How's this hay rack?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not too big to be honest but if your bun is dwarf or mini lop etc it could work. I have one dwarf/lionhead mix and he was using the same tub quit comfortably, I've changed it just because this new tray is wall to wall and dripping water from his water bottle also goes there.
Normally toilet has to be big enough for a rabbit to lay in it.

I like this hay rack you can use plastic ties to attach them together like here where the red spots are, or, you can attach it to the cage also with the ties and this would be better as firstly you can easily remove the tub when you want to empty/rinse it, and secondly, your bun will have more room there, as I said the tub itself isn't big at all.

tub-rack-1.jpg

Well, you better place the rack over the tub, attaching it to the cage, otherwise it will be very uncomfortable, please ignore my pic with the red spots!

So the tub is possibly too small depending on breed, but the rack is fine, correct? I'll see what other bins I have laying around. I can't attach the rack to the cage because the cage back and sides are wood. I guess I could drill through it and zip tie it, but until I figure out where everything is going to be, I'd rather not do that.

I'm guessing the new bin will be wider, so it won't fit across the top as nicely, does it need to span the entire bin or will it be okay that it isn't that wide?

I also found this bag dispenser for $1 that I could use instead, it just seemed really big.

https://www.amazon.com/Grocery-Bag-...54254351&s=gateway&sprefix=plastuc+bag&sr=8-4

Thanks. 16x23 seems so big to me. Just need to be retrained on what is appropriate I guess. They really do not sell the correct setups for bunnies do they? I'm glad I'm asking all this now vs. it being wrong and having to repurchase everything.

I guess I was avoiding putting hay directly in the box just to avoid so much waste hay. I'm planning on using wood pellets for litter as they are easy to get around here.

I didn't see a height suggestion for the box. Is 6-7 inches fine?

At first, I hated the idea of putting the hay directly in the box. Now, I love it! It's so easy and I don't have to worry about my bun being unable to get the hay from a rack. Some buns (mine is one of these) outright refuse to eat hay from a rack. If you purchase a bale of hay, you won't even notice you're wasting anything! I buy a 50-pound bale for $17-$25 depending on where I get it. That will last my bun 5-6 months. I know some people on this forum, @Blue eyes specifically, get more hay than I do for an even lower price! It's also easier for a bun to get the hay when it's on the floor. Regardless if you choose a hay rack or to put it in, you will still be wasting hay.

That's true, and really I'll be getting the hay from my aunt and uncle, so cost isn't really a thing.

Does it get kicked all over though?

My experience with guinea pigs and things being constantly flung everywhere is making me leary.

With my litter box, the hay stays pretty contained, but some buns may be extra messy. I also had guinea pigs and I found them to be soo much more messy than rabbits.

Back