Hurt Bandit somehow :( - RIP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azerane

Mod at Large
Reaction score
I'm feeling like the worst owner ever right now. I picked Bandit up so that I could take him outside for his grooming and he didn't want to be picked up today and struggled a lot. I'm guessing that I squeezed him too tight when I was trying to stop him from jumping out of my arms. He was a little more docile than normal when I groomed him, but I really only noticed when I brought him back inside, he went into his condo and sat on a step in a position that he only uses when he's not feeling well.

In the last 15 minutes he's been changing positions constantly, turning in circles, shifting to other areas of his cage before going back to the step, refusing treats and hay and generally just seems miserable. His legs all seem fine as he did a full stretch at one point and is hopping and jumping normally. I'm worried that perhaps I did some internal damage. :( I've already booked in him for the vet in just over an hour (not my usual vet, they're closed today, but I'm told this clinic is good with rabbits - they're an emergency clinic too).

He's obviously in pain though and can't get settled. I just feel awful and it's the worst time money-wise, I always make sure I have enough spare for Bandit but my car cost me $1300 in unexpected repairs last week so things are very tight. I have enough for the consult, but not sure if I could cover the cost of x-rays if they were needed. Consult is a good price at $59, so will just have to work from there. I've never had him x-rayed before so I'm not sure how much that would cost if it came to that.

I'll just be monitoring him for the next 45 minutes until we have to leave for the vet. I could have waited longer to take him, seen if there was any improvement, but I feel awful doing that, especially since he does seem in pain. Here's hoping it's just some muscle aches.

I'm sorry :( Don't blame yourself. These things just happen. We try our best to handle our buns safely, but it's hard when they struggle. We don't want them leaping out of our arms and risk injury falling to the ground. Which I had happen once and the rabbit broke it's toe. So he just as easily could have been injured had you not kept a firm grip on him, maybe even worse. I just wish they realized that we are trying to help them and would cooperate. It would make handling them so much easier.

Hope your little guy is ok. Maybe it's just a bruised rib or something, and some pain relief will take care of it.

Thanks JBun for your support. I know it was the right thing to do to hold on to him, rather than letting him leap out of my arms and potentially breaking a leg, or his back etc. It's still hard to accept that I hurt him.

Vet couldn't find anything wrong by feeling him, though he was very placid at the vet (which is very unlike him). She recommended either pain killers and bringing him home for observation. Or X-rays to look for an issue. I took a few minutes with Bandit to think about it, had him sitting on my lap in the consult room and he was so lethargic. :( I was petting him and he was almost just falling to the side in my lap. His back leg slipped off my lap (since he doesn't fit on that well) and usually when it starts to slip he'll pull it back in straight away. But he let it fall all the way out so one of his back legs was just dangling in the air. Very unlike him. Seeing him like that decided me that we had to get the x-ray. Or I wouldn't forgive myself if something was missed because I didn't. Unfortunately they couldn't do it straight away due to other procedures, so now I'm at home, and Bandit's still at the vet waiting for his x-ray and I just have to wait for them to give me a call. Apparently he might also get an ultrasound, and I'm guessing if they see something on the x-ray that looks suspicious they'll have more of a look with the ultrasound.

So now it's just a waiting game while I worry about my little guy.

Bandit passed away at the vet. They called about an hour ago, ultrasound revealed ruptured cecum and he collapsed shortly after. We're picking him up later today. At least I know I made the right call.

Sooo sorry to hear about Bandit! If you'd let him jump out of your arms the outcome wouldn't have been good either though. :hug2:

Bandit passed away at the vet. They called about an hour ago, ultrasound revealed ruptured cecum and he collapsed shortly after. We're picking him up later today. At least I know I made the right call.

Condolences. Wished Bandit could have carried on for a little while longer. A least way, of all the bunnies born in the world, he had a loving, secure, cared for life that not many bunnies have. He loved you as much as you loved him.

Back