humping?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid

Reaction score
I bought this soft plush triangle thing...it sits on the floor and mostly Simon has ignored it. Today...he has started humping it like crazy. Should I take away the toy to discourage this or will he just find something else to do it with?

Just wondering what is best. Thanks

I would leave it. It's better he humps the toy than your arm or foot...

He's a small breed rabbit, so his hormones are going to start coming in soon. You can probably get him neutered at about 4 months, as that is when is testicles are most likely to descend. As soon as they have dropped, the vet can take 'em out.

That type of behaviour is normal for young male bunnies. You'll just have to put up with it until he's neutered.

--Dawn

HAHAHA HA i think i know the toy, I have the ball that is plush with all the different colors. Mine is now on a shelf becasue they were grossing me out when they were violating the cute toy that i got them,lol.

Belle had it before she was spayed and she would take advantage of it all the time,lol, so i took it out threw it in the wash and then later on put it in the guinea pig cage until i seen Charlie in there man handling it so i took it out and washed it and now it is sitting nicely on a shelf, where it is safe,lol.

aurora369 wrote:
I would leave it. It's better he humps the toy than your arm or foot...

He's a small breed rabbit, so his hormones are going to start coming in soon. You can probably get him neutered at about 4 months, as that is when is testicles are most likely to descend. As soon as they have dropped, the vet can take 'em out.

That type of behaviour is normal for young male bunnies. You'll just have to put up with it until he's neutered.

--Dawn

Thanks! The first vet we saw said they like to wait till the buns are a bit bigger, but because he is going to stay small should would have like to have seen him around 5-6 months. The second vet we saw I didn't ask about it because I was more worried about his health than anything else at the time. Everyone has said though he will stay small...not more than 4 pounds if that...do you know does that put him at higher risk during a neuter? Being so small?

I still need to ask Randy who he knows and trusts and see if I can't get a good vet with a better price. The last people I know we would be looking at close to 500. Thats a major ouch for me...

I've had several litters of foster babies spayed and neutered at young ages (4 months and up) with no ill effects.

My vet does many, many spays and neuters on a weekly basis. I believe he does all the spays/neuters for the local rabbit rescues. He is very comfortable doing the operation, and the size doesn't matter.

As long as his testicles have dropped, he should be old enough to neuter. You can wait a little longer if you need to, for what ever reason, and he will still be okay. You may just have to put up with humping and possible spraying...

I have found that the young males bounce back very quickly from neuters. All my foster babies acted like nothing happened.

--Dawn

Oh thats good to hear...
I will look into some vets and see what they say and if whoever I decide to go with is comfy with 4 months I will do it than..of course as long as they have dropped lol.

We got a adult bun about a year ago and he came with a stuffed raccoon and boy does he hump that thing constantly. Of course he goes for my leg all the time. I can't wait to get him neutered lol.

Latest posts

Back