How to remove solid discharge from rabbit's nose?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodie

Reaction score
My rabbit Henry currently has an upper respiratory infection and has a runny nose. He is a few days into a treatment of an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory, however up to now his nose is still running as normal. It has built up again and it is essentially solidifying and then getting stuck to his nose. So far the only way I've managed to get it off is holding onto it between my fingernails and when he retracts his body (he doesn't like the entire experience as I'm sure you guessed), it comes off.

However tonight when I tried to do that, it didn't come off quickly at all and hardly any came off. He got particularly stressed and I think he was grinding his teeth which I've never seen him do before. I need to clear it up desperately so it's not blocking his breathing (most of his nostrils arent covered by it, it's just at the top corner of his left nostril) but have no idea how without putting him through that stress again which I really can't do.

I thought of wetting some tissue with warm water but as soon as you touch his nose, he immediately (and very energetically) recoils and tries to escape you. He is a very friendly and confident rabbit otherwise so its clear he particularly dislikes anything by his nose.

Does anyone have any ideas? Im even considering asking a vet to do it tomorrow but if I can't do it, I don't see what other methods they would use. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I was going to suggest a warm, damp cloth, but if he is recoiling from that I'd see what the vet can do. You might also want to pm Jbun (Jenny) our health moderator. Haven't seen her on here lately. She may have some good suggestions.

I'd check with the vet sooner than later because rabbits are obligate nose breathers. Having a clogged nose is much more serious with rabbits than it is with humans.

Latest posts

Back