I am pretty happy with myself.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weetwoo_89

Reaction score
I was spending a few days with a friend, just hanging out, playing videogames (my other addiction besides bunnies). I happened to be taking a break, standing at the door, because the evening air was nice. I looked out in the twilight and saw a beautiful brown bunnie. I got my friend to come out and help me round up this bun. Gosh, it must have taken at least an hour and a half, and I was getting worried because it was getting dark. In the end, we got Sam (her rabbit) out on his leash, and the 'wild' bun hopped right up. Then we sat a wire cage down over it. It let me pet its nose through the wires and it didn't really struggle when I picked it up, so it was definitly someone's pet, at least at some point. It doesn't look very old, a year or two perhaps.

But my friend and I both seem to think that She-bun (yep, for sure a she-bun)is pregnent.

Which has me worried. Because my friend is keeping her currently, but I am thinking, if this doe has babies, my friend and I might be able to keep one or at best two each, and if there are more than that, what then? Also, I have no idea what to do about the whole rabbit birthing thing. So here I am, my RO friends, advice, comments, or what have ye. *runs to read about rabbits and their babies*

~Worried Rae

You Deserve a Huge HUG for taking the steps to Rescue that unwanted girl.:hug2:

She'll be grateful you cared enough and acted responsibly. Before I comment to the topic, just wanna embelish & echo the string of four letter "empathies" that the RO girls on the zootoo thread implied. It applies here and Weetwoo_89, you may have inherited some of the rabbit Rescue Angel-helper genes.

Where's that hug emoticon again?!! ...

Good thing rescuers will continue to reach out !! At the shelter where I volunteered, incoming pregnant females routinely got terminated.

The gals in the Nurse/Maternity Ward [ breeder] section can help on newborns and many of us have helped with unanticipated births by pregnant females too!

Check the Library sections, naturestee writes some awesome articles. I'm short on time w/Rescue Priorities so the wealth of helpers from RO will chime in!

You can do it. It's easy. Get her to a vet. Get her on good nutrition right away.

She'll pull fur if she's about to deliver. She can become cranky. Provide bits of newspaper or non-loopy towel sections for her if she begins hauling things into a corner area to create a nest. Get her a huge water bowl. Get some alfalfa hay.

In picture 2 - http://www.linedgroundsquirrels.com/MariPhotoPage.html see that cardboard box behind the blue litter pan?? Mari had her babies in there, on a clean rug with fur & newspaper bits. About 4+ hours after we saw her plucking fur from her body --

Another photo link: http://www.linedgroundsquirrels.com/AllenBradleyTowerRescues.html

We took a long bath towel and twisted it, then formed a circle for Cuddles and WNZ Marie to give birth to keep the day-old babes in a huddle.

Provide her with a secluded area to have her babies in a stress-free environment.

Hope this helps. Just want to send advance wishes for all you are proactively doing! AND the fact that you acted to capture that dumped female. Every RO'er can help with options for the babes once or if they arrive.

:brownbunny:goodjob:grouphug

Well done for persevering and catching her poor girl. Have you given her a name yet??

Don't forget and put any questions in the rabbitry about her pregnancyas welland all the breeders will give you a help :D

Nope, she doesn't have a name. I think my friend's little sister wanted to name her (don't worry, the rabbit is in our care, but I knew the kid wanted to be a part of it, so it doesn't bother me as my friend will probably be the one to actually keep the doe.), so I guess whatever she decides to call it is what it will be called.

I wish I had gotten some pictures before I left, but I was wound up with catching her and making sure she was eating and drinking, I didn't think about it at all.

Latest posts

Back