I am a little more then ticked...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsandLops

Reaction score
I just got a email from a lady that fostered and then adopted a very young rabbit from us (Key, 8 week old Mini Rex). At the time of the actually adoption (about a month ago), the rabbit (in our vet's opinion) was too young to be spayed (has to be older then 12 weeks at our vet). So we filled out all the paper work and agreed that at 12 weeks old she would take the rabbit to her vet, who cared for her other rabbit that passed away, to be spayed. Well I normally wouldn't allow a rabbit to leave without being spayed, but she was a foster and volunteers a lot with us, including adoption events, and we charge nothing more then a spay for a rabbit so it was coming out of her pocket anyway. Well I get an email about 10 mins ago saying her vet refused to do the spay on the rabbit cause it was to small (ok that is fine, so wait a bit) and told the adoptee that spaying a rabbit was the dumbest thing they ever heard of and kills 95% of all female rabbits, oh did I say they said there is no medical or personal reason to spay a female rabbit... WHAT? :grumpy:

So I got out the adoption forms, after sending her an email with all the you need to have her spayed it as agreed on at the adoption stuff in it, and I called the vet she provided. Well I honestly thought the adoptee just didn't want to fool with having it done or spending the money on it. Well was I wrong.

I talked to the rep. and confirmed that she had been in with the rabbit and the rep proceeded to tell me the whole line of stuff the adoptee told me. My mouth dropped open. Oh did I mention she told me that if I was a real rescue I would know all that crap listed above and that normal people are to smart to spend that much money on a rabbit, oh I am so p*$$ed right now. She then told me that they could refer the rabbit to UT (vet school here) if it had to be done, as they have done that before, but it would cost about $500.

I quick told the lady good day and hung up, and then wrote an email back to the lady saying I was sorry but I feel her vet isn't very knowledgeable aboutrabbits and listed all the tumor info and the actual death rate, and I also listed our vets info and told her to call her and get the real facts. I am just so mad right now I can't stand it. What makes it worse is that her last rabbit died in the care of this vet at the age of 3 years old, while he was being boarded over a weekend....

:shock:Um I am with you! :X

She definately needs to change vet immediately! No wonder her other rabbit died.

Yikes! Hope she changes veterinarians quickly...

Denise

gosh that is a really unproffesional vet! and saying it would cost $500 thats just being uncoperative and unhelpful. She definately needs to go some where else.

Well I hate to say I have found out a lot of rabbit owners use this vet, it makes me sick honestly. Before I decided on a vet for my personal rabbits and the rescue, I talked to all the vets I could. I learned how many rabbits they spayed/neutered, success rate, and etc. Everything I could ask I did, and made sure that I agreed with everything before I even told the first rabbit to them. I was very picky. I did the same for when I was trying to find a vet for our Saints.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
Certificates on the wall doesn't mean someone isn't a twit.

Isn't that the truth!

:shock:She should run not walk away from thatplace.

I am so very glad thatI have thevet that I do and so close to home.

Latest posts

Back