How to tell a false preg from the real thing...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarathustra

Reaction score
I have a question for a friend... she adopted a stray domesticated rabbit found in the area and um the rabbit has started nesting behaviors. Pulling fur walking around with hay in her mouth... is there any way to really tell if the rabbit is preg short of going to the vet? Tnx in advance.

No, not really. Sometimes during the false pregnancy they do close to the same thing if it were a real pregnacy (of course, minus the litter). I'd just wait for a week or so (Seeing how she's already building a nest, she's likely late in her pregnacy- if she is pregnant that is).

I'd just wait a bit :). Sometimes you can palpate her to see if you feel anything, but I'm not sure.

The only way to tell for sure is to wait them out or if the doe has

never been near a buck. I just had my favorite black doe fool me.

She was due in two days and I did my normal pre-kindling nail trimming

and general check-up which includes palping the doe. I felt nothing

but left the nest-box with her anyway. She kindled 2-black otters and

a black. The kits must have been hiding because I can usually feel them.

I don't count on a doe not being bred until the 35th day because I have

a couple of does that have gone that long.

Roger L

You can also tell through palpation, it's hard to do for the first few times and you might want to feel another rabbit to tell the difference, palpate after the 14 day of pregnancy....

With the rabbit facing you on a table, put you right hand on their scruff and with your left hand fell up in her abdomen for "marbles"...if she is very far along you'll feel huge masses in her stomach. If she'sclose to kindling, you will begin to feel the kits "kick" you from inside the womb.

Hope this helps!

Ellie

Oops! Missed pipp's post!

Latest posts

Back