Humma is in the hospital :-(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ape337

April
Reaction score
So last night hubby and I came home from work and Humma wasn't quite himself. Not as active, not voraciously eating his food. That morning was a normal morning. So I became worried. Tuesday hubby accidently left a bag of kale in the room and humma ate a half a bag! I panicked. I sent hubby to the store immediately for simethocone(sp?), canned pumpkin, pedialyte. I sat with Humma and hand feeded hay, he ate slowly. When hubby came back I gave the gas meds at the rate/interval i learned from this forum. By the third hour, around 11pm, Humma seemed to be improving. He was eating better and hopping around the house. He had neglected to eat one batch of cecotropes, but was pooing normally. I changed his box right then before bed so I could watch fecal output.

This morning Humma seemed fine before I went to work. No left over cecotropes, and normal poo in the box. When I came home Humma was not interested in eating. He hadn't eaten his veggies, and didn't finish his pellets from the morning. He was also depressed. I immediately called his vet, explained the situation, and asked to bring him in even though they would be closing at 4:30 and I wouldn't be able to get there until 5:30 because I'm 65 miles away. They let us come. Well, she gave sub q fluids as soon as he got there, then suggested an x-ray to see what's going on. I agreed. So x-ray shows lots of gas, so vet gave us the option of sending him home with meds, or keeping him to monitor, hydrate, and watch for fecal output. I asked for her advice and she suggested keeping him. Again I agreed. So poor Humma, about 3 months after losing his bunwife, lands in the hospital.

So I'm praying for my poor guy, and we are kicking ourselves for being so forgetful with the kale. I think between that and blowing out his coat did it. :pray:

Humma is coming home at high noon!!!!! The vet called and said he's doing very well this morning! Thanks to all the well wishers!

RO saved his life I really believe it. All the info I picked up from browsing and reading other owner's topics helped me recognize very early emergency symptoms before his life was truly in danger. And learning some home treatments/OTC treatments to help ease his symptoms. Every bunny owner should be a member here, so THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :biggrin:

Back