i am cinfused in how muhc to feed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beezus

Reaction score
heyyyy ... i am getting a giant flemish this weekend and wanna make sure i have everything straight ... so i am confused on how much i should feed her.... she is currently 9 months old... HEEEELLLLPPP:shock:

The general rule for pets is 1/4 cup per 5 pounds of body weight for adults.
Some rabbits many need more and others less, so it is a guideline.

A 9 month old Flemish Giant is still growing, so should have more food. Some people will free feed them until 12-18 months as that is when they stop growing.

Try giving a large measured amount each day, start with 1/2 cup per feeding. If your rabbit eats all that, then you might need to give more. If she doens't eat it all, then give less. You may need to adjust the amount as she grows as well.

Don't forget lots of hay and veggies if you want.

i give mine one cup of food a day in the summer with unlimited fresh greens like dandelions carrot tops ect. winter i double the dry food and give them straw and hay. the hay is to eat the straw it to chew and to keep warm my bunnies have to stay outside. i give them one hand full a day and wont give them more until its gone or soiled.
your will need an extra cup at least and a really big hand full btw i have a Californian Rex and a REW the californian is @ 15lb-20lb

kitsu4tail wrote:
your will need an extra cup at least and a really big hand full btw i have a Californian Rex and a REW the californian is @ 15lb-20lb
If your Californian really is 15-20lbs it needs to go on a DIET. A californian should weigh a MAX of 12lbs if even that. You need to adjust the amount of food for the indevidual rabbit. What works for one does not work for the other. When i breed Californians they got 1/2 cup of pellits a day along with 1/4 of an oat barley mixture that I make. They would get hay a couple of times each week. If I were you I would check to see if your rabbits are overweight.

I would be feeding a Flemish Giant about a half a cup of food in the AM & another in the PM, which equals out to 1 cup. Of course, this can and will probably need to be adjusted as the rabbit ages, etc.

A Flemish Giant that is over 8 months of age should weigh 13 pounds or over, so staying in that range is a good healthy weight. It's very important to weigh your rabbits every few months so that you know how much they weigh.

@Kitsu - Is your Cali a Cali/Rex cross?
Even Rex don't weigh 15 to 20 lbs, so you definitely need to cut back that rabbit's diet and be feeding him/her MUCH less. I would cut back to half a cup of food; 1/4 in the morning, and 1/4 in the evening. I would also limit the fresh greens to a handful in the evening; and do not keep filling their dishes up throughout the day.

Emily

Carrot tops have 10 times the calcium of any other veggie, so I stopped giving any to Honey. It's fine if the rabbit is still growing or pregnant or lactating.

Latest posts

Back