I am so happy I got my bun spayed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiff

Reaction score
Once she reached sexual maturity my bun became very territorial. She would almost never leave her cage, and the few times she did she would just grunt the entire time. It was behavior I'd read could be altered by spaying her, and was the main change I'd hoped to see in her.

I had her spayed 4 days ago and I've already noticed a change. She used to only go a small distance from her cage, now she has gone to most corners of my room.

I have her in her old cage (a large dog crate) for now, because the post-op for her spay said to limit activity including jumping, and her usual cage is a huge 3-level NIC cage that she always jumps around in. So I'm somewhat worried she's only leaving the cage she's in cause she wants to go home, but I'm hopeful that her territorial behavior is actually easing off.

Does anyone have any experience with a territorial rabbit that branched out/stopped being territorial post-spay?

My first bun, Charlie, would start lunging at me if I reached under the bed or near her "space." As soon as I got her spayed that stopped. I have had her for five years now and still haven't had any issues with her lashing out!

It's great to hear that she's coming out of her shell. There's always so many threads posted about people worried about the surgery and is it worth it etc. that it's nice to remember why we actually do it. It doesn't just result in an easier time for the owner, but also makes for a happier rabbit in many cases :) Bandit wasn't territorial before his neuter, but I wanted to prevent spraying which seems to have worked (though he may not have anyway). He also became more cuddly and friendly post-neuter.

^ This is very true. She definitely seems happier now. She has more energy; she comes out and explores; she hasn't grunted at all yet; and, when she reached sexual maturity she stopped doing binkies, and while I'm still waiting to see her jump around again, she has started doing head flicks again at least :)

Latest posts

Back