How to teach a puppy to place nice with my bunny.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisysMom

Reaction score
I have a 7 month year old shih-poo (Teddy)puppywho plays to rough with my bunny. Daisy, mybunny is a 1 year old Netherland Dwarf. She is small and verycute.

She is not intimidated by Teddy at all. In fact when Teddy is still she will approach him without hesitating.

The problem is Teddy, he is such a hyper little puppy and jumps on topof her when he is playing. He also still uses his mouth toplay and I'm afriad he'll hurt Daisy.

I've trying putting Teddy in his crate while Daisy runs around thehouse freely to show Teddy that he is not the boss of her but he justfreaks out in his crate because he wants to play with her.

When we let Daisy out of her cage, I have to sit with Teddy and hold onto him so he doesn't jump on her. I let Daisyapproach him and when Teddy is gentle I praise him, when he is rough Isay no and take him away.

When Daisy is in her cage, Teddy sits next to the cage and they sniffeach other. He is very calm, but the minute she is out of thecage he goes all hyper.

It's been almost5 months since Teddy has been with us and Istill have not been able to train him to be gentler with Daisy.

For those of you who also have puppies or dogs, I would love any adviseyou can offer. I want them to be the best of friends and notworry about Daisy or Teddy getting hurt.

BTW, I've attached apic of my puppy. My avator is a pic of Daisy.

it might be a matter of age with your puppy..he's still a puppy! :) they want to play and if he was playing with asibling, he'd be rough.. i'd personally keep them apart until he's oldenough to listen to commands from you..maybeobedience classeswould help? and i'd never leave them alone together.

Spiced77 wrote:
it might be a matter of age with your puppy.. he's still apuppy! :) they want to play and if he was playing with a sibling, he'dbe rough.. i'd personally keep them apart until he's old enough tolisten to commands from you..maybeobedience classes wouldhelp? and i'd never leave them alone together.
Teddy just graduated Kindergarden Puppy School and Basictraining. He just tends to be a bit more playful then mostpuppies. lol

I never leave them alone, when they are both in the same room they are always supervised.

I do hope that he calms down with her soon.

I have a maltese puppy... 12 weeks old and I'min the same boat, and he looks a lot likeyourTeddy. He loves to play with my rabbits andthey are not intmidated by him either... but occasionally he will mountthem from the front and nibble on them (like grooming). Butevery time he tries it I pull him off and say "be nice"... now he justfollows them around and doesn't really try and bite on themanymore. But I agree.. he is still a puppy and he might growout of it all together... especially when he gets used to being aroundthem all the time. Just let them play but monitor him andmake him stay settled down... he'll get the picture eventually... Ihope anyway ;) Good luck

~ Jamie

Don't forget dogs have the "killer instinct".

I've heard one too many tale of a bunny having his neck broken by a dog who remembered his instinct at the wrong time... :(

Be careful.

Can you train him to lay on his bed (orwhatever) when the bunny is out? Can you harnesshim? I just got a new puppy and he is CRAZY!! Forthe first few weeks, I had to attach his leash to the fence when I fedmy cats. He would harass them to no end. Now, heknows it's time to lay on his bed when the cat gets dinner. Iwould be WAY to scared of a puppy getting out of hand (on accident) andnipping WAY to hard. Remember puppy teeth are much, much moresharp than adult teeth. Your puppy might really hurt yourbunny.

I have the same problem. I have a GermanShepherd that doesn't really bother Kelso, but my Miniature Dachshundis a problem. Unfortunately Dachshunds are hunters so I will never beable to trust them together. She's very well-trained though, so I'mdoing my best to teach her the "rabbit rules".

Kricket wrote:
Can you train him to lay on his bed (or whatever) when thebunny is out? Can you harness him? I just got a newpuppy and he is CRAZY!! For the first few weeks, I had toattach his leash to the fence when I fed my cats. He wouldharass them to no end. Now, he knows it's time to lay on hisbed when the cat gets dinner. I would be WAY to scared of apuppy getting out of hand (on accident) and nipping WAY tohard. Remember puppy teeth are much, much more sharp thanadult teeth. Your puppy might really hurt yourbunny.
I keep Teddy on a leash and make him sit next to me while Daisy is outplaying. Each time Teddy makes a move to jump onher I grab him gently and say No. When he is just sitting andobserving her I praise him for being so good.

Another thing I do is that my husband will restrain Teddy while I'mhold and petting Daisy. Then I'll bring Daisy overto Teddy and say "see, nice" If he tries tojump onher or play roughly, I leave the room with Daisyfor a coupleof minutes and do it again.

Teddy's puppy teeth are all gone so his adult teeth are not so sharpanymore. He never bits down, he just opens his mouth when heplays, but I'm still worried because Daisy is a lot more fragile thenhe is.

Latest posts

Back