small jumps, plus a sitting box. :)

Emily

Latest posts

Back