How to reduce still births and increase litter size

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wee Wabbits

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a doe who has had two litters of only one or two kits and they are still born. She didn't have problems in the past, but does now. Getting a little old but would like to get at least one litter out of her. Great pedigree. Bought her from a breeder a few months ago.

Have two other does I bred to the same buck and had 8 big healthy kits with one, and 10 with the other, so know it's not a fertility issue with the buck. Think my doe is just getting to old. Almost 3. All I want is one or two litters then I'll retire her. She is very healthy otherwise. So what do you recommend to help reduce the stillborn rates.

Maybe you just found out why he sold her. I have a doe who is supposed to be 3 but I don't really know, She was also supposed to be a buck. She is very consistent with healthy litters of 8 or 9 with no trouble.

Almost three is not old.shes in the prime of life.too increase litter size you need too rebreed one hour after the first time.if you are already doing this im afraid this doe has other problems.bluebird

How is this doe's weight? If she is on the pudgy side, cut back on her feed a little and try to let her have plenty of opportunity to exercise. Extra weight can decrease an older does ability to have larger, healthy litter significantly.

Another way to increase litter size is to keep her and your buck together, for up to 24 hours after they first mated (but not more, apparently that can induce a bunny miscarriage).

If you keep them together, the doe will keep releasing eggs,encouraging a larger litter, plus the buck is likely to keep 'doing his thing'.

Maybe it might be worth getting her checked over at the vets? The vet might be able to identify an obvious cause for her problems.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back