hunger strike

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BethM

Reaction score
I opened a new box of hay the week before last, and none of my bunnies are eating it. They're eating some hay, but they're not scarfing it down like they used to.

It's the same brand of hay I've been using for three years, and no one in my rescue group (where I purchase the hay from) has had any problems. The only thing different is that this box rode around in the back of Jason's car for about a week, as he kept forgetting to bring it in.

I'm a little concerned, as they've always eaten HUGE amounts of hay, and now they're not eating much at all. So far, no problems, but I'm worried. They still run to get their salads and pellets (though Amelia wasn't all that interested in pellets tonight).

I think I'll be opening a can of pumpkin tonight, maybe they'll eat some of that.

Should I continue trying to feed this hay? It looks and smells fine to me, and there's more than half a box left. Expensive to throw away, but I don't want them to have problems because they don't like the hay.

BethM wrote:
The only thing different is that this box rode around in the back of Jason's car for about a week, as he kept forgetting to bring it in.
Maybe the hay has some exhaust or gas smells from the car and that is throwing the bunnies off the hay. Try leaving the hay outto air out and see if that makes a difference.

Pet_Bunny wrote:
BethM wrote:
The only thing different is that this box rode around in the back of Jason's car for about a week, as he kept forgetting to bring it in.
Maybe the hay has some exhaust or gas smells from the car and that is throwing the bunnies off the hay. Try leaving the hay outto air out and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks, I will leave the bin open tonight.
They will run right up and start eating when I put fresh hay in their pens, but they stop pretty quickly.

Of course, we did buy a new box of hay on Saturday. Which is still in Jason's car, as he's still too lazy to bring it in right away. *sigh*

Yeah, I would feed it too. Let it air out, maybe that's what it is. Otherwise, they're just being little heathens, haha. Doesn't smell like me, not eating it! Hee, I'll tell ya, buns can be strange!:p

See if they'll eat the new box, first. Its unlikely but they may know more than you and there could be mold or something in it.

Is it a box made from splitting a farm bale? It could be a different mix than they're used to, maybe the previous bales were a different cut or had more alfalfa or a grass they like better. Or its just older bale.

Also, has anything else changed in their diets? Are they getting the same pellets from the same bag in the same amounts? Any more or different veggies?

Hay is always the last thing on the favs list around here. If they pig out on pellets or veggies (or fruit or treats), they're not too interested in the hay.

I'm sure you are already, but I'd keep an eye on them. It maybe that their appetites are being reduced by something else (another food source, a bug, something environmental, etc) and the hay is the first to go.

sas :clover:

Well, they did eat about half of their hay overnight. So they're eating some of it.

Tobi only eats hay overnight, I call her my Night Feeder. LOL.

Nick and Amelia are the two who normally eat 2 or 3 full racks of hay every day, now they're just eating half that.

I have added kale to everyone's salads. They're only getting small amounts, though. (Nick and Amelia share 6 pieces, each the size of a half-dollar.) Would that be enough to make them eat less hay?
Pellets are the same. Same bag, same amount.

Hay is American Pet Diner timothy hay. My rescue gets it by the pallet, and I'm pretty sure we're somewhere in the middle of the shipment. Doesn't mean there isn't some mixing in the box, though.

The pumpkin was a big hit.....with Benjamin. Tobi tasted hers then turned her back to it. Nick and Amelia thought the dish was a toy and threw it around, but refused to eat it.

I did "strongly suggest" that the new box be brought inside, so it's in now. If the bunnies don't pick up their hay consumption in the next day or two, I will try the new stuff.
So far, everyone seems to be acting normal. I will be watching them closely, though.

You could always try misting it with some apple juice; I've heard that can up the hay consumption for some buns.

Did it rain at all while it was in thr trunk? I had some yesterdays news in my trunk for about a week and it rained. I noticed it smelled moldy and had to throw it all out. But if your hay was moldy, I would think you would be able to smell it.

If it was me, I would try the new box and see how they do. But in the end, I would probably trash the box of hay. I would just be concerned that with all of your rabbits not eating as much hay. To me, I would think that would mean they could smell or taste something off. But I am paranoid.

Well, yesterday Nick and Amelia ate all of their hay, but didn't eat it all today. I've had the bin open. It smells really nice to me, not moldy at all.

I plan on trying the newer box on Sunday, if they don't get back to normal tonight/tomorrow.

I have been offering a large spoonful of pumpkin in the evening. Benjamin slurps his down. Tobi has tasted hers. Nick and Amelia continue to try to throw the dish. Of course, pumpkin shortage and it's one of Benjamin's favorite foods. *sigh*

This is how they behaved, the one time I ran out of boxed hay and had to give them pet store hay for a week. They simply refused to eat it.

Latest posts

Back