How to tell iminent birth?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studiobird

Reaction score
31 days ago Winnie pulled a mission impossible and got into Jethro's pen spending the afternoon with him..

Now I don't know how to palpitate, but winnie's behavior is definitely a bit different...

She is "busy" in her cage - constantly moving, rearranging, digging, eating.... She keeps burying food, grooming lots and looking for cuddles. She is breathing fast, but it is also warm here today so that may add to it...

She started pulling fur on day 25 but stopped the same day. She has a big belly and feels heavy, but could be phantom too...

I used to breed rats and knew about labour and birth by the sweet smell... And Winnie has that smell now, but not sure if that happens with rabbits...

Can someone give me some pointers? Is this normal or is it still a possible phantom? I just want to know a bit more... Some of the links in this section are broken so I was not able to check them out...

Oh.. No blood yet, just lots of fussing in her cage... I've covered half her cage in towels to make a nest area, as I did not want to change her cage this late in the process...

There definitely is a smell... Although no one else seems to think so. I can walk outside on my back porch, and tell you if one of my rabbits has kindled from 20 feet away, sight unseen. It's a handy little tool when I don't want to walk out to the rabbitry and turn the lights on. (Note; doesn't work from so far away if it's raining. =/ Poopy washington.)

Just chill. That's the best advice. Rabbit are very instinctual. They'll figure out what to do.

Usually a day or two before birth, the netherland babies will start kicking. I palpate at day 14, to check pregnancy, and lightly from day 28 on. Generally if they start kicking during the morning or day, I'll have them in the wee hours of the morning. But perhaps that's just me.
Sometimes milk will come in. If milk's in, then it's only a short while.

If it was a phantom, I would assume that she wouldn't still be nesting... Does she have a completed nest with fur pulled?

Latest posts

Back