How to put on a harness

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellie

Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought a vest from Petsmart to take Buster out while it's still nice weather. It is this one:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3074863

Buster still doesn't like to be held. I tried putting it on him just now. I started out petting him, and then slowly put the neck part around. When I touched his under belly to attach the one below he FREAKED out (thinking I was about to lift him) and then the vest started dangling off of him and he freaked out even more. He kept tripping over it, and was running up and down the levels in his cage with it still attached, getting the leash caught on everything and making crying noises.

I may just return it because I really don't like something like that to happen again, but I'd be interested in trying once more.
Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get it on painlessly? (Without making him freak out / get all nervous)

Ack!!! Those "harnesses" need to be banned!!! For whatever silly reason I thought it would be a good one for Rue since he hates to be lifted. Well needless to say I am glad I had him in a fenced area and he doesn't like to be to far from me as the darn thing came undone when he tried to periscope and basically fell off him and I had a lose bunny. Get the H harness. Velcro comes undone way to quick and easy. Plus the H harnesses are a lot easier to get on as you can basically slide them into it.

Oh wow, really?
I thought the velcro was a little sketchy, but I asked the girl what would be better (between that and a different one, which looked like it would be really weak) and she said "DEFINITELY" that one. Hah.. oh my. Maybe it was luck that he wouldn't get in because maybe he would've escaped outside :p Haha

Can anyone recommend one perhaps? I won't be getting it from Petsmart because they only had a choice of 2, so maybe Amazon?

One of the members who does "hopping" here recommended the small cat harnesses you can get at Walmart. I can't remember who it was. Anyway she said they work well.

I got a cat/kitten one at petsmart. It works fine and Cheeto is okay once it's on and he forgets about it. I haven't tried one on Millie yet, but I live in an apartment now, and when I want to take them out I use the stroller. A lot safer for apartment life.

Hahah aawww bunnies in a stroller! Sounds adorable. :p How do you get them to stay in?

Is there any suggestions on how to calm them down before you put it on or anything? I may get one of those clip ones, but I'm afraid the same sort of thing is going to happen again.

Awh! I just got a super comfort harness from Pet Valu, it`s got the velcro but it also has clips on it for reinforcement, I also like that the material is thin because its breathable for them. It`s so thin and light I don`t think she notices she has it on after a while.

I definitely recommend this harness, go check it out :)

By the way, I`m not sure whether I got the new style or old style but its not the pink and green or brown and blue one they`re just solid colours and very thin...

^^^ Link doesn't work... however...

I know which one you are talking about :) The issue with those ones I find is if you have a bunny who hates being picked up or doing anything under their stomach you can't get a good secure fit to them. Thats my experience anyway. Where as the H ones you can easily put on a wiggly bun who hates being picked. Thats just my opinion. I'm far from a pro on this lol.

Ellie wrote:
Hahah aawww bunnies in a stroller! Sounds adorable. :p How do you get them to stay in?

haha it's a pet stroller, so the top zips up. If you search on amazon, they have them from $40 or so. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions!
I think I'm going to go with an H harness that has buckles on both sides... I watched a youtube video about just easily passing it under their tummy, which I think is what we need to do. :)
Also lesson learned: remove the leash before putting on the harness.... seems like common sense now, but not so much before.

And those pet strollers are the best things I've ever seen :p Does your bun like it?

I LOVE the pet stroller, I have a double decker so all six of my buns can go out at once. We go to the park, to the pet store, even some other stores like Lowes welcome them.

I put the carrier down and half of them will hop in on their own because they know it's a good time. I line the bottom with a puppy wee pad in case of accidents and add a hand full of hay.

This is the one we have. My pictures and review is there as well.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00339I750/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that is a cool stroller! I was considering buying one so that I can go for walks with Phoenix as well. I take her out on a harness and she loves it, she doesn`t ever want to go home she just runs and runs. (I should say hops lol)

I do definitely want to look into getting her a stroller though now that I know that buns enjoy it!

I'm a paranoid momma and don't want to have them touch the ground outside- fleas, raccoon pracitic worms, potential disease from wild rabbits etc. Plus the park we go to has a lot of dogs so I would be afraid of a dog attack or the rabbits freaking out when on a leash and hurting themselves or getting away. They are microchipped, but that wouldn't prevent a dog from eating them if they got away. Plus, could you imagine all the chaos of trying to walk 6 rabbits at the same time!?!

My buns just stretch out and munch on hay watching the world go by. Little kids will stop us and sometimes I let them pet the buns (as long as they are well behaved). The rabbits will turn around and stretch out their heads for a pet when I unzip the carrier. :)

They run so much in the house I don't worry about it not giving them exercise. It is more for the sunshine and fresh air. I grow grass for them inside to munch so they don't miss the experience of eating fresh grass.

Does anyone have a link to buy an H harness? I have a velco one and a kitty one but she's too squirmy and can't be tricked into one.

Also, are the rope ones okay? The ones you put around loosely and then they tighten up through a slip knot?

I ordered a cheap stroller off of amazon the other day to try out - can't wait until it arrives! I used to walk a mile at a time a few days a week, but I've been sooo bad about it since I got the bunns 'cause I loathe the heat as much as they do.

if it's cool enough for me to want to get exercise, then it's cool enough for the bunnies to play in the yard (which they love). there's not enough cool hours in the day to take them out for fresh air and then go for a walk afterward and I would feel so guilty if I used up the bunns' "fresh air time" for myself while they were stuck inside!

if they like the stroller, I can use some of the time they'd normally be in their pen to take them for a walk - it's not like they need the exercise outside since the indoor pen is the same size as the outdoor one. they just like the fresh air and the different sounds and smells of outside :D (and luckily, barking dogs don't even faze them if we happen to walk past a yard with one)

That's great! It has been a huge motivator to get me to walk at the park. They love it and I get a nice work out. The park I go to is about 2.5 miles on the outside loop, but there's lots of paths so I can tailor it to how I feel that day. I also don't do heat and will walk at the gym in air conditioning if it is too hot.

Latest posts

Back